Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sport Wagon
1,462 Posts
It's a wagon. No e-handle.

CadiOne, there is a "restart" feature to follow when you change out your battery. It is in your manual, easy to do and follow.

Dave, my battery changeout was just one beer, and I had to swig to get it all in for just one.
ha, yea, your hatch was open though right? I'll give you 1 beer with the hatch open.

you have to pull on the fuse box and angle the battery just right to get the new one in. Just think that will be a big PIA trying to get it in while reaching in from inside the car.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,420 Posts
Yep, Dave, butt end open to the world. Sooo much easier than hatch down. I can't imagine doing it that way. What a pain in the hatch. (ouch!)

Reactions: CadiOne

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Yep, Dave, butt end open to the world. Sooo much easier than hatch down. I can't imagine doing it that way. What a pain in the hatch. (ouch!)
I would put the battery in the trunk and connect jumper cables to the old battery and try the truck membrane switch. Otherwise I would remove the battery and hook the jumper cables to the new battery and the car's cables. Double check the polarity before doing this!!! Either way it will be a pain in the ass!!! Marv

·
Registered
2012 BMW 550i xDrive MSport, 2015 Chevy SS, 2017 Camaro, 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
1,243 Posts
When you start it replace engine oil asap.
I would HIGHLY advise you to change the oil before starting the engine. Even though it was garaged, temperature swings will cause condensation in the engine. I had let my 2000 3.8 V6 Firebird sit in a garage for about a year, and nearly a gallon of water came out of the pan before the oil even started draining. At the very minimum, pull the dipstick to check before starting. If the oil looks watered down at all, replace it first. Honestly, you're going to change it anyway, might as well do it before starting.

Very sorry to hear about your health issues, OP. If I was closer to you, I'd be more than happy to lend a hand. Hopefully someone closer to you than me with the appropriate technical knowledge will see this post and offer their help!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,420 Posts
Actually a good call, Marv.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,361 Posts
I would put the battery in the trunk and connect jumper cables to the old battery and try the truck membrane switch.
What is a "truck membrane switch"? :confused: I'm assuming that's auto-correct-ese for "trunk release switch"?

Do these cars not have jumper locations under the hood somewhere? With other cars I've dealt with that had the battery somewhere other than the engine bay (BMWs and Miatas), there were jumper connections under the hood so that you didn't have to go digging around in the trunk or under the back seat or wherever to get to the actual battery terminals. Assuming there are terminals under the hood somewhere, might be easier for Josh to hook the new battery there with jumper cables and pop the rear hatch that way.

·
Registered
15,420 Posts
Yes, under the hood there is a red plastic cap - positive - and use steel for the negative.

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Yes, under the hood there is a red plastic cap - positive - and use steel for the negative.
Yes, tinman is correct, but if you go directly to the battery,you bypass 10' of wiring and resistance. The membrane switch is above the license plate light and it releases the tailgate. Marv

·
Premium Member
CTS WAGON 3.6 AWD PREMIUM
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
DEAR ALL HERE! I am HUMBLED BY THE OUTPOURING of help, assistance and knowlege given to me here... but please remember... don't feel sorry for me for my health or handicap... disability etc... i do my best to LIve, not just exist... I hate to sit back and watch.

BTW... I had to climb in thru the car to swap out the battery the very first week we owned the wagon! There was a drain on the battery that killed it and since I can't open my hood in my garage as there is a huge garage shelf that the nose parks under... I can't open the hood LOL.

WHEN the car was last run, I "smartly" left the rear hatch ajar... but in 3 years, somehow... a cat or squirrel... came in and closed it LOL.

ANYWAY... today we are, my wife and I, are heading to the garage... and begin to breath life back into our baby... the wagon... will post pics of progress ��

Much appreciated AGAIN for the help here!

Cheers,
Josh

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,284 Posts
looking forward to reading the progress and about the first drive! Good Luck,

Bill

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
10,100 Posts
Once you get it fired up, don't leave it unattended...Marv is in the early stages of "wagon withdrawal". He's only a plane ticket away.

·
Registered
15,420 Posts
Once you get it fired up, don't leave it unattended...Marv is in the early stages of "wagon withdrawal". He's only a plane ticket away.
NO wonder Marv offered to "help",lol.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
LOL LOL LOL... If Marv makes it this way... he is more than welcome to take my wagon for a weekend...

Here in these photos, we've begun to uncover the wagon. You can also see (barely) the shelf that prevents us from opening the hood...

(Apologies that the photo is crooked :) but the forum didn't allow this size photo upright so I has to turn it 90 degrees... weird)
This garage was built in the early 1930s when everyone had a small model T Ford or thereabouts in size.
No electric inside the garage... just a brick "car port" with a garage door.

[Rotated and lightened up a bit to make it easier to see the shelf. - AAIIIC]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Here you can see the inside battery panel removed and the mess I created trying to squeeze through into the back... I GUESS my big MOOSE hat didn't help me LOL IMG_3999.JPG

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The best remark I've gotten on my hat, and I'm talking hundreds was a man who called out to me... "HEY!" As I looked alertly at him he continued "you better be careful, it's HUNTING SEASON!" As you could guess... I laughed my arse off :)P

I think he's just trying to keep Marv at a distance by looking "elk-like" :histeric:

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Marv... Hatch not open yet... to keep my wife and family happy, I am pacing myself with this project so they won't get nervous that I'm "over-doing" it... i spent a lot of time clearing off the wagon, strategically moving the battery to the wagon and then in... I prepared all the tools and jumper cables etc...

I will do a little more (about an hours worth of work) on the wagon late this afternoon...

Cheers ALL again for info and most of all SUPPORT!
Josh

IMG_4007.JPG
BTW everything inside the green circle is implanted within me... in the holsters are the 2 14.4v lithium batteries that spin my heart pump at 8600rpms... then there is the computer around my waist that monitors the pump...

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I mentioned years ago here on this forum that I've PROUDLY owned a bunch of Eldorados... a bunch Coupe de villes, a bunch of Sedan de villes and then got BIT by the CTS WAGON as something daring that Cadillac experimented with. Dang I still love this wagon, sleek sexy lines and her tail lights... and of course the road performance.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts