Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so today my gas needle started acting up I had a full tank and all of sudden at empty it's been doing it all day. I had gotten a letter in the mail about a recall for the fuel pump but I lost letter so I can show the Cadillac dealer so they looked up my car and said that recall is still being worked on. I also started getting an intermittent miss when taking off from a stop so I explained all this to the service advisor that I'm pretty sure my connector is probably burning up but they kept denying me so I ended up calling the main Cadillac cust service and they got me an hour for free to check it . Wat I wanted to know is do u all think the whole miss and my fuel gauge going up and Down could be cause of the recall ..

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Both the misfire and the erratic fuel gauge could have other causes. The fuel gauge, for example depends on two different sensors in the fuel tank which send signals to the computer, which in turn communicates with the instrument cluster. The misfire could be bad gas, a defective plug wire, or many other things. That said, given the recall and the serious implication of a potential fire hazard at fuel tank, I totally agree with your making the dealer eliminate that possibility before looking at other more mundane possibilities.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have to take it to them on weds since I got that free hour of diag idk how Ther gona check the fuel pump connector in an hour. From Wat I know u have to drop the fuel tank to get to connector. Unless they cut thru the top which I don't think they'll do. As for the miss I had changed my plugs already but not the wires.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
20 Posts
Both the misfire and the erratic fuel gauge could have other causes. The fuel gauge, for example depends on two different sensors in the fuel tank which send signals to the computer, which in turn communicates with the instrument cluster. The misfire could be bad gas, a defective plug wire, or many other things. That said, given the recall and the serious implication of a potential fire hazard at fuel tank, I totally agree with your making the dealer eliminate that possibility before looking at other more mundane possibilities.
With the erratic fuel gauge needle, I'm going to wild-ass guess that its "stepper motor" has failed in the instrument cluster. There are lots of google hits for GM stepper motor replacement. Notorious GM-wide fault, apparently.

Darkman, is it possible to probe the (analog) resistance values of those two tank sensors, to check if they are within expected range?

Or are they giving some Class II digital data stream, impenetrable to an analog ohmmeter?

And why 2 sensors? One is fuel level, and the other is ... ?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
There are 2 sensors because the gas tank has two internal compartments. The connections (communication) between the sensors and the computer can be resistance tested (see attached.) The communication between the computer and instrument cluster is through a bus.

12,778 Posts
Ok so today my gas needle started acting up I had a full tank and all of sudden at empty it's been doing it all day. I had gotten a letter in the mail about a recall for the fuel pump but I lost letter so I can show the Cadillac dealer so they looked up my car and said that recall is still being worked on. I also started getting an intermittent miss when taking off from a stop so I explained all this to the service advisor that I'm pretty sure my connector is probably burning up but they kept denying me so I ended up calling the main Cadillac cust service and they got me an hour for free to check it . Wat I wanted to know is do u all think the whole miss and my fuel gauge going up and Down could be cause of the recall ..
Good Afternoon lx5.0,

It is great to hear that we were able to assist with your diagnostic fee, and that your dealership is actively looking into the miss concern. I am more than happy to contact your dealership on your behalf to provide an additional layer of support if you would like. Please send me PM if this is of interest and enjoy your weekend.

Best Regards,

Brandon M.
Cadillac Customer Care

1 - 6 of 6 Posts