2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the summer of 1967 I worked at my neighbor's gas station/shop -

gas was 19.9 per gallon - yup - 5 gallons for $1 -

C

·
0 Posts
Around $1.25 but I remember there was dip where it went down to $1.06 and then back up

·
Registered
1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.
438 Posts
34.9 regular, 36.9 for premium for my 56 and 57 Bel Air Chevys back when I got my license.
At that time people fussed over the fact that gasoline had shot up from 28.9

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, 2002 Seville SLS (RIP)
81 Posts
Right around 80 cents a gallon in '79. And I was bagging groceries at Country Club market on the work program in jr. high school.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Anyone remember when gas stations had to tape a 1 to the signs as they never expected gas to be above 99 cents? Running around half the night might cost 10 bucks in gas.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Check your driver's license age ...............

I can remember my grandmother driving into the local AMOCO station, asking the pump attendant "May I have a dollar's worth of ethyl, please ?" That was gas for the whole week.

Attachments

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,803 Posts
rodnok01 said:
Anyone remember when gas stations had to tape a 1 to the signs as they never expected gas to be above 99 cents? Running around half the night might cost 10 bucks in gas.
I actually remember when they had to tape a number 2 over that 1.

KOT

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Yeah, I seem to recall around $0.20/Gal. AND that was full service. Back then full service meant they'd pump your gas, check your tire pressures, check your oil AND clean your windows, not to mention that they'd give you free stuff to come in, like drinking glasses or "S & H Green Stamps" that could later be redeemed for all sorts of products out of a catalog.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
Geez, I thought I was old. Dudes remember twenty cents a gallon? Do you remember when a gallon of milk was a nickle and you could buy the whole cow for a buck twenty-five? :)

Just kidding you senior types. Despite the fact that I respect my elders, I still gotta rib you a little.

Gas was about $1.15 at most my local gas stations when I started driving. That would have been just under 20 years ago.

I'll be the one getting hit with the geezer jokes here in a few years. God knows I already feel old as Moses.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
About .90 cents a gallon in 1980.

ratmonster said:
I'll be the one getting hit with the geezer jokes here in a few years. God knows I already feel old as Moses.
It can be tough getting older, but better than the alternative. ;)

·
Registered
1994 deville
51 Posts
man gas 86 cents for super 1986 my first car 1973 chry newyorker 4 dr ... I was a skater and would take my board with me to high school so people thought I skated there and not ask for rides

·
Registered
2012 cadillac cts coupe and a 2004 retro bird
533 Posts
I remember back in the fifties when there was a gas war and full service was 14.9 cents a gallon .

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
they'd give you free stuff to come in, like drinking glasses or "S & H Green Stamps" that could later be redeemed for all sorts of products out of a catalog.
When we cleaned out Mom & Dad's home we found several partially filled S & H booklets. (Not to mention some red pennies and some butter and sugar ration coupons)

I have 6 Washington REDSKINS highball and old fashioned glasses as well as 3 Mobil Oil glasses - one came with each fill-up back in the 60's.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
The cheapest I ever paid for gas, that I can remember, was $.11 a gallon at the PX gas station in Japan at the end of the '60's. When travelled far from base we took 5 gallon Gerry cans with us from the PX. Gas "on the economy" in Japan at that time was over $2.50 a gallon. In 1970 there were very few privately owned cars on the road in Japan.

I don't remember what the price of gas was in 1960 when I began driving legally in New Jersey, it was probably in the teens. But I do remember that tires only lasted about 5000 miles and you needed an oil change and chassis lube every 1000 miles. Not to mention that new cars deteriorated quickly with paint and upholstery fading and showing signs of wear after a year and rattles being constant by year two of ownership. This is why many of us traded in for a new car every two to three years.

The New Jersey Turnpike had a 55 mph speed limit and you were lucky to maintain 45 mph on most of the other roads. Remember the fabulous Interstate system was completed until into the 1970's! My dad's Cadillacs got around 8 to 12 around town and 15-17 mpg on the open road.

Every little town had its' own speed trap especially for town non residents and the speed limit 25 mph or less within the town limits.

I drove my mother's 1957 Oldsmobile Starfire 98 Holiday from Cambridge, Ohio to Pasadena, CA in the Summer of 1964. Interstate 70 wasn't even close to being finished and you used old Route 40 to connect up with Route 66. The route didn't bypass towns and cities so you usually drove down the main street of each one on the way. But I have to say, that while it took longer, it was a lot more interesting than driving across country on the interstate highways.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,799 Posts
Geez, I thought I was old. Dudes remember twenty cents a gallon? Do you remember when a gallon of milk was a nickle and you could buy the whole cow for a buck twenty-five? :)

Just kidding you senior types. Despite the fact that I respect my elders, I still gotta rib you a little.

Gas was about $1.15 at most my local gas stations when I started driving. That would have been just under 20 years ago.

don't mind the geezer jokes. Kind of fun. When I was 16, working as a busboy at a local restaurant, gas was 25cents a gallon. Didn't have my own car so had to use the Buick mom-mobile. 330 cubic inch v8 with dynaflow transmission. On the up side, the back seat was huge, so Friday night dates were good :)

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Good memories of good times Byrdman.
I want to know how you know so much about my life!:lol:
Gas was a little higher, but can't count the times dad would let me have the keys to the Monte Carlo instead of mom's VW.
Would always smile when he gave them to me and palm me a ten or twenty and ask me to fill it when we were done for the night.
Simple fun, where did it go....

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,799 Posts
Good memories of good times Byrdman.
I want to know how you know so much about my life!:lol:
Gas was a little higher, but can't count the times dad would let me have the keys to the Monte Carlo instead of mom's VW.
Would always smile when he gave them to me and palm me a ten or twenty and ask me to fill it when we were done for the night.
Simple fun, where did it go....
my dad did the same for me, and a ten spot went a long way. Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed to drive his car because it was a company lease car, I lusted for. Ford Galaxie with a 390 4bbl; sleeper car, black walls, steel wheels, no frills other than the big engine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts