Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead::banghead:My fuel gauge has gone crazy. I can have a half tank of gas, drive a few miles, turn the car off, let it sit a little while and then turn it back on and it will say I only have an eighth of a tank. Other times if the car sits overnight it will start and say "Fuel Level Very Low" but as I drive, the gauge slowly goes up. Then once I turn it off and back on, the gas gauge will be back to a normal position. Sometimes when I turn the car on it will go to the full tank marker, which sometimes isn't right and I have to turn the off and back on to get a correct reading. Not only does the gauge change but if I check the fuel range it changes, too. I have no idea what could be causing this and I am never sure how much gas I have...unless I just filled it up. It's really frustrating. Is this my fuel pump going bad or something in my computer? Any ideas? I'm lost.

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
Do some searching, you might as well put a pump in it, the level sensor is an assembly with the pump. You have to drop the tank on a 96, have fun.

Mine has been acting up in my 01, reset the fuel used whenever you fill it up, it's very accurate, I think it goes off the fuel injector pulse widths rather than the level sensor.

I will be looking at rockauto or gmpartsdirect when I order my new one, the dealer's not cheap.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you think i'd have to change my whole pump? is this a sign of my pump dying? is there no other choice but dropping the tank? i've heard rumors of cutting a whole in the trunk or seat pan....i don't think i'd do this to my caddy but is it possible?

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Well I changed the fuel-sending unit on my cousin’s Grand Prix about one year ago. Two weeks ago I replaced again the whole pump assembly (you can find the sending unit separately but not the pump alone). My fuel pump died when my car was around 70K and my friend’s identical car & year fuel pump died at 115K (a month and a half ago).
Is a game of Russian roulette, you can go ahead and change just the sending unit and save ~$150 (out of a ~$750-800 bill). Now if it will be the ’98 and newer design (with the hatch you mentioned above the pump – same like the Grand Prix), well I would not think a lot to replace just the sending unit (is a DIY 10 minutes job). But in the case with our cars where you have to drop the tank… well it gets more complicated (more things to consider). Even so I would still not cut a hole in the trunk for a job I do once in 10 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts