Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Escalade - 6.2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - looking for some help here. A few weeks back my 2008 Escalade threw a P0430 code. I had the shop check it out and they said no leaking exhaust and didn’t seem to be the sensors. I threw some Cataclean in it twice to clean the cat and cycled it. Code disappeared and seemed it might’ve worked. Yesterday it threw the P1175 code. I am not quite sure what’s up with this code. I went ahead and charted up the O2 sensors shown below and wasn’t sure this is how it should be acting. I do know that we bought this a few weeks ago and the people we bought it from left it in Ohio every winter for Florida. I was thinking maybe this is a fuel injection issue but wanted to get your thoughts. I’ll probably end up taking it to the shop again this week.

Slope Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant Number Multimedia

·
Registered
2008 Escalade - 6.2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The maintenance records given from past owner were only showing constant oil changes, new shocks struts and brakes, and then a few smaller items like switching window switches and new battery.

I have not asked the person about the P1175 code. If I can’t get any answers on how or what to look for I am taking it to the shop tomorrow.
Thanks!

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Do you have any mant records from the past owner?

Did you ask the person who looked at the truck any of these questions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
It's OK I'm a Limo driver
1,583 Posts
There is a big difference in the short term fuel trim between bank one and two. I would say there is an issue with either a plug, coil or injector on bank 2.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade - 6.2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info... I just threw some fuel injector cleaner in and will check to see if it gets better. I was not sure if I could diagnose that given I haven't seen anything that would give me evidence of a misfire.

There is a big difference in the short term fuel trim between bank one and two. I would say there is an issue with either a plug, coil or injector on bank 2.

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
1,189 Posts
The scanner you're using is not very good
that graph is only 10 seconds, that does not mean much at all

You should be looking at the B1 and B2 LTFT and the B1 & B2 S1 (front O2s)
Determine if the values from B1 and B2 are balanced in reporting about the same values left/right

Fine that you're doing this when engine is in closed loop (coolant temps above 160 deg)

You need a longer test drive scanner recording and doing it only in idle would only show what is going
on with that engine RPM, load then and not what the values would be under different engine conditions

STFTs are reporting that moment of time, whereas the LTFT as long term adjustment to AFR and PCM reacts to once every 10 minutes.

P1175 slants to issue on B2 (side that has cylinder 2)

Dirty MAF
Can be clogged fuel injector(s),
lazy B2S1 O2 sensor
Some type of intake or exhaust leak
Using too low of an octane gas
Using E15 gas with lower octane, vehicle was not designed for E15, yet the feds mandated that crap 1 1/2 years ago and most people are not asking if E10 or E15 is coming out of that gas station pump
The more Ethanol percentage is, the leaner the AFR and Fuel trims will be

·
Registered
2008 Escalade - 6.2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome - I can actually get a longer reading for charting purposes. I will do that and report back with B1 and B2 STFT and LTFT readings.... I wasn't exactly sure what to look for as both codes that I had were for B2 so started there.

The scanner you're using is not very good
that graph is only 10 seconds, that does not mean much at all

You should be looking at the B1 and B2 LTFT and the B1 & B2 S1 (front O2s)
Determine if the values from B1 and B2 are balanced in reporting about the same values left/right

Fine that you're doing this when engine is in closed loop (coolant temps above 160 deg)

You need a longer test drive scanner recording and doing it only in idle would only show what is going
on with that engine RPM, load then and not what the values would be under different engine conditions

STFTs are reporting that moment of time, whereas the LTFT as long term adjustment to AFR and PCM reacts to once every 10 minutes.

P1175 slants to issue on B2 (side that has cylinder 2)

Dirty MAF
Can be clogged fuel injector(s),
lazy B2S1 O2 sensor
Some type of intake or exhaust leak
Using too low of an octane gas
Using E15 gas with lower octane, vehicle was not designed for E15, yet the feds mandated that crap 1 1/2 years ago and most people are not asking if E10 or E15 is coming out of that gas station pump
The more Ethanol percentage is, the leaner the AFR and Fuel trims will be

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Awesome - I can actually get a longer reading for charting purposes. I will do that and report back with B1 and B2 STFT and LTFT readings.... I wasn't exactly sure what to look for as both codes that I had were for B2 so started there.
You must include the B1 & B2 S1 O2 sensors to crosscheck the LTFT values

·
Premium Member
2008 Escalade Sport, 2018 Escalade Luxury & 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE
2,523 Posts
Change the o2 sensors and use OEM only or code will come back. I had the same issue. P1175 means either fuel injectors or o2 but your fuel trims look ok.

Here is my OnStar diagnostic when I had the check engine light and called OnStar. I replaced my o2 sensors and never had the issue again it’s not your converter. The reason why the report says it was a 2010 transverse is because I have a OnStar module from a 2010 transverse in my 2008 Escalade.
Font Parallel Number Rectangle Pattern

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The OPs scanner chart says nothing about the fuel trims in total
Elapsed time is only once every 5 seconds and as it is the STFT went -6% rich to +6% lean in a few seconds
The PCM is broken down by a matrix of fuel trim cells 0 to 22 that are broken down by what the engine RPMs are to MAP values
If that recording was at idle, autro tranny, A/C on, that would only be for cell 18 only and not what the fuel trim values would look like for the other 22 cells

Scanner like they are using are too limited in reporting GM enhanced PIDs, slower than 10 F/ps capture rate (mine does as many as 40 F/ps) so misses lots of data

Not that the OP needs all these PIDs to debug his issue, but I use this PID group as a minimum when analyzing fueling issues

Font Rectangle Parallel Slope Number

·
Registered
2008 Escalade - 6.2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to follow up on this. Apparently I did not have a scanner that did what I wanted it to so would need to order a new one. This time I will definitely get a quality tool to properly help in diagnosis.

Took it to the shop on Monday and mechanic had a good scanner. He said it looked like it was the O2 sensor since there was no evidence of misfires, etc. Changed out all of them to OEM/AC Delco and got it back yesterday, drove around for a day and now I am getting a P0430. So back to the shop....

I did notice that the MAP was reading about 35 kPA at idle and most of what I have seen says it should read around 22kPA and I know that can cause issues. I did gas it and it does seem to be variable between 20-45kPA or so. If anyone thinks that is out of line or has any other ideas that would be great.
I really hate these things as they are so hit or miss... I threw about $3k at my previous Subaru and these O2 type codes were still coming back. It drove me so crazy I ended up just trading it in.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
P0430 is the catalytic converter and probably you been driving for some time with non-functioning o2's and ruined your converter. If you look at the above post that onstar sent me it does say not to drive more than a week with the CEL or you risk more damage. I actually experienced this before when I ignored my CEL and drove over 5k miles before my truck started to run sluggish and i would have to drive slowly to get up to speed.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Usually when I am testing the injectors I switch sides and move all the left to the right than the right to left and if I get the p1174 which is for bank 1 instead of p1175 for bank 2 than I replace all 4 injectors. You could actually fix your truck using Onstar because they will scan your truck for free which allot of people doesn't know this. I like the Innova 5160rs scan tool from AutoZone which is all you need unless you need to reprogram security or abs modules. If you need injectors don't buy off of eBay because there are allot of great counterfeits being sold. I am using the GP-Sorsenson from AutoZone which are better than OEM. They cost almost as much as the OEM's. I installed on both banks but I did one bank a couple of years back first and I went to check my fuel trims they are still close to zero after 30k miles. GP has a great video on there website explaining why they are better. I also changed all my coils for under $350 from AutoZone that comes with lifetime warranty and the truck runs just as good as my 2018 with direct injection with 45k miles. Between the o2's, injectors, coils, plugs, wires and converter you could have the truck running just like it did in 2008. I see people paying close to $500 to clean the injectors, you could buy all new quality injectors for a few hundred more if that.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You can send out fuel injectors to shops that do that business for like $25 to $30 each
They clean, flow match, replace the screen and if wanting a higher flow they also do resizing

Thus, there are no issues as if buying 3rd party ones you will not know if the injector voltage offset values are the same as OEM and end up with the PCM commanding the injectors on too early or late or not know what all the values for them are to redo the values in the PCMs calibration voltage offset table or injector ON times.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade - 6.2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good deal. Thanks for the info.

FWIW The truck has had less than 200 miles or so in the past week from when the O2 sensor went out if that was the real issue. It’s not sluggish at all. The ole 6.2 is still lively and an absolute power house. Still drives like it’s new. It’s more responsive than my 2019 Silverado with 30k on it which was a big reason I picked her up. After I put the cataclean in the P0430 code disappeared, about 50 miles later the P1175 came on, and now back to the P0430. Regardless going back to the shop tomorrow. If i

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Good deal. Thanks for the info.

FWIW The truck has had less than 200 miles or so in the past week from when the O2 sensor went out if that was the real issue. It’s not sluggish at all. The ole 6.2 is still lively and an absolute power house. Still drives like it’s new. It’s more responsive than my 2019 Silverado with 30k on it which was a big reason I picked her up. After I put the cataclean in the P0430 code disappeared, about 50 miles later the P1175 came on, and now back to the P0430. Regardless going back to the shop tomorrow. If i
You can do a catalytic test using a tool to see if one of your converters are bad.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade - 6.2
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did the test... it's the CAT...... another $1600 down the drain on this used horse..... starting to feel like a money pit and only had it a month LOL... my mechanic prefers using Walker exhaust so believe he is going that route.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I would go oem. Sometimes mechanics sell what they got or who they get the best price from. Sometimes on Craigslist or offerup you find someone selling it for cheap.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts