Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SRX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 CTS with this button built in (like they all do) and I cant program the button? Ive had 2 sears garage door openers and bought a brand new chamberlain model (at Home Depot) and cant get it to work. I had home-link on the phone and they said bring the car to the dealer but the programming sequence of what the button was suppose to do worked fine. Any ideas? I also used both new remotes to try to do this with them?:cookoo:

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.
337 Posts
Did you ever press any buttons on the garage door opener motor head?

I had to laugh when our salesman offered to program our garage door opener there at the dealership, because we have always had to have the car in the driveway facing the opener's motor head and do the extra steps that are listed in the manual. The first few easy steps have never worked for us.

·
Registered
2013 SRX
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you ever press any buttons on the garage door opener motor head?

I had to laugh when our salesman offered to program our garage door opener there at the dealership, because we have always had to have the car in the driveway facing the opener's motor head and do the extra steps that are listed in the manual. The first few easy steps have never worked for us.
LMAO!! Yes, the learn button, lasts 30s

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 Premium - Black Raven/Cashmere
31 Posts
I have a Chamberlin from Home Depot too. Tried programming several times with the learn button on the head, using the homelink button on the left...no luck.
Tried the center button on the homelink...worked 1st time...go figure.

·
Registered
Formerly owned: 1992, 93, 94, 99, 02, 06, 08, 11.
337 Posts
LMAO!! Yes, the learn button, lasts 30s
I'm not sure how to interpret your reply. Seems like you are referring to the 30 seconds that the learn button is active, and if so, you might want to do what we do. One person pressing the button on the motor head and another in the car.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
281 Posts
One person pressing the button on the motor head and another in the car.
Where's the fun in that?? You have to try to run down from the ladder and make it back to the car to press the button in time while singing the Mission Impossible theme in your head...that's how I roll. :woohoo:

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
You probably have a door opener with a rolling code. the opener uses a new code each time you push the button. As to programing the homelink buttons. the center button is programed to be your garage door opener. The outside two are for other devices. I have my house lights controlled by my computer. One of the outer buttons controlls the lights from the car as I pull into the garage.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sedan
2 Posts
While we are having a good giggle, I'll add to the fun. I have a 10 base model, and I can't find a home link button.
Not on the visor, the mirror or the really small console. The owners manual is no help.

I am led to believe this car is not equipped.

Where should the buttons be ?

B

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,935 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I believe its shown in the manual. but they are in the overhead console (with the map lights). If you don't have the overhead console, then you don't have it. I have read on the site that others have purchased a complete overhead console from wrecking yards and installed them OK.

Marv

·
Registered
2008 CTS Sedan
9 Posts
I have a 2008 that did not have the three buttons in the console. I bought a console on the ole' inter web for $70 and took the home link parts out. The only thing was my wiring harness did not have the plug for the home link box. I searched the forum and found that the positive (+) wire was on the lug closest to the body of the little black box. I soldered two wires to the little black box that has the buttons on it, then spliced it into the wires of a map light (always on) so the door can be opened whether the car is on or not. (if you park outside, you may want to find a switchable power source). $70 may seem a lot for a garage door opener, but it looks and operates just like it came from the factory.

As for programming, I had it on a 12 volt power supply on my work bench in the garage to test it before I put it in the car. I followed the manual, chose the middle button, worked first time. Since the work bench was in the garage, the walk down the ladder and the 5 step sprint to the work bench was a non event.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts