Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought my '05 CTS with 30k miles on it. Its fine when your driving highway or at an idle... then when you're in trafffic or driving in a residential you notice that the car is hesitating or feeling like its starving for fuel and when you only get up to about 1,500 and come to a complete stop, the engine shakes and won't snap out of it unless u rev it up... almost sounds like an engine knock or a valve tap, but its not. No check engine lights, cadillac says its not showing any codes, I used seafoam in the gas tank. Nothing works. Any ideas? I'm thinking maybe an extremely dirty fuel filter?

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
i would start with your fuel filter, and air filter as well...when was the last time the oil was changed?
I agree with txbest. There are two things that I do when I buy a used car, have yet to buy a brand new one. First is to change the oil, but after 2 to 3 weeks. And second is to buy a K and N air filter. I change the oil after a few weeks, because I want to get to know the car first. But I diffently change the oil if I were you. If it still does it, change the fuel filter afterwards. I wouldn't change both at the same time. You want to see which one did the fix so you'll know.

If it still does it after fuel filter and oil change. Next would be spark plugs.

KOT

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
I agree with txbest. There are two things that I do when I buy a used car, have yet to buy a brand new one. First is to change the oil, but after 2 to 3 weeks. And second is to buy a K and N air filter. I change the oil after a few weeks, because I want to get to know the car first. But I diffently change the oil if I were you. If it still does it, change the fuel filter afterwards. I wouldn't change both at the same time. You want to see which one did the fix so you'll know.

If it still does it after fuel filter and oil change. Next would be spark plugs.

KOT
agreed

·
Registered
CTS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'm gonna do the fuel filter first since it seems like its having trouble pushing the fuel through at low rpm's. If that doesn't work then next is the volant intake and then spark plugs.

·
Registered
CTS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I am going to do because the dealership is trying to say it might be carbon build up, just hard to believe its that extreme at only 30k miles

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,814 Posts
Always go withthe simplest things first. Besides I was making a statment on the first two things I do when I buy a car. One is to change the oil and install a k and n air filter. Txbest just agreed with me.

KOT

·
Registered
CTS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure, I just bought the car less than a month ago so I'm gonna make them do it for free. They're obligated to fix the problem so I'm just gonna have to coach them through the process of elimination, which I shouldn't have to do when I bought it through GM. They have me going from caddy dealer to caddy dealer and they keep blaming it on carbon build up which don't sound like the problem at all. No codes are alarming so its not computer related. Its either fuel filter or fuel injector for sure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts