Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Premium Member
CTS WAGON 3.6 AWD PREMIUM
43 Posts
Hello all, as the title states, my 2010 CTS wagon (full synthetic oil) has been garaged and not started since 2014... and I need HELP in knowing what steps to take. BTW, my mechanic, to my SURPRISE never even knew that Cadillac made a wagon and I know I won't be able to afford a Caddy dealer to straighten out my wagon so...

In 2014, while a few blocks from my home, the Cadiwagon's battery light came on, the headlights grew dimmer and dimmer but I managed to make it into my garage where the car engine literally died, because the battery died.

So I'm thinking it's the alternator at fault for not charging the battery, since the battery at the time was less than a year old.

::::WHY have the wagon sat for 3 years... and haven't worked on the problem...
Well, it's a deep question to answer, but to make a long story short I am on a Life Support system, a revolutionary heart pump implanted in my chest... soooooo although I am alive :), our monetary budget is so tight HOWEVER, I just received a new credit card recently and have decided to get my cadiwagon back on the road... one last time.

So I am faced with many questions in my head...

1) what is the BEST battery for the CTS wagon... as it is located in passenger side 1/4 panel... I am looking at the XS Power models but not sure.

2) what is best alternator to replaced mine? OE? Aftermarket?

3) do I, can I, myself drain the gas tank because the fuel probably separated while sitting 3 years... or is this even warranted these days ( I come from the muscle car era of the 1970s so it was needed then.)

4) what procedures should I take in starting engine for first time?

5) once I get her started, running... I will then have her flatbedded to my mechanic for a full engine check, brakes and tires replaced...

6) engine tuneup... any recommendations for what parts/wires to use for peak performance?

Thanks to anyone who can spend a some time in answering any of my questions or share relatable experiences...

Cheers,
Josh

IMG_3728.JPG

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 RWD Sport Wagon (traded in for a 2011 Lexus LS460 on 12/20/17)
321 Posts
If I were you, I'd have it taken to your mechanic before messing with it.

1) The battery may be ok. It can be checked easily enough and charged up.

2) For a new alternator, go with OEM only. I had mine replaced last year, and my mechanic said the same thing. It cost $771, including labor. I know the alternator was over $500. The non-OEM alternators just don't work properly in these cars.

3) Again, your mechanic will be better able to do this stuff, but yes, draining the old gas and checking the fuel lines and filter would be a good first start. Check all the other fluids and do an oil change, too.

4) As to starting procedure, well, after doing #2 & 3, it may just start right up.

6) There isn't a lot of aftermarket tuning available. I would just stick with stock parts and a tune up.

Good luck!

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
If I were you, I'd have it taken to your mechanic before messing with it.

1) The battery may be ok. It can be checked easily enough and charged up.

2) For a new alternator, go with OEM only. I had mine replaced last year, and my mechanic said the same thing. It cost $771, including labor. I know the alternator was over $500. The non-OEM alternators just don't work properly in these cars.

3) Again, your mechanic will be better able to do this stuff, but yes, draining the old gas and checking the fuel lines and filter would be a good first start. Check all the other fluids and do an oil change, too.

4) As to starting procedure, well, after doing #2 & 3, it may just start right up.

6) There isn't a lot of aftermarket tuning available. I would just stick with stock parts and a tune up.

Good luck!
There is no way that the battery is OK after sitting for 3 years! I would call a tow truck and have it delivered to your trusted independent mechanic. Don't mess with it, just suck it up and pay for what is needed. Good Luck, Marv

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave... Thank you, your quick response is much appreciated and seriously noted. Josh

----------

Marv, thanks for quick support... will take one step at a time with a mechanic leading the way. Josh

----------

But... batteries used on the CTS sedan, coupe and wagon are all the same... altho the wagon has it in the rear 1/4 panel? I still need to get a working battery in it, NOT TO START but to get the power to the open windows and to have accessory mode to prepare the wagon for the flatbed. Thanks again... cheers, josh

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Dave... Thank you, your quick response is much appreciated and seriously noted. Josh

----------

Marv, thanks for quick support... will take one step at a time with a mechanic leading the way. Josh

----------

But... batteries used on the CTS sedan, coupe and wagon are all the same... altho the wagon has it in the rear 1/4 panel? I still need to get a working battery in it, NOT TO START but to get the power to the open windows and to have accessory mode to prepare the wagon for the flatbed. Thanks again... cheers, josh
Go to Walmart and get a battery for $140ish. There is no need to overpay for a battery, you don't need AGM. Just make sure it's sealed and has a provision for a vent tube. I believe Walmart's part number is H8. I'm sorry to hear of your heart problems and wish you well. I will have you in my prayers! Marv

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Marv, prayers always welcome and certainly reciprocated...cheers, but no need to feel sorry... this heart pump was suppose to last me 3 years... and I'm on 7 years and counting, I don't want a heart transplant so I'm riding this Bionic life out. If you google "from the bottom of my LVAD" that's me... or "LVADone"
LVAD = Left Ventricular Assist Device

And oh... LOL Thanks for battery info too... as I was looking at the AGMs... cheers again, josh

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,327 Posts
You could put the battery on a charger and it may be fine; yes, it's ~6 years old, but for 1/2 that time it hasn't seen any use, so it's not as old as it seems. Try jumping the car (not to actually start it, but just to put some juice into the battery) and then put it on a charger.

OEM alternator is #20821397 - list is over $500, but you can find it substantially cheaper online. Rockauto.com has it for $258 (as ACDelco 25480514 / GM 20821397); if you order from there, on the shopping cart page enter 5634196750276803 in the "How Did You Hear About Us?" block and you'll get 5% off that price. The only reman that Rock Auto has available is only $20 cheaper, so might as well go with the OEM.

The gas is probably fine. How full was the tank when the car died? If the tank was not full, you could just fill the tank with fresh gas and it should be fine. If the tank was nearly full, you could add some fuel stabilizer (Stabil or whatever), then once you've got battery power, cycle the ignition a few times to get the fuel pump to prime and stir things up in the tank.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will post updates and pics of the progress made...

----------

AAIIIC !!!

Much appreciated with that! Woooo hooo :)

Yeah of course I don't want to mess up the Caddy or myself up trying to work on the problems myself and of course I need to watch my budget BUT MY OWN PRIDE in trying to accomplish any of this work is my best medicine as I've always worked and built muscle cars... I will do as much as I can, at a slow comfortable pace just to get it flatbed ready...

I will take your suggestions as I did have this scenario in my head... but it's reassuring that another mind confirms what I think could be possible... charging battery... fuel... etc...

LASTLY... I gotta get a battery for my keyless fob as it is dead asa doorknob too LOL

CHEERS and thankssss,
Josh

----------

AAIIIC...

Also, ironically I saw Rockauto on foxnews today and did see the price difference of $20! Also their 5% is now 10%.

J

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sport Wagon
1,443 Posts
You could put the battery on a charger and it may be fine; yes, it's ~6 years old, but for 1/2 that time it hasn't seen any use, so it's not as old as it seems. Try jumping the car (not to actually start it, but just to put some juice into the battery) and then put it on a charger.

OEM alternator is #20821397 - list is over $500, but you can find it substantially cheaper online. Rockauto.com has it for $258 (as ACDelco 25480514 / GM 20821397); if you order from there, on the shopping cart page enter 5634196750276803 in the "How Did You Hear About Us?" block and you'll get 5% off that price. The only reman that Rock Auto has available is only $20 cheaper, so might as well go with the OEM.

The gas is probably fine. How full was the tank when the car died? If the tank was not full, you could just fill the tank with fresh gas and it should be fine. If the tank was nearly full, you could add some fuel stabilizer (Stabil or whatever), then once you've got battery power, cycle the ignition a few times to get the fuel pump to prime and stir things up in the tank.
agree with charging/jumping the car first. You will have to do this anyway to get the hatch open to get to the battery. The hatch only has an electronic latch only - you can't open without power.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
agree with charging/jumping the car first. You will have to do this anyway to get the hatch open to get to the battery. The hatch only has an electronic latch only - you can't open without power.
After 3 years, the battery is too sulfated to be usable. I wouldn't try to charge it in your wagon. Agreed that you need to 'put' voltage to it to open the hatch, but don't try to charge it unless you like rotten eggs in your Wagon!

My nieces grandson (16 days old) is in Stanford University Children's right now awaiting a heart transplant (Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome). I will look up your "LVADone" to see how it works. His facebook page is ..........https://www.facebook.com/HeartbeatsForBrayden/. For anyone able to contribute, https://www.gofundme.com/baby-braydens-fight-for-life

Marv

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANKS Dave, yup... I know about the electronic latch for rear hatch. I have to crawl into the back and jump or replace battery... as my garage, seen in the photo on my posthas a shelf system that the nose of the Caddy drives under... SO I CANT OPEN THE HOOD, unless I pull the Caddy back away from shelf... so... I think because of this, I will just pick up a freshly charged battery... to save time and aggravation. Cheers and thank you, josh.

----------

Hey Marv... I'm getting a new battery just to make things simpler...

Also my LVAD, does the work of my left ventricle it's suppose to be a "bridge to transplant" making people live long enough to get one, since waiting list is so long. I took myself off the waiting list so that younger people thanme can get a transplant... I advocate people, especially kids like you 16 yo nephew to get one... BUT depending on the hospital he goes to, they may not know about the LVAD... as it does the work,of the left ventricle.

This heart pump was actually on the SPACE SHUTTLE as a hydraulic pump, then refitted to be a blood pump... of you look up "from the bottom of my LVAD" you will find my blogspot that shows life from a recipient's perspective... cheers, josh

·
Registered
2014 CTS Coupe 3.6 RWD Perfomance Pkg, TriCoat White Diamond
1,762 Posts
Welcome Back! :thumbsup:

Reactions: Tbbt

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Bill,
Thanks! All you guys have great advice, but yeah, marv makes sense... BUT my local auto store found an AGM battery for $153... So I probably will go with that as it has a 3/5 year warranty and they guarantee that it will have almost 2X the cranking power. Cheers josh

When you start it replace engine oil asap.
Will do! Thanks

Welcome Back! :thumbsup:
WCthunder... heheheheheheh... thanks, someone noticed :)
Cheers,
Josh

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TODAY- Picked up batteries for my keyless FOBS AND bought an AGM battery for $143... got a discount... 760 cold cranking amps...

Tomorrow I will climb into the car, because the rear electronic hatch won't open, obviously :) and begin to replace the battery.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Sport Wagon
1,443 Posts
TODAY- Picked up batteries for my keyless FOBS AND bought an AGM battery for $143... got a discount... 760 cold cranking amps...

Tomorrow I will climb into the car, because the rear electronic hatch won't open, obviously :) and begin to replace the battery.
that is not going to be fun. It's hard enough to squeeze the battery into that compartment with the hatch open.

when my battery was completely dead, I was able to use a portable battery pack to get enough enough juice into to get the hatch open. If you have one of them, you might want to try that.

I put an AGM battery in a few months ago and paid a similar price at Advance Auto with online coupon.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,235 Posts
There is manual emergency handle in the trunk which may be used to open the trunk.
It's a wagon. No e-handle.

CadiOne, there is a "restart" feature to follow when you change out your battery. It is in your manual, easy to do and follow.

Dave, my battery changeout was just one beer, and I had to swig to get it all in for just one.

Reactions: CadiOne
1 - 20 of 94 Posts