Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 1987 Fleetwood Brougham LS, HT4100, FWD, can the engine be taken out the top? With or without the transmission? Thanks.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
It can be done, but it's designed to drop out the bottom on the subframe cradle, so it's actually more work. If you have any way to raise the body, it's only four bolts to remove everything.

A couple of posters here have done it from the top. You might want to PM member Illumina.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Mine is a '85 Fleetwood, and I've had that "High Tech" 4100 out twice, through the top. You really need a factory manual to tell you how to get it all un-hooked and un-bolted. The manual has a check list (51 items) to take loose, to get it out. Power steering lines are a pain, as well as other stuff.
It took me most of a week to R & R, replacing the cam/lifters etc. It's also a wise time to replace the water pump, and the engine rear and front oil seals, and the transmission input shaft seal, as it's the only time they are accessable.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
Recently I replaced the engine in my '87 DeVille. I never even considered raising the body.....way too much trouble. Bill has it right. The FSM has the procedure for removing and then reinstalling/sans Transmission. It is not a difficult job. Get at least one can of Liquid Wrench to help loosen fasterners. Take a lot of 'before' close-up pictures....lots! If you need any help, email.

·
Registered
1998 Fleetwood
1 Posts
It can be done, but it's designed to drop out the bottom on the subframe cradle, so it's actually more work. If you have any way to raise the body, it's only four bolts to remove everything.

A couple of posters here have done it from the top. You might want to PM member Illumina.
Do you have any directions/pictures on how to remove engine from 1998 fleetwood

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Is the '98 Fleetwood rear-wheel drive?? Or FWD? If it's FWD you need a factory manual. We have '93 Fleetwwod Brougham that's RWD, powered by a 350 Chevy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts