Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Cadillac Seville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am in the middle of converting my '79 Seville to carburetor. I've looked at Accel distributors but am confused about which specific
part is needed. The guys at the parts store say the 59113, but the 59107C looks like it might also fit. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

·
Registered
Eldorado
448 Posts
Hi. I am in the middle of converting my '79 Seville to carburetor.
I've looked at Accel distributors but am confused about which specific part is needed. The guys at
the parts store say the 59113, but the 59107C looks like it might also fit. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!
You need an HEI for a 77-79 Olds or Buick with 350 Olds engine. All the parts you need
would be on one of these. Don't forget to get the mechanical fuel pump and gas tank pickup.
Bruce Roe

·
Registered
2002 STS
101 Posts
Question from a complete car noob - (sorry for partial hi-jack)

Why would one want to convert from injection to carb? Isnt injection better/the way of the future?

·
Registered
Eldorado
448 Posts
Fuel injection systems are not all the same, by a long shot. The 70s Cad system was the
first electronic FI mass produced here, and there were some problems. There were no
microprocessors available when it was developed, so it is quite unsophisticated as EFI
goes. There were a lot of failure modes that later systems designed out. I think it did
run a little better than the carbs those years, but it was really good at passing emissions.

I see the original reason to inject, was to pass emission requirements. It handled
extremes like altitude and temp better. Later systems have all kinds of closed loop
adjustments that were fixed, open loop on a carb. Eventually engine management
allowed much more power with economy and emissions compliance; many "fun"
features like mpg readout; none of that in a 70s EFI. Bruce Roe EFI 79 Eldo

·
Registered
1979 Cadillac Seville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bruce,

Thanks for the tips. The big problem we had was when the car failed to start, the mechanic limited means of diagnosing the failure as there is no
OBD plug-in on a '79. Another problem is parts availability. I elected to go with the carb. conversion as the car is just too nice to junk. Overall, I
believe the 1st gen. of the Seville is the best! EFI problems aside, the 350 Rocket and Turbo 400 are bullet proof.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts