Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2005 cts 3.6L

Just started hearing a loud Gargiling sound from inside the dash .. Has any one had this same issue ???

Any responses are helpful thanks ..

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Re: Gargiling sound coming from inside dashboard..

In general, a gargling dashboard means the heater core is only partially full of coolant. It gargles as it refills with fluid. A coolant leak causes the physical coolant level throughout the system to go down in unison. So a leak anywhere in the system equalises so that the coolant levels are at the same height from the ground. Low enough coolant level leaves air in the heater core as well as anywhere else above that level to have air.

You start the car and the water pump starts pushing the air out of the system and refilling it with coolant.

That is general to all cars. Check your coolant reservoir under the hood in front of the driver. It should be low. If it is, look for the leak. If its full, disregard the above.

·
Registered
Cadillac
258 Posts

Interesting. My 2005 3.6 has a sound under the dash as well, but I would not describe my noise a gargling.

Mine is more of a faint sound of actuators or relays or something or air valves changing state.

It has only been doing this for a few months. I get no codes, everything still works 100% normal. I have tried messing with my A/C controls, radio controls, seat heat controls, seat controls, windows, etc. to determine what circuit this noise is part of, no luck. It's not very loud, the radio at low levels will drown it out, so will road noise. I'm guessing that something is not right, because it hasn't always done this. Even though everything is working OK at this moment, I bet something is getting ready to happen.

Any ideas?

12,778 Posts

MRANALYTIKAL,

I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue. Have you had this noise diagnosed by a dealer? Please keep me informed, thank you!

Evan, Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2004 3.6L v6 cts lux
869 Posts

I love this forum. Ok as far as the gargling sound i too have the same problem and after reading this post i checked my coolant reservior and low and behold there's a crack and it's low. I had filled it up the last oil change and didnt bother to check it again. ordered a new tank ac delco part# 25769371 hopefully that will fix my problem and also the prob of the OP. As for Pwayne is the sound an embarrassing slow fart noise when you turn on the climate control? If it is then it's the mechanism under the dash that opens and closes the airway for the vents. it resembles a servo. I solved it by removing the glove box and greasing the "servo" up.

·
Registered
Cadillac
258 Posts

Not really a farting sound either. it sounds like it is coming from more than one place under the dash, near the center top. Almost like random relay clicking sounds, but more muffled than that. But everything works OK. I don't think its my CD player doing things on its own, but i will check that out closer now that this has been mentioned.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts

Pwayne, imagine this...empty your player of all disks, then load one disc...That sound is what the changer will sometimes do on its own. Some were recalled for making that noise while sitting all by itself even without the key in the ignition. That's another thought. Does the key matter to your noise ?

·
Registered
2003 CTS
20 Posts

I too have an '05. Recently, I heard the same noise you speak of. Not too long after, my "Check Coolant Levels" notification started coming on soon after each start up. I checked the coolant level in the reservoir and it was, in-fact, low. Topped it off and haven't got the notification or heard the sound since. I believe the first reply was the correct one in this instance.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts

The only noise from the dash i've heard was the fart noise when I would turn on the AC in my 03. My 06 V doesn't do it... is it awkward I kinda miss it? LOL

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT
1,062 Posts

I have this noise too when I shut off the engine when the heater was in use. I know I changed the coolant 30 000 kms ago so there could be air trapped somewhere in the system. I know that my coolant level didn't change though.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts

Spyke, if you get the engine hot and then turn off the engine and open the coolant reservoir, you might get afterboil bubbles coming from the bottom of the reservoir. When the bubbles stop, put the cap back on. That's all I can think of to get the rest of the air out. Sounds like you still have a small leak though.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
122 Posts

Mine started doing that gargling noise too. I tried burping the cooling system thinking the same thing. Problem is I can turn the car to ON after it stis all night. That noise will happen, engine isn't even running. Sadly it looks like the dash cover will need to come off to troubleshoot it. I don't have time right now to mess with the dash. Wife says it does it all the time but never shown any idiot lights, thrown codes, or shown any sight of coolant running hotter than normal. Just an annoying noise.

I'd say turn the radio up but she lost all her speakers too. Coincidentally about the same time.

·
Registered
Cadillac
258 Posts

Looks like we might have 2 seperate issues, one related to low coolant, and the other more like my problem that sounds like relays clicking under the dash.

Don't think it is my CD player.... I have a single CD player, and I get the sound with the CD running or not.

·
Registered
2007 CTS
1,572 Posts

Don't know about the CTS. But a friend had an older Chevy truck that the air doors would make a god awful noise for about 5 minutes after it was first started. Kinda a growl,click, growl,click. I think it was just getting old. It would eventually stop. Think at the time the truck was about 7 or 8 years old

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8 Manual Transmission
21 Posts
I started noticing like sound coming from behind dashboard... The sound I hear is identical to the sound a hard drive makes when there is an inadequate amount of power available. Is there a small hard drive located behind the DIC? I hear it on startup which would replicate that type of scenario.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac cts
7 Posts

Interesting. My 2005 3.6 has a sound under the dash as well, but I would not describe my noise a gargling.

Mine is more of a faint sound of actuators or relays or something or air valves changing state.

It has only been doing this for a few months. I get no codes, everything still works 100% normal. I have tried messing with my A/C controls, radio controls, seat heat controls, seat controls, windows, etc. to determine what circuit this noise is part of, no luck. It's not very loud, the radio at low levels will drown it out, so will road noise. I'm guessing that something is not right, because it hasn't always done this. Even though everything is working OK at this moment, I bet something is getting ready to happen.

Any ideas?

HELLO, MY 2006 CADILLAC CTS IS ALSO MAKING A SOUND IN THE DASH. I CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS. IT SEEMS TO BE DOING ALL THE TIME NOW WHEN THE CAR IS ON. I AM THINKING OF SELLING MY CAR MAYBE. BUT NOW I KNOW ANYONE WHO LOOKS AT IT WILL WANT TO KNOW WHAT THAT IS & PROBABLY NOT WANT TO BUY IT. EVEN IF I DONT SELL IT, I WANT TO FIX WHAT EVER IS GOING ON BEFORE IT DOES MORE DAMAGE? IT SOUNDS COMPUTERIZED ALMOST. LIKE SOMETHING CLICKING AND MALFUNCTIONING..ITS NOT 'REALLY' LOUD..BUT NOTICEABLE FOR SURE. I WAS WONDERING, DID YOU EVER FIGURE OUT WHAT THAT SOUND WAS IN YOUR CAR?? HELP WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED. THANKS, RACHEL

·
Registered
2006 CTS
122 Posts
That gurgling sound... or like actuator doors not moving correctly. That is what mine sounds like. Topped off coolant, burped system several times. No luck. Here is a simple test to see if it is the same problem I have.

Cold car, turn ignition to On. Turn on heater, set to AC, and floor. Noise or no noise. Now set to just vent. Check again. Now set to just defrost. Check again.

On my car that sound happens all the time unless I set the system to Defrost. Then it shuts the heck up and just work right. I believe one of the actuator motors, vacuum to it, or doors is not functioning properly. Which all indicates pulling the dash pad and getting closer to the problem to see exactly where it happens and watch all the actuators and doors move. Haven't had to do much work on this CTS, but most cars are a pita to pull the dash cover so you can see what is going on.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts