Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 DTS / 2005 STS
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow morning my DTS is going into the shop to have the #3 fuel injector changed. Now I'm not ignorant, but far from a certifieds mechanic lol, so my question is quite simple. Do the spark plugs need to be removed to change out a fuel injector? Or can you easily access the plugs during this process? I ask because if so I was going to ask the mechanic to toss in my new AC DELCO plugs/plug coils (boots) when he does the injector to get the Autozone crap out of there and save on labor expenses! Thanks in advance for any help provided, you guys are amazing!!!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,802 Posts
"Toss in new plugs" on our engines is most definitely NOT the proper term. The fuel rail CAN be lifted and one injector changed out.

The spark plugs are down under the coil cassettes. The engine cover comes off, the AIR valve over the rear (right) cam cover is disconnected and removed, the coil cassettes and plug boots are removed and the plugs get changed. Reverse the removal process using a tiny bit of anti-seize on the first 3 plug threads. Check each plug gap at .050". About 13 ft/lb of torque on the plugs. A good mechanic can do the plug change in 2.5 hours.

·
Registered
2000 DTS / 2005 STS
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx, the shop did all new plugs, boots, and injector #3 this morning. Runs smooth at higher speeds but at stops the motor is "shimmying" which is vibrating the car so I don't know what else to do Sub, u guys are my only hope for suggestions at this point.

·
Registered
2000 DTS / 2005 STS
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No codes? Have you cleaned the TB recently?
No, but I was thinking about lettin a place like Valvoline Instant Oil Change do a fuel system flush which they claim does just that. Whats your thoughts on a service like that?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,802 Posts
No, but I was thinking about lettin a place like Valvoline Instant Oil Change do a fuel system flush which they claim does just that. Whats your thoughts on a service like that?
Forget it. Find a 20 oz. jug of Chevron TECHRON and dump it in the tank with a fill-up of Shell, Texaco or Chevron 93 octane. Do this only once every 3,000-5,000 miles. TECHRON is a powerful fuel system cleaner.

NO fuel system cleaner will clean the throttlebody on a multiport fuel injected engine. That must be done with rags, a toothbrush, and throttlebody cleaner spray. Takes an hour, start to finish. Piece of cake. Many posts and how-to's in here, Northstar Performance and Technical Tips.

Google "chevron techron" and "top tier gasoline" and do some reading to find out about fuel system and injector maintenance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts