Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for routine maintenance today and they tried to sell me on fuel injector cleaning. Said its $180. I told them no. 2012cts 3.6 22000 miles and the guy said it was due for it at 18k. I can't imagine them doing any more then putting in an additive. If they were going to dig deeper the charge would of been more. Any ideas what they actually do for this service? And is it worth doing

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
arw1510,

Search the internet for archived document titled "GOODWRENCH DEBUNKS AUTO MYTHS," and you'll find this straight talk from General Motors:

"Unnecessary services: Maintenance services such as fuel injector cleaning and transmission fluid flushes aren't necessary as often anymore. Some routine maintenance services are still needed, but in most cases they aren't, so compare what's being suggested with what the owner's manual recommends – and possibly avoid spending money on unneeded maintenance."

If it's not recommended in the Owner’s Manual and your vehicle has no symptoms, then just DON’T do it! No exceptions.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,166 Posts
NONONONONONONONONO:lies:

·
Registered
2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior
452 Posts
I just read the manual and I don't see anything that requires fuel injector cleaning at 18,000 miles. However, if you look under "Fuel Additives" in the index it will refer you to a page the states that no fuel additives are needed to keep the fuel injectors and intake valves clean if you use top tier gas. It goes on to state that if you don't use top tier gas you should put in a bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment Plus at every oil change. So, what do they do for $180?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,166 Posts
Make money.

·
Registered
2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior
452 Posts
Make money.
You know that and I know that but what I'm getting at is that I'd like to hear the answer arw1510 gets from this place. He actually didn't specify that it was a dealership but if it was I'd like to hear what Cadillac Customer Service has to say about this.

12,778 Posts
Arw1510, we would indeed be happy to dig deeper for you regarding this concern! My work week unfortunately ends shortly at 4:30pm EST, so I recommend contacting my counterparts at our phone hotline for more immediate assistance. At your convenience, please call the Cadillac Customer Assistance Center at 800-458-8006 (open Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm EST). Having the last eight of your VIN handy would be very helpful when you call. Then, you will have an assigned agent researching your concerns further for you.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was at a Cadillac dealership. It was all the free premium care maintenance, except he wanted me to buy into that service. I'm certainly well aware and know better than to do so. But he wouldn't go into what they actually did for that service. All he said was that it cleans things up and will improve gas mileage, but couldn't get the "how". I also had to argue to get a rental car when they did the service although when I scheduled the appointment they said one would be available, this guy said they don't give them out or routine stuff. So then I also said that the hvac fan was too loud even under the lowest setting Sure enough I pick up the car that afternoon and he finds debris in there also. This dealer also mails out reminder letters each time I go in for service to give them the highest ranking if gm calls or sends a survey. Nonsense after nonsense

----------

Cadillac Cust Svc said:
Arw1510, we would indeed be happy to dig deeper for you regarding this concern! My work week unfortunately ends shortly at 4:30pm EST, so I recommend contacting my counterparts at our phone hotline for more immediate assistance. At your convenience, please call the Cadillac Customer Assistance Center at 800-458-8006 (open Mon to Sat, 8am to 9pm EST). Having the last eight of your VIN handy would be very helpful when you call. Then, you will have an assigned agent researching your concerns further for you.

Best,

Katie
Thanks Katie,

Maybe you could just tell me what the scheduled maintenance should be, and then why is the dealer telling me to do unnecessary services?

C

·
0 Posts
Its called upselling to make money off of you since you are only in there for the free maintenance.
The Service Adviser gets a commission based off of any service or part they can sell you.

Then the Tech gets his piece of the pie by getting to do the job, If he is hourly he is paid regardless for the time he there, But if he is Flat Rate which means he gets paid for the set book time for that particular job, so if it takes him 20 minutes to do a job that pays an Hour he makes more money off of that job.
Depending on the dealer the Service adviser will pressure the Tech to find something wrong to sell you the work while you are there for the free service with stuff like the fuel injection cleaning, brakes ,ect,ect..
Or the Service adviser will just make crap up to sell you like what they tried with you.

They never look for warranty work because the Adviser doesn't get a commission from it, And the Tech has a lower amount of time set to do the job which will pay him less $ or make him work harder to earn his pay.

12,778 Posts
It was at a Cadillac dealership. It was all the free premium care maintenance, except he wanted me to buy into that service. I'm certainly well aware and know better than to do so. But he wouldn't go into what they actually did for that service. All he said was that it cleans things up and will improve gas mileage, but couldn't get the "how". I also had to argue to get a rental car when they did the service although when I scheduled the appointment they said one would be available, this guy said they don't give them out or routine stuff. So then I also said that the hvac fan was too loud even under the lowest setting Sure enough I pick up the car that afternoon and he finds debris in there also. This dealer also mails out reminder letters each time I go in for service to give them the highest ranking if gm calls or sends a survey. Nonsense after nonsense

----------

Thanks Katie,

Maybe you could just tell me what the scheduled maintenance should be, and then why is the dealer telling me to do unnecessary services?
Arw, we (Customer Service) would need to investigate further before providing any definitive answers but are happy to research more in depth for you. If you haven't contacted my phone hotline counterparts as yet, please email me anytime at [email protected] for further assistance.

Best,

Katie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts