Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had issues when I gas up. The gas nozzle will shut off before the tank is full. It happens when I generally need about 4-5 gallons added to top off the tank. If the tank is empty it will fill to about that point and shut off. It acts like it is full. It does not matter where or what gas station I use... it happens every time. It is extremely annoying. What can I do to fix this?

I drive an 99 Eldorado ETC.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,446 Posts
Does the DIC readout of fuel used coincide with your observed "fillups" ?? In other words, when the DIC (after you fill up and reset it to 0 gallons used) reads something like "fuel used 16 gallons", do you only get 12 gallons into the tank......or do you suspect a possible fuel gauge error ??

The DIC readout for fuel used in uncannily accurate - the gauge, however, can be off by quite a bit, even inoperative.

Update your profile - "cars I drive" - so that info is shown in your ^^^ login and location info.........

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the computer that is telling me that. Actually, my dash fuel gauge does not work and I rely upon the computer to tell me. It seems to be accurate. I know that I have to have used that amount, and I have never run out.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,446 Posts
It is the computer that is telling me that. Actually, my dash fuel gauge does not work and I rely upon the computer to tell me. It seems to be accurate. I know that I have to have used that amount, and I have never run out.
Hmmmmm..........OK, after the auto shutoff, can you slowly top off the tank ??? There's a slim chance that the pump(s) are overly sensitive to fuel fill back pressure - some pumps I use seem to trip at 2-3 gallons early, and I then generally fill to the next dollar amount and let it go at that......................

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is what I thought at first. It used to only do it sometimes and only at some pumps. It does it all the time now.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,148 Posts
Do the pump nozzles in Ohio have a rubber cup on the to prevent gas fumes from escaping? If so, try pulling the nozzle out a bit so the tank vents better as it is filled.

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have tried that. I practically pull the whole thing out of the tank. Yes, Ohio does have the rubber guards. Does not matter. I literally can put in about 20-30 cents of gas in at a time for the last 2 or 3 gallons. I was just hoping that there was an easy answer. Like I said, it did not use to be that way. It started happening a couple months ago, and I have lived with it. It is just annoying, especially when it is cold outside.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,148 Posts
I wonder if there is a problem with the anti siphon baffle in the filler neck causing some restriction to gas flow? :noidea: Just shooting in the dark at this point. I feel your frustration though.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
It happened to my Deville few months ago. Every time I went to fill my car up after ~250 miles of driving (gas gauge is inoperative and I rely on the Gallons Used DIC). That's when I use about 12-13 gallons of fuel and the pump would only fill the tank about 6 gallons and shut off.

I had to manually hold the nozzle to fill the rest 6 gallons because it kept shutting off even in slow speed. Problem went away on its own and now everything is back in normal. Very weird.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts