Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this up in the event someone else wants to replace aftermarket suspension with OEM.

Short story..

• Original owner replaced Magnetic Ride (Z95 + 6LM 7LM RPO codes) with aftermarket struts and Z55 suspension
  • Replaced items provided a terrible ride and blew not too much later
  • 80 MPH / 130 KM/h speed limiter due to Service Suspension light.
I picked up the Escalade for a nice price, 135,000KM on the clock but it had an assortment of issues. Going through it and bringing it back to stock the suspension was the last piece. IMO, if you don't want to replace a suspension part with OEM quality don't buy a Cadillac and expect it to drive the same. To each their own but it's mind blowing how many guys buy these used and then complain with components like the suspension need replacing, regular wear and tear.

This is a great diagram and source for part numbers,

This is a great place for parts,

Originally ordered in..

Fronts: AC Delco 580-435 (~$350 each)
Rears: AC Delco 580-1091(~$350 each)
Compressor: Dorman 949-099 (~$250)
Total bill (Please note, this is CAD with shipping) $1780

When they arrived I pulled the front struts. Easy job - 3 15MM nuts on top, 2 18MM nuts on the strut.

That's when the trouble began - went to simply swap out the strut and then realized EVERYTHING was different. Different top hats, strut nuts etc etc etc.

Referring to diagram:

I ended up needing 2-8 + 11. (10 is the 580-435 unit from AC Delco and it comes with new tighteners, 9)

This is the parts list, partially from that website but also other areas. Doing my research this is what it came up with..

2 - Dampening nut ($20x2)

3 - Nut ($21x2)
GM 15815519
GENERAL MOTORS 15815519 Strut Rod Lock Nut | RockAuto

4 - Top Hat (Rockauto)
GM 25940743

*NOTE - 15815524 — FRONT SHOCK ABSORBER MOUNTING - Febest #CDSS-ESCIIIF - One Year Warranty‏ has these for $21 EACH. Factory is $200 EACH. I didn't have the opportunity to order these but waited on photos from Febest which they sent, and they appear to be correct)

5 - Spring Seat ($50 each)
AC Delco 15803177

*NOTE - I ordered these in from the dealership and they didn't fit the top hats. I ended up trimming the 6 individual spines inside of the cup and it fit tight. There is no movement with the spring etc.

6 - Washer ($21 each)
GM 15886466

7 - Jounce / Bump stop (Ordered) ($42 each)
GM 15886463

*NOTE - There are dozens of options for this. It depends on your RPO codes. This was the correct one for 6LM / 7LM

8 - Bottom Mount
GM 25940741
KYB SM5717 ($16 each)

11 - Lower Mount
AC Delco 20841899 ($6 each)

Once these came in I attempted a suicide coil compressor, but the truck springs have far too much strength for that. Ended up taking them to a shop to compress and assemble all the parts, $60 later.

Front.. is done. Thankfully I had all of the sensors.

On to the rear ->

Rear is simple and straight forward. 580-1091 with 2 18mm bolt, one top and one bottom. Issue popped up - the airlines were stuck in the old shock assembly. I attempted to remove them a few different ways but in the end one snapped. Airline replacement through the dealership is ABSURD.

Welcome Dorman 949-006

This does NOT have the 2007-2014 Escalades listed as one of the vehicles it works with but it DOES. The biggest thing is - you can not simply replace one airline, you must replace them all. The T that comes with the 949-006 does not separate. Benefit of this.. all new airlines, and it's incredibly simple to run. 10 minutes of time.

Lastly, the Dorman 949-099 Compressor is top notch. 10/10. It's quiet, does its job and has an overheat function where it will automatically shut off if overheated.

NOTE* - IF the previous owner chopped off the connections in the REAR, these are a BEAUTY.
ACDELCOPT1385

These are a pigtail of the connector that plugs into the rear suspension.

So.. with all of this done I have,

a) Fresh suspension
b) No suspension code
c) No speed limiter for 130km/h 80mp/h

It was pricey, but I have to say now that it's done I'm very happy to have gone back to OEM.

·
Registered
2013 Escalade esv Platinum AWD
26 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I will be doing my 09 soon, I've done this before on a `13 and remember it was a pita to track down all the parts, spent more time getting the parts than doing the work. It's a easy job but is dangerous proper use of spring compressors and saftey precautions must be followed.
Some of these prices posted are way out of line I'm guessing you ordered from a local dealer. I found them at
6 - $2.30
5- $19.49
7- $14.03
10- $231.
I question is it really necessary to replace all parts as recommend. Some are all steel.

I used this spring Compressor

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for posting this. I will be doing my 09 soon, I've done this before on a `13 and remember it was a pita to track down all the parts, spent more time getting the parts than doing the work. It's a easy job but is dangerous proper use of spring compressors and saftey precautions must be followed.
Some of these prices posted are way out of line I'm guessing you ordered from a local dealer. I found them at
6 - $2.30
5- $19.49
7- $14.03
10- $231.
I question is it really necessary to replace all parts as recommend. Some are all steel.

I used this spring Compressor

Some of the items (#6 for example) would take 2-3 weeks to arrive in Canada and had to be ordered through the dealer. Keep in mind my pricing that I quoted was all in Canadian dollars - if I could find those struts for $230 I'd jump all over it, but once the conversion was done and shipping added on it adds up awfully quick for us folks up north.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts