Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
kjd03842 said:
What campaign? Is this a recall? What's affected?
Yes, but your 98 STS is not affected. Only 95s to 97s are recalled IIRC, but maybe someone will chime in with a correction. The recall is to replace the original nylon fuel rail with a stainless steel one to prevent cracking and leaking that could lead to stalling or fires.

·
Registered
2004 SLS
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mike:

AC Delco has two replacement FPRs for my late production 97 STS...

217-1598 for nylon fuel rail/first design

217-1630 for steel fuel rail/second design

I was curiously looking at various parts in AC Delco's website the other day. Interestingly, I checked on a FPR, and found the above parts and info.
Dumbfounded as to why the campaign did not install the current 2nd design FPR, which is designed for stainless steel fuel rails. If I understand the campaign procedures correctly, the existing and/or original FPR (designed for a nylon fuel rail) are being re-installed.

Checking after-market FPRs. I have yet to find a FPR specific to either nylon or stainless steel fuel rails. They all look the same, and priced competitively. No difference from what I have seen in comparison to each other.

·
Registered
2003 DeVille DTS
228 Posts
mcowden said:
Yes, but your 98 STS is not affected. Only 95s to 97s are recalled IIRC, but maybe someone will chime in with a correction. The recall is to replace the original nylon fuel rail with a stainless steel one to prevent cracking and leaking that could lead to stalling or fires.
Thanks, thats clears up a lingering question I've had. I'm having fuel problems, getting ready to replace the pump.
A somewhat related question, I'll repost if no one answers here: How many miles should the injectors last? Clean fuels, etc etc

Thanks

·
1,164 Posts
kjd03842 said:
Thanks, thats clears up a lingering question I've had. I'm having fuel problems, getting ready to replace the pump.
A somewhat related question, I'll repost if no one answers here: How many miles should the injectors last? Clean fuels, etc etc

Thanks
Injectors should last the life of the engine, i.e. they have no published lifetime expectancy or changeout intervals. Due to differences in manufacturing, fuels, usage, etc., I would say it's not possible to predict how long an injector will last.

·
1,164 Posts
Closet Boy said:
Mike:

AC Delco has two replacement FPRs for my late production 97 STS...

217-1598 for nylon fuel rail/first design

217-1630 for steel fuel rail/second design

I was curiously looking at various parts in AC Delco's website the other day. Interestingly, I checked on a FPR, and found the above parts and info.
Dumbfounded as to why the campaign did not install the current 2nd design FPR, which is designed for stainless steel fuel rails. If I understand the campaign procedures correctly, the existing and/or original FPR (designed for a nylon fuel rail) are being re-installed.

Checking after-market FPRs. I have yet to find a FPR specific to either nylon or stainless steel fuel rails. They all look the same, and priced competitively. No difference from what I have seen in comparison to each other.
You are right, and I found the same thing. I asked a Cadillac tech about this and he explained that the clips for the FPR on the nylon rail were a little bit larger and a slightly different style. The new one uses a large single clip for the stainless rail FPR socket. The only difference between the two AC-Delco kits is the clip included in the package. The FPR itself is identical. I don't know which clip the aftermarket FPR vendors ship with their products, but it's possible they just include both. I have never seen a picture of one of those kits. User ewill3rd may be able to shed more light on this as he may have done some of the recall work before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts