Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a recall notice from the local dealer asking me to bringin my caddy to replace the fuel rail. I have absolutly no idea what the fuel rail does or why it would need to be replaced. Can anyone give me some more info on this ? thanks

·
Registered
None
588 Posts
I have recived 2 recalls since october, on my 97 concurs, the fuel rails can leak and cause a fire, its right on top of the motor so u can inspect it for cracks and or leaks. I had the same recall on my 95 Auora to.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It's basically a tube that runs around your intake manifold that carries fuel to the injectors.
The injectors are mounted in 8 holes around the rail and slip into openings in the top of the intake.
The injectors are removed with the "rail" and a redesigned steel rail is installed. There were a number of "unreliable" rails produced that had a tendency to crack and cause fuel leaks that can lead to a "thermal event" ;)

If you remove the engine cover, you'll see it. It's a series of black nylon tubes that are connected above each injector.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
ewill3rd said:
There were a number of "unreliable" rails produced that had a tendency to crack and cause fuel leaks that can lead to a "thermal event"
In the IT business, we call it a "thermal event with visual indicator" when a server power supply catches fire... :D Get out before the halon system goes off.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
We had a halon system in the 'bead room' at the styrofoam plant I worked in.
It had a steel door that was tied to the system.
In a "thermal event" you definietly wanted to be somewhere else.
The reason they actually installed that system is because a few years earlier the whole place burned to the ground in 20 minutes.
It's a company called diversified plastics corporation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts