Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get maximum gas mileage out of a 92 fleetwood brougham? 5.0 v8.....is there a fuel injection kit made by edelbrok that converts carb to fuel injection? how much is the kit and how much would it be to install?

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
So you want to convert a carbureted 5.0 to a fuel injected one to get better gas mileage? I think you're better off saving your money on the conversion and buying gas with it, you'll probably end up with more money without doing the conversion.

Then again I don't know that for a fact...

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I thought that the 5L in 1991 and 1992 Broughams already had fuel injection? What kind of milage are you getting right now?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
brougham said:
I thought that the 5L in 1991 and 1992 Broughams already had fuel injection? What kind of milage are you getting right now?
Only the 5.7L had FI the 5.0 had 4 barrel carbs which dus a noumber on milage....im getting around lets say 15+-per mile....lets just say i go to and from school which is a mile away twice and i lose like a bar on the dash after 1 round

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
92brougham said:
Only the 5.7L had FI the 5.0 had 4 barrel carbs which dus a noumber on milage....im getting around lets say 15+-per mile....lets just say i go to and from school which is a mile away twice and i lose like a bar on the dash after 1 round
Are you sure it has a carb? I've never seen one with a 5L for sale for those years that mentioned that. Both the sales brochure and the service manual also say fuel inection for both engines. But I guess they could be wrong :confused:

If it does have a carburetor I'd consider that about average milage for a car this size if it's city driving.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
'92 Fleetwood Brougham with a 5.0E engine came with throttle body fuel injection. If yours has a carb, someone put it on there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok then...i must be mistaken...i thought that all the fleetwood broughams with the 5.0 of the same body style had the same engine...i assume i do have fuel injection...but dam...im gettin bad gas mileage! any tips on how to improve this??

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
92brougham said:
ok then...i must be mistaken...i thought that all the fleetwood broughams with the 5.0 of the same body style had the same engine...i assume i do have fuel injection...but dam...im gettin bad gas mileage! any tips on how to improve this??
Ways to improve gas milage 101
Don't drive with a heavy foot.
Use good gas higher octan3e
keep up with oil changes
keep as little weight in car as possible
Keep car clean it is an aerodynamics thing he he
Let the car warm up in the cold

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
That can still be considered typical milage.

I've never noticed enough of a difference in gas milage to make it worth while paying for better gas. Letting the car warm up in the cold is also one of those things that may or may not make much of a difference since engines warm up a lot faster when you drive them. But that could also be part of it too- for that distance it's not having a chance to warm up so you probably aren't going to get much better milage.

If it needs a tune up that might make it a little bit better.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
brougham said:
That can still be considered typical milage.

I've never noticed enough of a difference in gas milage to make it worth while paying for better gas. Letting the car warm up in the cold is also one of those things that may or may not make much of a difference since engines warm up a lot faster when you drive them. But that could also be part of it too- for that distance it's not having a chance to warm up so you probably aren't going to get much better milage.

If it needs a tune up that might make it a little bit better.
About the "better" gas. I have owned all types of cars. Anywhere from a beater marquis, 442, blazer, chevelle, eldorado. I have experimented with gas and octane for ahwile. With the blazer and marquis i always ran 89 and then on trips I ran 93. I do notice the difference in my milage. I have tried it out and caclulated it. The funny thing is even though you get better milage. Its barely enough to cover the difference in price.
Now in my 442, chevelle I only ran 93. The cars weren't happy anyother way and my eldo is 93 min.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts