Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
none
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after the gym around 9 pm I decided to take a little cruise in the V instead of going straight home. It was a nice cool night and I love how the V runs in these low 70's temps..
I was out looking for something that wanted to play, and after driving around for about 45 minutes and burning up my $3.25 a gallon premium unleaded, i found an Infiniti G35 Coupe. We were lined up at the light and he wasted no time flooring it and leaving a little chirp. I rolled out the clutch and then nailed it and the V spun the tires a little but hooked up. As I ran up on him in 1st and went to second the V got a little sideways and left some real significant rubber.(I LOVE THIS CAR)..
2nd gear I had lengths and by third is was just embarassing.
He pulled up next to me at the next light Like:bonkers: . He said " that [email protected]# is no joke, when you shift it's just sick, you keep leaving rubber".
I replied thanks.. His next words were" I want one"..:worship:

Even 4th gear is chirping in this weather. The wrx kill was just as bad if not worse. We were rolling already at about 30 mph and he tried to blow past me, I was not letting rice boy blow by me. I dropped back into 2nd gear and blew past this rice machine with a hood scoop :want:, nothing else to tell just an easy kill..
I had to get my fix in tonight, and I did..

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Always fun...nice job. Should you feel the need, autox event at the Nassau Coliseum on Saturday...8:30am and a helmet...you can even borrow one if you don't have one. I'd love to hear the B&B...

·
Registered
321 Posts
great post...and thanks. You validated two things for me: 1. I am not the only one that sometimes just goes for a drive, especially when it cools off, and 2. because of your post, I have decided to drive my beast (srt8) to work today ..something I usually don do. And by the way, do any of you find certain car types always want to go, even though they are no contest ( I still give em credit for trying---nothing wrong with that)? For me it is 350zs and Infiniti G35s..:cool2:

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
man o man. The G35 had to think you were a CTS to try you. I've tried to bait a few but they won't bite.
GOOD KILL's.
After 5 kills, does it make you an Ace? If wasn't so rice we could put kill badges on our fenders. Umm, on second thought I'd better get back to work.

·
Registered
111 Posts
willsctsv said:
Ace, I will probably take you up on that., Is it this Saturday Oct. 1?
Yep, this Saturday. Show up around 8:30 with a helmet and some morning go-juice. (8:30 is early for a lot of us. :eek: ) Its usually in the corner of the parking lot closest to the McDonald's on Hempstead Tpke. I'll be there with a loaner Grand Am. Its definitely a fun day and money well spent.
-Mike

·
Registered
753 Posts
DrivingAmericanNow said:
SLAP !!! :thepan: I love it.
Sometimes it's nice to give a ricer a good firm back-hand. I'm surprized the G35 even tried.
I had a G35 run up on me today like he wanted some, but traffic was waaay too heavy. (I like the looks of the 2 dr G35 but my 83 year old mother drives the 4 dr model.) I agree that G35 drivers always seem to want to run, as though they believe thay are piloting a hot rod. They seem truly surprised when they get blown into the weeds.

I have a theory about G35 owners. In every generation there are some people who want to be "bad" but just can't pull it off. During the sixties they bought Camaros with the 327 motors but wouldn't pop for the $58 upgrade to the 396 big block. When motorcycles were popular, they bought Honda 250s rather than opt for something "too big," but still wanted to go on cruises with serious bikes. A few years ago, they were the guys rushing out to buy Miatas but would wet their pants if asked to drive a Vette. They can never quite commit to the real hi-po option.

Today, they drive G35s, still confusing the term "performance sedan" with "high-performance sedan." They are very nice cars. They look great and have decent performance, but some of the owners seem totally clueless about what represents serious horsepower in today's marketplace.

CR

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V (sold)
1,473 Posts
Maybe they just couldn't afford the extra payments :dunno:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm 2 years into an '04 G35 coupe 6-speed and plan to hold the car another 18-24 mos. My experience has been that it offers decent performance and useability in a unique package for the $....no reliability problems either.

That said, i'm looking to go V-spec next time around. In the meantime, I always keep an eye open for the V-badging!

Jim

·
Registered
none
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the G35 Coupe, I thinks it's very sharp looking. It clearly is not in the same league as the V, so I know it was not a fair race. I see them every day and try to get them to play but no one ever bites. This guy was all for it last night and must of thought I was driving a regular CTS. We went at it one more time and he was smoked when I shifted into second, even with all the wheel spin. We met up one more time at one more light. His last words were, "I'm not even going to try again". I gave him a thumbs up and was gone!

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
Just prior to ordering my GTO (which I ended up cancelling to get the V) it was neck and neck between the GTO and the G35. Styling on the G35 is easily the best among 2+2 coupes in it's price range. The reason I chose the GTO was the two extra cylinder.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Will,
Great to hear you may come. Another V will be joining us but unfortunately I won't have mine, she's going into the dealer to deal with the H20 pump hum...the neutral-1st issue...and a mysterious clunk on brake and go. I will be instructing a buddy who just picked-up a new Evo, co-driving his car on Saturday. I am quite upset about not having the V with others showing-up, but I'll finally be able to hear one screaming on the course!
I will introduce myself when you arrive.
Ve good,
ace996

Uplink,
Doing the rental-race, huh? One day we need to rent a beater and have a "spec" event...other SCCA regions do this with dealerships who are looking to show-off a car or two. Who knows, perhaps there's a crazy Chevy dealer who's looking to promote the new Vette....wishful thinking...I know.

·
Registered
none
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ace,
I just put new Hawk HPS pads in today. I haven't had a chance to bed them in yet. Will a few abrubt stops from like 70 mph be enough? I don't want to glaze them up and be kocking down cones.

·
Registered
CTS-V
110 Posts
willsctsv said:
Even 4th gear is chirping in this weather. The wrx kill was just as bad if not worse. We were rolling already at about 30 mph and he tried to blow past me, I was not letting rice boy blow by me. I dropped back into 2nd gear and blew past this rice machine with a hood scoop :want:, nothing else to tell just an easy kill..
I had to get my fix in tonight, and I did..
Was it an STi or just a regular WRX?

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Will,
There are different techniques to bed pads, although you should be able to seat them in an evening. Doing a few stops from 50, letting the brakes cool, then a few from 70, let them cool, then some normal driving should do it. If you search the net for techniques on "bedding brake pads" you should find plenty of good and plenty of overkill. You should be fine, don't worry.

I brought the V into the dealer today and took the tech for a ride. He heard the whine/hoot with the water pump, and heard the clunking of the suspension. They'll have my car for a few days. On a brighter side, one of the techs just bought a new EvoIII and he is kind enough to allow me to codrive/instruct, so I will be competing on Saturday. Usually, my work assignment is instructor so if you'd like, I'd be happy to share some tips.

Just make sure you're there by 8:30am...I'll help you with the rest. See you Saturday morning.
-ace996

·
Registered
111 Posts
ace996 said:
Will,
Uplink,
Doing the rental-race, huh? One day we need to rent a beater and have a "spec" event...other SCCA regions do this with dealerships who are looking to show-off a car or two. Who knows, perhaps there's a crazy Chevy dealer who's looking to promote the new Vette....wishful thinking...I know.
Hehe, that would be a blast. We should make it with cars that have no power so its all about the drivers. My best times with the FWD Aveo were using the e-brake to piroette the turns rather than the normal brakes.
I keep trying to get my buddy Naoto to do a 'spec' race like this but he won't. Maybe if we all throw in $20 to a pot for fastest time...

I wound up getting stuck with a Stratus 4-cyl. :cool2: Yeah baby! It was that or a Chrysler Town & Country mini-van. BMWCCA's lenient but that might be a stretch. :D
-Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
Funny thing, I had a G35 kill today myself! It was a big dude in a tricked out looking G35 (lowered, flared, big rims, stickers, the usual :)) and his girl friend. We cut through some traffic and, lucky me, ended up side by side at a red light. Sure enough, he tried to take me, but it was a brief race.

I pulled away quickly in first after momentary wheel spin, hooked up in second and quickly put two or three lengths between us. By third gear he was so far back he didn't even bother.

Guy ended up doing that right turn thing to get away from me. Hilarious! Not a close call.

Skeeter

1 - 20 of 24 Posts