Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
05 sts
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a letter from Cadillac saying not to let my 05 STS(1sc) get below 1/8 tank of gasoline.It said the warning light/chime might not work. A software correction will be available in April. Anyone else get this message?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I haven't and I regularly run mine close to empty. I get a Low Range message at about 50 miles and I have often driven 40 to 50 miles from this point.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Fred_Mac said:
I haven't and I regularly run mine close to empty. I get a Low Range message at about 50 miles and I have often driven 40 to 50 miles from this point.
Hi Fred_Mac,
that is correct, but after about 40 miles driven from "fuel level low" you should receive the massage "fluid level very low" - this will only give you maybe 10 more miles, till empty.

Harry

·
Registered
117 Posts
I can't remember exactly, but on the STS it changes from Low Range to Fuel Level Low or something like that. I have pushed it to the limit a couple times ... within about a 2/10th of a gallon from capacity. :bang2:

·
Registered
2016 CT6 Premium Luxury Graphite Grey 3.0TT
19 Posts
A small number of 2005 model year Cadillac STS owners have experienced a condition where fuel stopped flowing to the engine even though the fuel gauge showed approximately 1/8 tank of gas in the vehicle. The "Fuel Level Low" indicator did not illuminate and the warning chime did not activate. A software calibration change to correct this condition should be available for your vehicle in April. As soon as the correction is available we will notify you. Your dealer will repair your vehicle at no charge. This condition does not occur every time the tank reaches 1/8 or less and most drivers will never experience it, but to avoid greater inconvenience, we recommend that you not let your fuel level fall below 1/4 tank until your vehicle is updated.

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
517 Posts
[LEFT said:
bobbybruin[/LEFT]]A small number of 2005 model year Cadillac STS owners have experienced a condition where fuel stopped flowing to the engine even though the fuel gauge showed approximately 1/8 tank of gas in the vehicle. The "Fuel Level Low" indicator did not illuminate and the warning chime did not activate.
Oh yeah, that's the truth...:yup:

As previously posted though, at least it only took ten minutes to get some gas from Caddy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
--
first of all i've been a bit disappointed at how low the gas mileage is on my STS i picked up Dec. 16th, 2005. I've been averaging around 15 (and its the V6)... which doesnt sound that bad, but it just seems i have about 750 miles on it total and have already filled up the tank for the 4th time :(

this last time, i did notice the the FUEL RANGE LOW light didnt come on until it was beneath the last light. and it was under 40 mile left range... wont let it get that low again, but i just wanted to see when the LOW FUEL light would come on.

·
Banned
851 Posts
cosmin said:
--
first of all i've been a bit disappointed at how low the gas mileage is on my STS i picked up Dec. 16th, 2005. I've been averaging around 15 (and its the V6)... which doesnt sound that bad, but it just seems i have about 750 miles on it total and have already filled up the tank for the 4th time :(

this last time, i did notice the the FUEL RANGE LOW light didnt come on until it was beneath the last light. and it was under 40 mile left range... wont let it get that low again, but i just wanted to see when the LOW FUEL light would come on.
Hi cosmin, first congrats on your new (or your wifes) STS AWD.:thumbsup:
Don`t forget, it`s an AWD and this costs allways a little more gasoline than a RWD model.
But you still should be able to get about 300-350 miles per tank on 70-80 mph highway driving. What color do you have? Do you have the new 18 inch wheels (new for the v6 in 06) on?
Thanks
Harry

·
Registered
13 Posts
--
lol... the STS is mine.. my wife drives the Aztek :D

.. i'm no where near the 300-350 mp tank.. i did mostly city driving, but this past weekend i took it on a longer highway trek and before i knew it it sucks the gas... anyway. will have to 'break it in' some more.

about the 18" wheels. :) ...to be honest, i dont know. i didnt care what wheels it came with because i was going to get some 20"+ wheels come spring time. :)

·
Registered
2017 XT5, 1993 Allante
39 Posts
This thread is very interesting. When our STS was new (January '05), we got low on fuel -- probably a little less than 1/8 tank, if I remember correctly -- and the "Fuel Level Low" message came on. I of course told my wife not to sweat it, because, based on long Cadillac experience, we'd later get a "Fuel Level Very Low" message, and there'd still be plenty of fuel to get to the service station. Was I ever surprised when about 10 miles after getting the first message, we ran out of gas. No "Fuel Level Very Low" message, no other warning -- just sputter and engine dead. Fortunately we were practically driving in our driveway when this happened, and Cadillac Roadside Assistance came and brought us some gas.

I've received no letter from Cadillac about this issue. RAP644, when did the letter arrive? Would you mind posting a copy of it?

·
Registered
05 sts
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ben, see post #6 from Bobby Bruin in this thread. That is a copy of what I received from Cadillac. You may want to ask your service adivsor about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts