Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2013 ATS
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2013 ATX and I have a 2016 CT6. They recommend an octane of 91 or higher.

How important is it to use high octane gas in these engines? The manual states that the engine may knock if you don't use high octane but we get no knock.

Will it damage the engine to use regular gas, or is there a real reason we should be using high octane?

Jon Baldwin

·
Registered
1994 Concours DeVille, (2) 1993 Allante
272 Posts
Overall performance would be better with the recommended octane. You may get away with lower octane if you drive very easy, avoid hills, etc. but if you find yourself in a situation where you have to accelerate quickly and really spool up the turbo you will likely knock badly and could cause engine damage. Same for a long grade where the engine is put under demand. Your engines likely have knock detectors which change the timing when knock is sensed, but that will decrease the power output and could put you in an uncomfortable or unsafe position.

·
Registered
2013 ATS
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'd like to gather as much info on this as possible. The manual seems a little "soft" on the "requirement" of high octane. It moreso recommends it than requires. It says you may experience engine knock and decreased performance. I must confess we've been running on regular octane and haven't experienced any knock or loss of performance although we don't push the engine unless in the passing lane. i am considering the switch to higher octane though. This is too big an investment to fail to care for it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts