Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Thunder Gray 6MT
2,122 Posts
Any reason why you don't do the mod yourself? Took me 3-4 hours going slow and my skills are low when it comes to this stuff. I spent $30 at home depot. Plus I think it looks better.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,199 Posts
JD03Cobra's car does indeed look nice with those lenses.

As an alternative, you can get STS-V fogs with clear lenses from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. Sure, they're ~$240 plus shipping, but you don't need signal lights since you've already got 'em, and at $280 from eBay they're cheaper.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk
785 Posts
Any reason why you don't do the mod yourself? Took me 3-4 hours going slow and my skills are low when it comes to this stuff. I spent $30 at home depot. Plus I think it looks better.
They look nice when you do the clear lexan replacement, but the light pattern is pointless as far as fog lights go. The OEM and the clear replacements linked in this thread are an actual lens that distribute the light in a useful pattern in front of the car, which I think is a good reason to use them instead of doing it yourself.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,561 Posts
Those are the same ones discussed here - http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-appearance/208086-ebay-clear-fogs.html. A number of us have bought and installed them.

As an alternative, you can get STS-V fogs with clear lenses from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac. Sure, they're ~$240 plus shipping, but you don't need signal lights since you've already got 'em, and at $280 from eBay they're cheaper.
I didn't think the OEM STS-V parts were that cheap. Based on what was said in that other thread, they're ~$225 each, so $270ish for what I would say is equal to OEM quality is a pretty damn good deal.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
188 Posts
You disassembled the housing, baked off the old lens, cut lexan to fit housing, glued and clamped lexan to housing, let glue dry, and reassembled in car all in 3-4 hours? Really?? Don't be so humble, I'd say your skills are impressive at that "going slow" speed.

I've done this mod too at a much slower speed. And although it looks killer in the daytime, the fogs look like crap when they are on at night; both inside and out. I'll be getting the Fleabay's soon so my HID fogs actually do their job.

·
Registered
2010 Thunder Gray 6MT
2,122 Posts
You disassembled the housing, baked off the old lens, cut lexan to fit housing, glued and clamped lexan to housing, let glue dry, and reassembled in car all in 3-4 hours? Really?? Don't be so humble, I'd say your skills are impressive at that "going slow" speed.
I probably spent more like 6 hours but wasted 1:30 trying to get the stupid front bumper off realizing that I didn't need to. This job is very simple and doesn't take that long.

For me the mod was about appearance than functionality. They are extremly bright and light up the road great but actual design to work in fog type weather is worthless. The STS V fogs will be functional in this situation as designed. I think I drove in fog once last year...so again it was more for appearance.

·
14,199 Posts
... I didn't think the OEM STS-V parts were that cheap. Based on what was said in that other thread, they're ~$225 each, so $270ish for what I would say is equal to OEM quality is a pretty damn good deal.
It's been a few years, now, but I paid $248 to my front door for a pair of STS-V fogs from Luke. Someone said they had gone up a bit, but I haven't followed it.

Getting the two whole sets (including the blinkers) from eBay would allow you to peddle the stock V fogs and blinkers. That could make a big difference in the total-cost picture. Hm-m ...

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
The E bay set actually work as fog lights and as said earlier are OEM quality. Do the DRL disable on the FAQ to lose the school bus look.

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V Blk/Blk
785 Posts
It's been a few years, now, but I paid $248 to my front door for a pair of STS-V fogs from Luke. Someone said they had gone up a bit, but I haven't followed it.

Getting the two whole sets (including the blinkers) from eBay would allow you to peddle the stock V fogs and blinkers. That could make a big difference in the total-cost picture. Hm-m ...
I think that you may be confused, the blinker and fog light are one piece. They can't be replaced separately.

·
14,199 Posts
I think that you may be confused, the blinker and fog light are one piece. They can't be replaced separately.
Oh. Then, that means the blinker and fog are the same thing, 'cause I replaced only the fogs on mine. So, the other one is the DRL? Oh ...

Dang ... how long have I BEEN on this forum and didn't know that?!! I feel so-o ignorant.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,561 Posts
The DRL is the turn signal. The fog is the fog. They are together as one unit, with a single lens. I can't imagine they're sold as separate pieces - GM doesn't seem to sell anything on this car as separate pieces!

·
Registered
07 - CTS-V
407 Posts
another good point from the other thread, buying these you still have your stock lights which you can sell for decent money.

if you go STS-V lights, you have to remove the brake ducts so they can't really be sold...

The homemade ones look good, but i like my fog lights to have a nice light pattern

·
14,199 Posts
... if you go STS-V lights, you have to remove the brake ducts so they can't really be sold...
I got a hundred smackers for my OEM fogs from another member here. :shhh:

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS-V
103 Posts
I prefer a fog lense that dispurses the light 'wide', looks more factory and a little less ricey. HOWEVER, I love that people do their own thing so all our cars don't look like clones of each other.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,561 Posts
the sts-v fogs are a projector if i recall or is that just the normal sts?
Normal STS.

Life essentials: Water, Food, Shelter, Silver, Gold and a CTV-S.
Yes, a Canadian Torture Vestibule - Secondary is definitely essential! Or is it a Coordinated Television - Siamese? Or a Condor Termination Vacuum - Silent? :p

·
Registered
'05 Raven/Ebony CTS-V with toys
1,070 Posts
I have an extra set of just the lenses. Is there a way to cleanly break apart the fog and signal sections? Unfortunately, it appears to be all one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts