Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS (167k)
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you guys get this to open, i do not have a heated garage or anything. i tried putting a heated bean bag against the door it didnt work, which usually works for opening frozen car doors.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I would say a hair dryer to get it open. You can get these 'heat packs" at the sporting goods area at walmart that is rechargeable. They heat to like 135 degrees in 5 seconds after you flex the disc inside. After you use it, you can recharge it by boiling it. It should suffice for getting it open.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeah that sucks, and then you try the release in the trunk and that won't work either.I used a hairdryer and the sprayed it with WD40 to help keep the water off the mechanism

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6 AWD
429 Posts
I just yank on the trunk relase a couple of time. I lubricate mine with MoovIt or other high performance lubricant. While your at it i suggest you do the same to the power antenna.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS (167k)
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hair dryer is the answer. the funny thing was i got it open at home then closed it thinking i would be able to open it again because all the ice was removed (wrong), so i drove to the gas station when i got there the dang thing was frozen shut again. so then i had to drive back un freeze it again and i kept the door open this time and drove and got some gas. i was in the "low range".

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,306 Posts
Once you get it opened and some WD40 on the hinges to dry them out, put a drop or two of engine oil on it and work the door back and forth to work it in. That will help keep the moisture out of the hinge and keep it working freely.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
JSMeloche said:
............ I lubricate mine with MoovIt ..........
Ive been using Moovit religiously for years since I first tried it.
I wont even come near that WD stuff.
It blows away any other product like it.

Other than the person that gave it to me; in the last 5 years Ive never found anyone else that has even heard of it.

Maybe cause Im in Canada ?
Dont know ?
But do know that it works superior to anything else Ive tried.
And when it comes to using it in/round your vehicle, you shouldnt use anything else.

Does all that the others say, though better, and the key thing is......
"100% active ingrediant/non solvent" !!!

If you need any body, paint, touch up work done on your vehicle you will have no problem.
The W or other like products cant say that. Being a solvent they will cling and absorb into metals. You will never be able to prep, paint, refinish anything that those others have come in contact with.

I got this Moovit from my father in law who worked for PPG. (Pittsburgh Paints and Glass). He was able to get to the slack of ridin a desk in the Maintanance stores. Maintanance needed a lube, but it had to be something that wouldnt interfear with the chemical process of the paint manufacturing.

Moovit is the stuff ! :bouncy:
But Im now down to my last can :eek:

·
Registered
2005 SRX V6 AWD
429 Posts
Are you having trouble finding MoovIt? there is some at my local part store. Might even be some at Canadian Tire. You forgot to mention that it smells very good compared to WD. Have you used it on rust? this stuff is amazing, it will bubble on the rust and basicaly disolve it. Ive had some pretty bad rusted bolt on my old Sunbird and after soaking it for 2-3 minutes with Moovit I had no trouble removing it.

I found a new purpose for it ;) The window in my crappy appartment always freeze OPEN (my computer room is an oven) so I sprayed some Moovit on the window sill and nothing freezes now. Last year i tried WD and it didnt last the whole winter.

Murphyg said:
Ive been using Moovit religiously for years since I first tried it.
I wont even come near that WD stuff.
It blows away any other product like it.

Other than the person that gave it to me; in the last 5 years Ive never found anyone else that has even heard of it.

Maybe cause Im in Canada ?
Dont know ?
But do know that it works superior to anything else Ive tried.
And when it comes to using it in/round your vehicle, you shouldnt use anything else.

Does all that the others say, though better, and the key thing is......
"100% active ingrediant/non solvent" !!!

If you need any body, paint, touch up work done on your vehicle you will have no problem.
The W or other like products cant say that. Being a solvent they will cling and absorb into metals. You will never be able to prep, paint, refinish anything that those others have come in contact with.

I got this Moovit from my father in law who worked for PPG. (Pittsburgh Paints and Glass). He was able to get to the slack of ridin a desk in the Maintanance stores. Maintanance needed a lube, but it had to be something that wouldnt interfear with the chemical process of the paint manufacturing.

Moovit is the stuff ! :bouncy:
But Im now down to my last can :eek:

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,306 Posts
Keep in mind that warm water will freeze quicker than cold. If it doesn't open up right away, you may just seal it til spring.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
I just helped a girl with this at the gas station a few days ago. If there is someone else with you, have one person hit the release button and the other person push in on the edge of the fuel door where the hinge is. Popped right open.

·
Registered
2004 SLS
254 Posts
Yes, this has been a recurring issue when temp drops below freezing. WD40, PB Blast, and various de-icers temporarily resolve the issue. I seek something more permanent.

Considering anti-seize or lithium grease be applied on the flap hinge and pop/lock mech. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1999 Black and Tan STS
753 Posts
When mine froze, i reached in the trunk and pulled the emergency release while prying my plastic ice scraper in the seam.. worked great, no damage.. can be done by one person...

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Closet Boy said:
Considering anti-seize or lithium grease be applied on the flap hinge and pop/lock mech. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I don't see why that wouldn't help toward a perminent solution. I'm a big fan of lithium grease for stuff :D

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,306 Posts
I have yet to have one freeze up on me. I probably just cursed myself but, all I do is apply a few drops of engine oil once a year to the hinge and let it work in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts