Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on the http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55876, a few are calling for a locking fuel door w/ switch on the next gen CTS.

I like the manual open model b/c 1) it's easy and 2) no need to worry about the thing going on the fritz. Safety is NOT a concern for me. If someone wants to tamper with someone's fuel opening, they will (even if it means crowbar!)

How about your opinions?
 

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
Joined
·
2,043 Posts
I dont think its something we NECESSARILY need, but I would like to have a locking fuel door. A locking one would not be hard to operate, just press the button before u get out of the car and its open, and if it decides not to, there is always an emergency cable physically attatched to the door release in the trunk.
 

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
Joined
·
14,607 Posts
question , i have a CTS at work for my demo car ....ive been opeing the fuel door with my plastic keychain ....there isnt some sort of relese thing that pops it open is there ? its a pain in the ass to get the fuel door open , cant belive they ddint put a notch or handle to get it open
 

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
Stoneage_Caddy said:
question , i have a CTS at work for my demo car ....ive been opeing the fuel door with my plastic keychain ....there isnt some sort of relese thing that pops it open is there ? its a pain in the ass to get the fuel door open , cant belive they ddint put a notch or handle to get it open
If you push on the leading edge of the door that will pivot the back out. :thumbsup:

I like the concept of the remote door release b/c then it could be set to pop at least part way open when you push the button, thus reducing confusion among the more "easily confused" cadillac drivers. J/K Stony! ;)

As for the arguement that it wont stop somebody who wants to steal your gas, youre right. But in reality, NO, and I repeat, NO anti-theft device or lock is 100% effective at stopping theives. Their real purpose is to make the criminals job a little bit harder. If they figure out they have to carry a crow bar to get at our gas, while they can just open the tank on a minivan by hand, I guarantee you the vast majority wont waste their time with our car and will go after that van.

I used to have a car with a remote release on the tank and never had a problem with remembering to hit the button as I pulled into the gas station so I'd have no problem with Caddy adding one to make the freeloaders lives a bit more difficult.
 

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
Joined
·
4,023 Posts
But the gas cap is locked... So why bother an automatic fuel door opener for safety purpose?
 

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
70eldo said:
But the gas cap is locked... So why bother an automatic fuel door opener for safety purpose?
...???...

That may just be standard for the european models. ours, well mine at least, just screws in and out, no lock of any sort.
 

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
Joined
·
4,023 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
...???...

That may just be standard for the european models. ours, well mine at least, just screws in and out, no lock of any sort.
I guess we found another plus feature of the Euro version :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
If they want my gas they will have to work to get it out. I already have the locking gas cap, but it means having an extra key to lose. I would rather have a locking gas door like my Saab.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
280 Posts
Chuck C said:
I like the manual open model b/c 1) it's easy and 2) no need to worry about the thing going on the fritz. Safety is NOT a concern for me. If someone wants to tamper with someone's fuel opening, they will (even if it means crowbar!)

How about your opinions?
I'm going to have to agree with you Chuck. I would rather have them take my gas than damage the fuel door. Cheaper to buy more gas than have to go through the hassle of getting a new gas door after someone takes a crowbar to it to get it open.
 

·
Registered
93 Allante, 06 CTS
Joined
·
723 Posts
I have one of each...

My Allante has the fuel door switch inside the center console and emergency release cable in the trunk (if necessary).

My CTS has the push-in pop out door we are all familiar with.

If I were given the choice I wouldn't mind another button inside the door (next to trunk release) that popped the fuel door open.

I imagine that since the fuel door (CTS) does not currently have a tab to pull it open it seems that many people already think it is secured door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
You must all be from hot climates.... I HATE the release buttons/switches! In the cold snowy winters they are a real pain in the ass. I have had countless times where its frozen shut, the release doesn't work, your on 'E', its a mad windy blizzard, and your trying to frig around with a key or something to get in the crack and pry it open while you have another person holding the release switch. Makes for nastsy key marks all around the gas door too!
 

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Auto w/ Sport & Luxury Packages
Joined
·
555 Posts
For all those who have posted claiming that the non-locking fuel door is ok, obliviously you are blessed with a distinct lack of enemies or crazy ex’s. I was shocked, if not completely horrified to discover that my ~$40,000 Cadillac did not come equipped with a feature that is standard on almost every other car I have owned in the last fifteen years (including such plebian fare as a Saturn SC2).


A long time ago, I had a friend who had to shell out the cash out of pocket to replace an engine after it had been sabotaged by an unkind person. Leaving so obvious a security hole in an otherwise nice package seems a gross oversight on the part of Cadillac.

Set aside revenge as a motive, there are plenty of malicious people in this world who are more than willing to deface, if not completely ruin, a vehicle because they are envious of other people’s success. I live in a condo complex and routinely the BMW’s are keyed. So far my precious CTS has been spared, but apparently someone has a real dislike for people who drive better cars than them. If they were to escalate to engine sabotage, sure insurance would cover it, or warranty, but who need the hassle? I would much rather the manufacturer address the issue before I have to replace my engine.


The CTS should have a locking fuel door, period. The lack thereof is a major oversight and short-change for those of us who do not have a locked garage in which to park their cars!
 

·
Registered
Started with '04 BR V, moved on to '09 Slvr V, now '13 CRT coupe
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
haute_heir said:
You must all be from hot climates.... I HATE the release buttons/switches! In the cold snowy winters they are a real pain in the ass. I have had countless times where its frozen shut, the release doesn't work, your on 'E', its a mad windy blizzard, and your trying to frig around with a key or something to get in the crack and pry it open while you have another person holding the release switch. Makes for nastsy key marks all around the gas door too!
I was just about to jump in with the same comment. :thumbsup:
Subarus are notorious for freezing up.

And the emergency release handles aren't a sure thing either. I was driving a new Audi A8 a few weeks back and was the first to ever put gas in it. The interior release wouldn't work, so I had most of the right side trunk interior pulled loose, tugging on the cable while someone banged on the access door.

I like the CTS just the way it is.
 

·
Registered
CTS
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
I'm glad the fuel door dosn't lock. Who's gonna steel gasoline?

A gallon of milk still costs more than gas.

Mobil 1 costs more that gas.

Visine costs more than gas.

Coca Cola costs more than gas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jteolis said:
I'm glad the fuel door dosn't lock. Who's gonna steel gasoline?

A gallon of milk still costs more than gas.

Mobil 1 costs more that gas.

Visine costs more than gas.

Coca Cola costs more than gas.
I think it's more an issue of sabotaging someone's fuel.

FYI: my brother's Audi A4 has the same type of fuel door.
 

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
Joined
·
4,023 Posts
MikeB066 said:
For all those who have posted claiming that the non-locking fuel door is ok, obliviously you are blessed with a distinct lack of enemies or crazy ex’s. I was shocked, if not completely horrified to discover that my ~$40,000 Cadillac did not come equipped with a feature that is standard on almost every other car I have owned in the last fifteen years (including such plebian fare as a Saturn SC2).


A long time ago, I had a friend who had to shell out the cash out of pocket to replace an engine after it had been sabotaged by an unkind person. Leaving so obvious a security hole in an otherwise nice package seems a gross oversight on the part of Cadillac.

Set aside revenge as a motive, there are plenty of malicious people in this world who are more than willing to deface, if not completely ruin, a vehicle because they are envious of other people’s success. I live in a condo complex and routinely the BMW’s are keyed. So far my precious CTS has been spared, but apparently someone has a real dislike for people who drive better cars than them. If they were to escalate to engine sabotage, sure insurance would cover it, or warranty, but who need the hassle? I would much rather the manufacturer address the issue before I have to replace my engine.


The CTS should have a locking fuel door, period. The lack thereof is a major oversight and short-change for those of us who do not have a locked garage in which to park their cars!
Obviously you can get a locking gas cap from the dealer if you don't have one. Like mine it already had one, so they are available. Hope that solves your problem?
 

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac CTS, 2008 Cadillac CTS
Joined
·
733 Posts
I am going to have to go with the locking fuel door. No one wants to carry an extra key for the cap. And yes, I do see the problem it may create in cold weather regions, but for personal choice (I live in California), I would like the inside door release. We are seeing many cars being drained of their fuel in the bay area and central valley. I haven't been hit (thankfully), and I think it's due to the style of the door. It looks like it should have an inside release.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
talk about mixed opinions,eh? i agree with every point made...but i have to admit it did cross my mind when i bought my cts that it seemed "cheap" that there wasn't an interior latch..that you just would push on the cover seemed very old school. i totally love the simplicity of it..until the day someone steals $55 worth of fuel out of my tank:) (remember us canucks pay a lot more per gallon then you folks from the good old u s of a!
 

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
Joined
·
14,607 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
If you push on the leading edge of the door that will pivot the back out. :thumbsup:

I like the concept of the remote door release b/c then it could be set to pop at least part way open when you push the button, thus reducing confusion among the more "easily confused" cadillac drivers. J/K Stony! ;)

.
your kidding ? so it really doesnt have an electric relese like my deville ? i figured all premium cars had electric fuel door releses.....coarse neither did the escalade....but it at least had a place that you grabbed so you knew it had to be opend manually....

its my first time "living" with a CTS (acutally working LOL), "my" other demos were an esclade and a deville .....and it (the CTS) doesnt have an owners manual ...

i must admit , im getting things done faster with the CTS .....fun little car to drive i tell ya
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top