Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Blue 1993 Sedan DeVille, 4.9
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a guy change out four of my injectors that I couldn't get to and now my "91 deville is running worse than before. I was getting great gas mileage and everything before changing these last four. I couldn't get to them and was afraid of messing with the alternator and power steering pump. Could these injectors be clogged? Anyway to clean them out or whatever. I may have to order another set from ebay. They were pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
If you bought used ebay ones, Look Out! they may have been bad to begin with, unless checked electically and leak tested. Also, did u replace both O-rings on each FI? If not, and the old ones were used, the seal may be bad on one or more of the injectors or the fuel rail is not seated tightly. Take a visual check to spot anything loose, like connectors and vacuum lines. Maybe a screw got left off of the fuel rail. It could be so many things. Any codes from your OBD?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,092 Posts
Lord only knows what you got. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Why did you change them in the first place? It's rare that one goes bad let alone all 8.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One of the injectors was bad. I was told I had an internal engine problem. Translation: you need a new engine. I didn't want to accept that. Got the suggestion from this site to change the injectors and I did. Improved my gas mileage dramatically when I changed the four that I changed. I looked around the fuel rail and noticed that it wasn't seated tight near the alternator. Problem solved. My gas mileage hasn't quite returned to where it was but it's still good. The car has never run better and no longer gives an E30 code or unstable idle. It used to do that periodically but not all the time. Now it's on to more little things that need fixing. I'll be posting again. Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do get an E48 code now though. Do I need to replace the egr valve? Is there a way to clean it out?

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,255 Posts
I do get an E48 code now though. Do I need to replace the egr valve? Is there a way to clean it out?
Most likely only two EGR tubes inside the throttle body under the blades need cleaning with a peice of coat hanger. It usually takes care of E048 and SES light.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
U probly shoulda done the EGR valve when you had the fuel rail off. It can be removed and cleaned but is PITA to do that with the fuel rail back in place, plus you would need a new gasket for it. However what you can do is take the throttle body back off. pretty easy. Like HUF says clean the EGR stack tubes there in the intake. FSM recommends a 11/32 drill bit (use it manually, I did this to my Dev) to fit down into each tube and twist it to scrape the sides of all the crud ( a hanger would work too I guess). The only problem will be that once you loosen up all that crud, ideally you'd want to blow it out where the EGR valve sits. Now you'll run the risk of clogging the EGR valve up a bit. Try it and see what happens. Worst case you'll keep getting the code and then you'll almost have to suffer the PITA of removing the EGR valve and cleaning it. IF that happens, do not use solvent on the EGR you have to carefully tap the pintle with a plastic hammer to loosen the crud off and gently scour with a brush type tool or sponge. Make sure it is as spotless as possible. clean the mating surfaces on the engine and reinstall with new gasket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts