Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
I mentioned years ago here on this forum that I've PROUDLY owned a bunch of Eldorados... a bunch Coupe de villes, a bunch of Sedan de villes and then got BIT by the CTS WAGON as something daring that Cadillac experimented with. Dang I still love this wagon, sleek sexy lines and her tail lights... and of course the road performance.
You are right on target!!! Don't overdo it today!!!Marv

·
Premium Member
CTS WAGON 3.6 AWD PREMIUM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
CONTACT! Hatch open... juice to dashboard heheheheh... we just hooked up our Power Supply/Jump Starter... and was then able to open the hatch.

Tomorrow will hook up the battery... well actually. I may hold off on putting in the battery until the alternator comes in, I get air into passenger side rear tire... its completely flat... then try to roll it out of the garage and ship it to my mechanic... anyway... one step at a time.

I'm targeting Wednesday for the Caddy to be at the mechanic's

IMG_4043.JPG

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hey all,

1) any suggestions on brakes... rotors pads etc... we will replace all four corners.

2) any suggestions on tires... all four.

BTW our wagon is the Premium and we have the 19" rims

Thankssssssss

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
CONTACT! Hatch open... juice to dashboard heheheheh... we just hooked up our Power Supply/Jump Starter... and was then able to open the hatch.

Tomorrow will hook up the battery... well actually. I may hold off on putting in the battery until the alternator comes in, I get air into passenger side rear tire... its completely flat... then try to roll it out of the garage and ship it to my mechanic... anyway... one step at a time.

I'm targeting Wednesday for the Caddy to be at the mechanic's

View attachment 436986
WOW that's GREAT!!! Your new battery has a very black positive post (plus it looks like it made by Exide, the worst quality) and it needs cleaning prior to installation (meaning it will have corrosion during it's life, bad seal between the post and the plastic cover. I was in the battery industry for 26 years). I would return it and get a Walmart H8 battery, you really don't need AGM. Put some cardboard under you battery!

Good luck with whatever you do, please keep us informed of your progress, Marv

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
AAIIIC... THANKS for the photo editing! ...just saw it, cheers!

----------

Tomorrow I will remove the plastic caps from the battery terminals, and take a better photo... I hope it's the plastic caps that you see... if not, I will DEFINITELY return it! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
AAIIIC... THANKS for the photo editing! ...just saw it, cheers!

----------

Tomorrow I will remove the plastic caps from the battery terminals, and take a better photo... I hope it's the plastic caps that you see... if not, I will DEFINITELY return it! Thanks!
Sorry, it looked like the pos terminal was wet/black,indicating a bad seal. Marv

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,417 Posts
Hey all,

1) any suggestions on brakes... rotors pads etc... we will replace all four corners.

2) any suggestions on tires... all four.
I just replaced my OEM brakes after 120,000 trouble free miles. After that kind of service I replaced them with OEM. No reason not to.

Tires, there are lots of options. Maybe read up on different descriptions.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,358 Posts
Congrats on the progress made thus far. Those battery jumper packs are quite handy - I picked one up at Harbor Freight a few months back and have already put it to use a couple times.

2) any suggestions on tires... all four. BTW our wagon is the Premium and we have the 19" rims
For (1), while I concur that OEM will work just fine, OEM is also quite a bit more expensive than a wide variety of aftermarket options that will also work just fine. If you want to stick with OEM, note that you can save a lot by getting the OEM ACDelco parts online (either rockauto.com or Amazon) rather than thru the dealer. You'll need to know whether you have the JE5 (standard) or J55 (heavy duty) brakes in order to get the right parts.

My suggestion would be Centric Premium rotors and (keeping it in the ACDelco family) ACDelco Professional grade ceramic pads.

For (2), I would look at the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 or Kumho ECSTA 4X II, either of which will get the job done nicely. There are certainly better tires out there, but those better tires are also significantly more expensive and probably not worth the extra dough for your intended usage. I have the Sumitomos on my Mustang's winter wheels, just to have something decent on the car for the rare occasion it gets driven in cold weather. I've been pretty happy with them for that purpose so far. The Kumhos are a little more expensive, but scored quite a bit better in Tire Rack's comparison testing.

·
Registered
CTS 2008 3.6DI Sport Luxury
1,027 Posts
Better stay with OE rotors and pads. I tried Centric and AC Delco rotors and I would never buy it again.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Yeah, will do, thanks!

----------

We have 77,000 on ours, the problem is, the first 35,000 miles were from the first owner... me too, I use the brakes less than the average and tend to get a lot of miles out of them. But better safe than sorry we will change the brakes out and "start fresh". I'm setting it up for a NY-Cali-NY drive... the second cross country trip we will make with the wagon.

----------

HA! The plot thickens, thanks for raising the J55 or JE55 models... it would have DEFINITELY been an oversight on my behalf, thanks for the heads up. I have to investigate the "packages" added to our Premium model... all I remember is the dealer telling me that our Premium has all the options... not sure if he would have included heavy duty brakes... although we have AWD... hmmmm...

In re: to tires our main purpose is to take the wagon on its second cross country drive... NY to Cali and back to NY... SO I will be looking for a safe perfoming tire, I realize this comes at a cost, but worth it.

Thankssssssss!

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Since we don't have heat or electricity in the garage, the snow and ice is slowing progress, but I am still waiting for the new alternator to arrive via ROCKAUTO... IN THE MEANTIME I am patiently watching our cat play with The Mini Wagon hehehehehe

IMG_4312.JPG

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
:::LONG:::
LOL That abominable beast... and 72mph winds today! Heheheheh

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
10,082 Posts
It was not nice here, either. Between Sunday & today our local snow total was in the 12-16" range. Not nearly as windy as your area, but windy nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
AAIIIC, thanks again for this comprehensive comment... I studied your comparisons and I agree with you in re: to the Sumitoros! They offer a lot for the price.

At this point because we do cross-country drives with the wagon, am looking at the
BFGOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S
245/45ZR19
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 98W

$175 per tire

There are tires that are $50 more or higher that doesn't have a good all weather performance... the $225+tire seems to just offer a rating from W @168mph to a Y @186mph

Cheers and thanks again!

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
10,082 Posts
Sweet! One step closer...

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Thanks for the heads up marv... yeah my background was building/rebuilding muscle cars, racing 1/4 mile cars as well as Oval Track cars in the NASCAR super stock circuit... back in The day.

I'm just wondering if the alternator can be swapped through the top of the engine bay/hood open/of the CTS... without extraordinary hassles... if so... I'm doing it... if not, will get the mechanic over to do it.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Thanks for the heads up marv... yeah my background was building/rebuilding muscle cars, racing 1/4 mile cars as well as Oval Track cars in the NASCAR super stock circuit... back in The day.

I'm just wondering if the alternator can be swapped through the top of the engine bay/hood open/of the CTS... without extraordinary hassles... if so... I'm doing it... if not, will get the mechanic over to do it.
CadiOne, love your auto background, yeah back in the day! :cool2:

I would have the mechanic do the installation. If you can get your Wagon out of the garage (pushing it out without starting it), have a flatbed take it to your mechanic for the alternator and other fluid changes you will need to have done. I'm keeping my finger crossed for you!

Marv

41 - 60 of 94 Posts