Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fuel smell coming from the vents only when heat is on. I don't see any leaks and it doesn't seem to be coming through the fire wall. Any ideas.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles
983 Posts
I have a fuel smell coming from the vents only when heat is on. I don't see any leaks and it doesn't seem to be coming through the fire wall. Any ideas.
usually this happens when your purge solenoid valve (EVAP System) isn't working. The fumes from the gas tank get pulled into the intake, or canister. If this system fails you get the smell of fuel. Curious any codes/engine light ?

·
Registered
'09 Chrysler 300C, *''03 CTS is gone"
235 Posts
Sometimes i have the same problem, but only the first minutes after the engine started and if its really cold outside.
After a short while the fuel smell disappears.

I think its nothing serious, at least i hope it. :D

·
Registered
CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Check engine light is on. P0128. The process happened in this order so maybe I caused something. Took to dealership for recall on break lines. On my way home. Car started shaking and check engine light came on. Check it and it was misfiring on 1,2,3. I changed the spark plugs and coil pack on 1,3,5. They didn't have other bank. The two black hoses are broke on top. (vacuum hoses I assume?). Not sure if i broke those, didn't notice before hand. I disconnected battery to reset check engine light. Started smelling fuel afterwards and check engine light came on. Checked it and it still said misfiring 1,2,3. Thought maybe it didnt reset so I cleared code with dino. Check engine light came on and I checked it again. P0128. Coolant was low so I filled it and cleared code. Check engine light is back on for P0128. Think that is the thermostat. I kow there is a possibilty of the heater core being bad but it doesn't seem to be a sweet smell. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Try this. The next time you start the car, Don't put on the heater or the window defogger until the cars been running for about half an hour or so. I find that I get the P0128 code when the car is still cold and I put on the heater or defogger. I normally turn the heater off, clear the code, and it doesn't return. It also doesn't flag on the check engine light (i just have a tendency of checking for codes at random on my drives)

Let it start running a little longer before you put the heaters on. Heated seats is fine though. That doesn't matter.

[edit]
Also, two more things:
You might need the cabin air filter replaced. Thats a quick 5-10 minute job. And also, you need to post pictures. Thanks and welcome to the site

·
Registered
CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I will try that. The smell doesn't come through if the A/C is on. If the cabin air filter was part of the issue, wouldn't it be during both?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
So the smell is there if the heater is on, but its not there if the AC is on, but its there when both are off?

·
Registered
CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. The smell is only when i turn the heat on. When the A/C is on, there is no smell and when they are both off, there is no smell.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
P0128 is operating below normal temp isnt it?
its been a while since ive seen that code but its usually the thermostat or temp sensor. the temp sensor is apparently cheaper and easier to change but its more often the thermostat.
the fuel smell would most likely not be related to this code.
are you sure it is gas you are smelling? take a look around your valve covers for leaking oil, the oil runs down and on to the headers and cats, where it burns and then you get the smell drifting through the vents.

·
Registered
CTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, P0128 is Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature. I was pretty sure it was a gas smell. I check the valve covers tomorrow morning and let you know.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
Check the power steering fluid cap too. Sometimes you can burn off some power steering fluid if its filled too high and it'll spill over, burn and have a similar smell to gas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts