Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 STS 2002 STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
Got our first batch of hot weather here on UK hit 75 yesterday.
With the blower on high got this real bad smell coming out of the vents.
Smells like stagnant water on a damp cloth?? musty kinda dead moose type odor.

The dreaded cabin filter was replaced 6 months ago. So have I have a got some damp mildew/spore build up in the ducts?? and what can i do to get rid of this stink!

Thanks to all in advance...

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
Pull the cabin air filter out. Spray Lysol into the air intake with the blower motor running. Either replace the cabin air filter or spray it down with Lysol.

Your evaporator drain tube may also be clogged. It's the tube that always leaves a puddle of water under you car if the A/C has been running.

·
Registered
99 STS 2002 STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pull the cabin air filter out. Spray Lysol into the air intake with the blower motor running. Either replace the cabin air filter or spray it down with Lysol.

Your evaporator drain tube may also be clogged. It's the tube that always leaves a puddle of water under you car if the A/C has been running.
where would I locate and access the evap tube?

The cabin filter was done 6 months ago (OEM Charcoal)

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
The easiest way would be to look under the car after the A/C has been running for a while and look for a puddle of water assuming the drain is not clogged. It should be located under the car in the vicinity of the passenger dash board area.

Below are the official steps to deodorizing your HVAC per the General.

1. Start the engine.
  2. Set the blower to the highest speed setting.
  3. Set the temperature to the maximum heat setting.
  4. Remove the A/C system air filters.
  5. Turn the engine OFF after 10 minutes.
  6. Shake deodorizer spray can.
  7. Install the extension tube into nozzle of can.
  8. Start the engine.
  9. Set the blower to the highest speed setting.
  10. Insert the extension tube into the filter opening.
  11. Spray short bursts, dispensing contents of can over a 2-3 minute period.
  12. Turn the engine OFF.
  13. After 3-5 minutes, start the engine.
  14. Set the blower to the highest speed setting.
  15. Operate the blower at this setting for 15-20 minutes to dry the evaporator.
  16. Install the A/C system air filters.

I wouldn't recommend using the entire can of Lysol or your car will smell like a hospital. I believe the dealerships use a different deodorizing product.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
Better be sure you like the smell of Lysol before you do that because you'll be smelling it forever. Don't ask me how I know that. look on the HVAC housing on the firewall and see if there is a "CUT HERE FOR SERVICE" outline. If there is, cut it out. That is where you would get at the evaporator to clean and flush it (be sure the drain is opened first).

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
It's not from the filter. Mildew build up is on the evaporator. If you live in a hot climate, after you get it cleaned out, enable the afterblow feature.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
26TP: If it's your 99 STS with the odor, you might have a similar setup on the firewall that a 97 has. I wrote an article in Tech tips on how to properly remove mold from the evaporator coil. Check it out. I did mine a couple of years ago and the air is still OK. I'm assuming you have a non-smoking car...

·
Registered
99 STS 2002 STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not from the filter. Mildew build up is on the evaporator. If you live in a hot climate, after you get it cleaned out, enable the afterblow feature.
Wow thanks for all very informative reply's chaps.

@Ranger What is is the after blow feature?

·
Registered
99 STS 2002 STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
26TP: If it's your 99 STS with the odor, you might have a similar setup on the firewall that a 97 has. I wrote an article in Tech tips on how to properly remove mold from the evaporator coil. Check it out. I did mine a couple of years ago and the air is still OK. I'm assuming you have a non-smoking car...
was it this one?
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forum/t-116998.html

it's My 02 that has the issue, could you assist me in locating the cover?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Better be sure you like the smell of Lysol before you do that because you'll be smelling it forever. Don't ask me how I know that. l
Hey Ranger, I'm not going to ask how you know. The original Lysol scent is rather intense. It's now available in 7 fresh and clean scents:
  • Crisp Linen®
  • Spring Waterfall®
  • Early Morning Breeze™
  • Garden Mist™
  • Summer Breeze™
  • Country Scent®
  • Citrus Meadows™
I prefer the Crisp Linen... but you should try all 7

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,549 Posts
Ranger What is is the after blow feature?
AFTERBLOW
If the A/C has been on for at least 2 min., the HVAC control module (IPM) will go into afterblow to remove moisture from the HVAC module. The blower will be activated at medium speed 45 min. after the ignition has been turned off for something like 1 min, every 10 min. for an hour. The battery must have 12v and the OAT must be 21C (70F) or higher. Afterblow will be delivered by the last mode setting set by the driver. I can be turned on by a scan tool and is not set by the factory. I believe OBDI cars can enable it via the DIC.

The original Lysol scent is rather intense. It's now available in 7 fresh and clean scents:
Didn't know that. I used the original. Just be sure you like the scent before you use it. It will be around for a good long while.

·
Registered
99 STS 2002 STS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
AFTERBLOW
If the A/C has been on for at least 2 min., the HVAC control module (IPM) will go into afterblow to remove moisture from the HVAC module. The blower will be activated at medium speed 45 min. after the ignition has been turned off for something like 1 min, every 10 min. for an hour. The battery must have 12v and the OAT must be 21C (70F) or higher. Afterblow will be delivered by the last mode setting set by the driver. I can be turned on by a scan tool and is not set by the factory. I believe OBDI cars can enable it via the DIC.

Thanks for the info, I will hook up my tech 2 this weekend and see what it shows under the IPM menu

Now i just gotta find some Lysol in the UK:hmm:

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
was it this one?
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forum/t-116998.html

it's My 02 that has the issue, could you assist me in locating the cover?
26TP: Yes, but I'm not certain the "cutout" area is in the same spot, if at all for an 02. Since the newer models have the cabin filters (97s didn't), the procedure described by 00 Deville is probably the way to go. I think the 99 still had the "cutout" area. You can check your firewall to be sure. Again, as I mention in my article, you need to have a cover plate ready before you cut. It could be fabricated from sturdy plastic or metal.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Now i just gotta find some Lysol in the UK:hmm:
If you have trouble finding Lysol in the UK (Crisp Linen or other decent scent... don't use the original scent it stinks) . Look in your local auto parts store for a evaporator coil / duct cleaner that kills mold, mildew etc.
AutoZone in the US sells the product below I would think they would have a similar product in the UK

http://www.efproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=760&cat=16

1 - 15 of 15 Posts