Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 caddy Deville just died on me last week while driving on a bridge. I thought it was the alternator, changed it out and it won't start. Changed out the ignition control module and it still won't start. I also changed out the battery and it still won't start. When it died that night I did get p053 error. code, but what could interupt the distributor? I have checked the fuses on the driver side and they are fine, but where do you find the fuel pump relay? I had someone try to start the car for me and I removed the breather and I did not see any fuel being sprayed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
cdre42 said:
I have checked the fuses on the driver side and they are fine, but where do you find the fuel pump relay?
I think the fuel pump relay is to turn on the fuel pump while no oil pressure is present during the start-up. It does not provide power to the pump while running.

If your car died while driving, I don't think the fuel pump is the primary cause. I think a failed relay would cause difficult starting.

I would suggest before doing anything, check spark and fuel pressure... By the way, is a 90 DeVille TBI?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is a TBI. I will check the fuel pressure but I don't have the tools to check the spark of the plugs. Could the fuel pump fuse have blown causing the system to lose pressure? Right after it cutoff on me I was able to start it a couple of times but it would die in a less than 10 secs, so I thought it could be the ignition control module. I have been unable to locate the fuses to check, are they located under the dash board on the driver side or under the hood?

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
cdre42 said:
Yes it is a TBI. I will check the fuel pressure but I don't have the tools to check the spark of the plugs. Could the fuel pump fuse have blown causing the system to lose pressure? Right after it cutoff on me I was able to start it a couple of times but it would die in a less than 10 secs, so I thought it could be the ignition control module. I have been unable to locate the fuses to check, are they located under the dash board on the driver side or under the hood?
I have not owned and do not own a 90 DeVille, so I don't know where the fuel pump fuse is... Anyway, since your car is TBI, I believe you can check fuel delivery as you said (just looking in) as a first try. Sounds like you may have a good initial fuel delivery during start-up, but may not once the engine fires up. If so, you could jumper the relay to see if this change anything. If jumpering the relay works, I would guess the problem is the oil pressure sensor (which I have never heard of failing)...

About spark, the way I do is to pull a plug boot and put an old plug there. Hold it against the engine such that ground is provided to the plug body and see if there is spark. You need to be careful not to get a shock.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had a similar experience on my 84 Eldorado. One thing you may want to do is take off the distributor cap and be sure the rotor is turning in sync with the crank. My problem happened to be the timing chain which gave the same symptoms as you are describing. Died while driving no warning and only threw a code 53 (Distributor signal interrupt.) If your rotor is turning check fuel pressure, and spark (put an old plug in the wire and ground out the casing, check visually for spark). I threw 100$ worth of HEI parts in my eldo before I finally figured out it was the stupid timing chain :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts