Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys know if there will be a gas guzzler tax for the cts-v? I live in California, and I am trying to figure out how much it will be after taxes etc... So just about $50,325 sticker(xm radio option) + 7.75 % tax comes to $54,225. How much is liscensing, title, and all that good stuff usually?

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
I'm not familiar with what is considered a 'gas guzzler' in California, but the V, like the Corvette, gets exceptional fuel economy out of that 400hp V8.

As reported by Car&Driver:
18city / 27highway fuel EPA

·
Registered
543 Posts
Iwannav said:
Do you guys know if there will be a gas guzzler tax for the cts-v? I live in California, and I am trying to figure out how much it will be after taxes etc... So just about $50,325 sticker(xm radio option) + 7.75 % tax comes to $54,225. How much is liscensing, title, and all that good stuff usually?
No gas guzzler tax for the V, a car has to drop below 17mpg before this kicks in.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I would imagine that insurance is where it's going to hurt.
Limited production sports car. Ouch.

Then again, my CTS wasn't as bad as I thought it would be either(lots of insurance cost reducing safety features in these).

·
Registered
543 Posts
gothicaleigh said:
I'm not familiar with what is considered a 'gas guzzler' in California, but the V, like the Corvette, gets exceptional fuel economy out of that 400hp V8.

The gas guzzler tax is federal and you see the addition to the sticker price.
Next time you drive by a Ford dealer check out the 03 Mustang Cobra, the guzzler tax adds $1,000 to the price.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I know what the tax is.
I just didn't know if California used a different one (they seem to penalize every other aspect of driving).

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
gothicaleigh said:
I know what the tax is.
I just didn't know if California used a different one (they seem to penalize every other aspect of driving).
LOL Yea I agree...

Also, tags and registration in California for a vehicle like that are going to be horrid because they are going to go strictly on the MSRP of the vehicle and whatever Californias percentage is. In Kansas, which I consider one of the worst but still nowhere near Californias rate, its about 1 percent of the total MSRP. So on a new navigator its about 1200.00. I expect that in Cali, the V would be at least that much to register and then it will go down by some infantesimal amount each year just like it does here :rolleyes:

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
gothicaleigh said:

The 6-speed Corvette avoids the gas guzzler with, among other things, two design features that some folks don't like:

- 6th gear is very tall. 70 MPH is about 1500 RPM in 6th and downshifting is required to pass quickly. Some enthusiasts change their rearends to 3.90 or 4.10 in order to make 6th gear more useable (and get awesome launches at the line).

- They have a PITA "skip shift" feature in manual transmission that forces you to shift from 1st to 4th if you don't rev above about 2200 RPM in 1st gear. Thankfully, this "feature" is easily defeated with a plug-in mod that tricks the computer and transmission.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Playdrv4me said:
LOL Yea I agree...

Also, tags and registration in California for a vehicle like that are going to be horrid because they are going to go strictly on the MSRP of the vehicle and whatever Californias percentage is. In Kansas, which I consider one of the worst but still nowhere near Californias rate, its about 1 percent of the total MSRP. So on a new navigator its about 1200.00. I expect that in Cali, the V would be at least that much to register and then it will go down by some infantesimal amount each year just like it does here :rolleyes:

Oh my goodness they charge you guys that much for tags and registration?!!
Here in Texas it is like $70 regardless of the price of the car. However the Tax is contingent on the price. Boy I really feel for you guys.

When I sale a car the plates are $10 the Registration w/ Sticker is about 50 or 60 dollars.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would worry more about the dealers bumping up the price over MSRP.
I just got back from shopping for a new CTS and saw something unbelievable..
They had that new SSR Chevy in the showroom and are asking 15,000 over MSRP! MSRP was around 44,000 and they are asking 59,000.. Yikes. I'm going to get, I hope, a CTS with the ISC option pkg. I just wanted the 3.6 and the sport pkg, but my wife insisted on the sun roof and bose radio. Well it's still
cheaper then the V will be. (small consolation.. we both would rather have the
CTS-V) :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts