Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post my experience. My Sentinel quit working. After some reading on here and some other places I stumbled upon an idea. AS I was testing the photocell located in the middle of the dash ... the left of two sensors there (I think it was left) with my tester prongs on continuity touching the two wires ... the lights started to work automatically as they should. So I bought a $5 pack of ambient light sensors from radio shack. Like daddy long legs with only two legs. I think they were 5mm ... anyway ... all I had to do was pull the top off of the sensor ... pull the old "sensor" out of it's holder ... very easy ... the new radio shack ones slide right back in it's place and fold over the stems just as the old one was. push the sensor back in it's original harness and you're good to go. Waited for night time and it worked perfectly ... all for $5 (this photocell as I searched and searched ... appears to be obsolete)

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,035 Posts
Nice write up, and good for you doing a repair on the cheap. My question is, where did you find a Radio Shack?Most of ours in north Texas are gone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice writer, and good for you doing a repair on the cheap. My question is, where did you find a Radio Shack?Most of ours in north Texas are gone.
... ordered it online although near Cincinnati I do believe we have one left. I found the idea of an ambient light sensor on a remote thread somewhere ... but I didn't know how easily that little bugger would fit right down into the older sensor! It worked great!

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
362 Posts
Radio Shacks still exist as "The Source" in Canada. Although, you can't get there right now cause the border is closed. The next best place would be someplace like Digikey electronics or Mouser or the like.

Steve

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,367 Posts
I've had good luck with common and oddball stuff from

HD wirewound resistors and other stuff from

Like oddball clocks? Nixie clocks are the ultimate Russian retro .........

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,658 Posts
Nice write up, and good for you doing a repair on the cheap. My question is, where did you find a Radio Shack?Most of ours in north Texas are gone.
====================

1 - 8 of 8 Posts