Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While everyone is talking about power all the time, I'm very impressed by the handling and grip of the car, even with only 250 miles on the rubber. I think my new favorite toy is the G meter. I live very near some interesting roads, and according to my meter I have exceeded 0.9 G every day. So far my record is 0.98 on hard right with a little hill action acting as positive camber, and I could have pushed it a bit harder were it not for cars in the opposite lane! I also find it quite interesting to see the G's vary with the road camber. Haven't seen any difference yet between sport and touring mode. Does any one know if the suspension switches automatically to sport under hard cornering? My 1991 Alfa 164S did just that. What are other people's experiences with sport versus touring? Is anyone else using their G meter, and if so, what kind of numbers are you seeing?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
4 Posts
I have about 1300 miles on mine, so just started pushing it. Top G-meter Right: 1.09, left 1.02. Started to slide out on the 1.09. I also have a good stretch of road clase by, very tight turns. I do see a difference by changing the suspension setting, also push the gear selector to the right for sport mode, push the TC button twice to set it in performance mode. Have only really scared myself twice!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
1.33 on the left, .98 on the right.

When I first got the car, I would constantly wipe out on left turns. It was a lot better in competitive mode, gave more stable turns. Now for daily driving with the w4m tune, I have it better under control. I turn of TC (one press) and I can tell if the car spins, haven't had any more wipe outs. I think it's the power at lower rpms being available makes for a more stable ride. Simply love the car turning. In hard cornering I can get the car to slip and slide, one time giving me very violent feedback on a short left turn after a short right turn.

The michelins keep it planted, have about 5400 miles on the car. Rear tires are alreay getting close to their wear indicators. Hope i'll make 10K.
It doesn't help going 140mph on the access road this afternoon.....

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, those are some high numbers. I suspect they represent peak G's as opposed to steady state, as most tests have shown low to mid 0.9's on the skid pad. I bet there was some help with banking as well. I'm sliding some on off camber turns, and recording only .75, while not really sliding yet on the turns that have banking, but reading .95+. Now I have something to shoot for. I did record .94 the first day I got it in a parking lot going in circles, similar to a skidpad, in touring.

Does anyone know how accurate this gauge actually is?

·
Registered
2014 ELR Black/Auto
401 Posts
I've attained only .76 on a decreasing radius 270 degree off ramp, going about 55. The tires weren't talking to me yet...

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
Here is a dumb question, if the g-meter is not on screen does it record changes? Often when I toss the car around I have the display showing digital speedometer and when I return to the g-meter I see no change in peak reading.

Mark

·
Registered
Owned 3 V's, now driving a Wrangler and XT5
2,574 Posts
Here is a dumb question, if the g-meter is not on screen does it record changes? Often when I toss the car around I have the display showing digital speedometer and when I return to the g-meter I see no change in peak reading.

Mark
Yes, it does still record. I remember once hitting a turn pretty good, then went to display and saw my max was changed.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver
867 Posts
C&D list the V2 skid pad G at .93

Grasshopper, one has to remember that many of the car rags were quoting 0-60 times wrong and even the 1/4 mile times by
other rags...

I know you can do .94 your the man, while I do.35, sunday school is safer that way, me and Jimmy carter.

·
Registered
2014 ELR Black/Auto
401 Posts

Grasshopper, one has to remember that many of the car rags were quoting 0-60 times wrong and even the 1/4 mile times by
other rags...

I know you can do .94 your the man, while I do.35, sunday school is safer that way, me and Jimmy carter.
You made me blow perfectly good beer out my nose Van! You, Jimmy, and Miss Lillian...

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver
867 Posts
You made me blow perfectly good beer out my nose Van! You, Jimmy, and Miss Lillian...

I park the V several miles away, and tote my ( do not want to let the unwashed massses know about my Green policy, to burn as much gas as I can before my ashes are spread at the wall)) tools to help, the " "C's" as I call them, hut building is my hobby, never know when I may need a new hut, with attached doggie door.

·
CadillacOwners First 09 CTS-V Owner
09 CTS-V, 08 Escalade
424 Posts

Mark
Yes, the IPC will record the peak acceleration values even when the Lateral Acceleration display is not active. If you do not see an increase after a series of maneuvers, it simply means you did not 'best' the previous limits displayed.

Mike

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
Yes, the IPC will record the peak acceleration values even when the Lateral Acceleration display is not active. If you do not see an increase after a series of maneuvers, it simply means you did not 'best' the previous limits displayed.

Mike
Got it and can concur. Thanks.

·
Registered
Cadillac 1998 STS
99 Posts
Kind of a morbid thought, but I wonder what these lateral accelerometers will read when some unlucky V2 drivers gets T-boned in an intersection? Hopefully when this happens, the passenger side is hit and there is only the driver in the V2 at the time.

It would be cool if the accelerometers would indicate positive and negative accelerations.

peace
Hog

1 - 18 of 18 Posts