Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I've got a friend that has a 89 Deville with a bad fuel pump. Before I volunteer to drop the tank on this beast, is there anyone that has tackled this job before? And would be willing to let me know of any pitfalls I should be watching out for. I don't want to commit an entire week to this project, since it's not even mine.
I'd appreciate any help that you can give me.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Its an easy job... Once you get to the fuel tank, you undo the screws and lift it out......

The 89 deville may be one of the cars with the bad fuel tank.... Can someone confirm this???

Also, how are you sure its a bad pump (just curious, might help others determine if they have a bad pump)

Welcome to cadillacforums, thanks for signing up :wave:

·
Registered
219 Posts
My 90' deville has 198,000 and the original tank, and it just so happens I did a fuel pump on it about 2 months ago. The pump wasnt bad, but the 2 rubber/steel feed and return lines were rotted so bad they leaked, the cost me 137 for the feed and 45 for the return, but if they are rusting and hard to turn the compression fittings do yourself a favor and change em. As for pitfalls on the job, yes! There is 2 huge ones, I ran into. When I was backing out the bolt off the passengers side strap, the nut on the other side, that is tack welded to the mount broke, and began spinning, no matter what I did I couldnt get a wrench on it, or pliars or anything else you can think of, so rather that cutting it all apart, I took the other strap down off the driver's side and shook the tank all around to get the other strap a little looser, then had someone support the driver's side of the tank, and I took a peice of wood and a jack handle and slid the pasengers side strap towards the outside of the car, by beating the crap out of the strap, it can be done without hurting the tank, I know it sounds a little nasty but it will go. The tank gets flatter about 3 inches from where the strap is, so you dont have to move it too far, then after the tank is out, you can access the bolt to remove it, but you might not have that problem anyway. Then I got the tank out, and (sigh) I saw the lines that run across the top of the tank to the send unit and fuel pump, yea, they were rotted too. So I called the Auto parts, dealer only item, so I called Cadillac, it was 500 bucks, I had to buy it, I had no choice. But I will tell you a secret. Go directly to the AC Delco website, to can get it for 281 bucks, same part except the use plastic fuel lines like in the 91 and up devilles which is better. Phew! that was a lot of typing. But if you don't run into those problems the job will go well, lube up those strap bolts the day before you do the job with some penetrating oil, I didnt, and look what happened! Let me know if you need anything else I will be glad to help.

Jack

·
Registered
531 Posts
belair58 said:
Hi guys,

I've got a friend that has a 89 Deville with a bad fuel pump. Before I volunteer to drop the tank on this beast, is there anyone that has tackled this job before? And would be willing to let me know of any pitfalls I should be watching out for. I don't want to commit an entire week to this project, since it's not even mine.
I'd appreciate any help that you can give me.
Thanks.
The biggest pitfall is having a full tank. I had a quarter of a tank in mine, when I changed my pump. I did it on my driveway and that shit was heavy as hell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
evilrussian