Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a really sweet 94 concours,,gave up the ghost.Just this weekend replaced it with a '00 STS.My first post and first question is does anyone have an answer why the fuel guage reads full when I used at least 10 gallons of gas? Is it a shorted guage ( wouldn't it read full) or is it just a bad sender?If I've posted a previously answered question ,,,sorry,,any ideas? By the way ,,I'm insane about the car!

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
These things have a history of bad sending units. The solution is most likely to get it replaced. I had the exact same symptoms as you. The fix was to get the sending unit in the fuel tank replaced. I had mine done under warranty. It now reads correct.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
There are a few threads on this. Bad GM design thats $400 - $500 for the part because they coupled the sender with the fuel pump. The quick fix is to use the "Fuel Used" function of the trip computer and reset it every fill up.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You can buy the fuel level sensor by itself in a "kit". It is still expensive but only on the order of about $200 or so. On a 2000 Seville you should have access to the fuel pump/sender through the trunk so it is much easier.

The new part is redesigned to last a lot longer.
Keeping your gas tank filled can help reduce the wear on the sensor.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You can buy the fuel level sensor by itself in a "kit". It is still expensive but only on the order of about $200 or so. On a 2000 Seville you should have access to the fuel pump/sender through the trunk so it is much easier.

The new part is redesigned to last a lot longer.
Keeping your gas tank filled can help reduce the wear on the sensor.
:confused: Dealer told me had to be all one unit :thepan: :rant2: Is that an amateur wrench fix or should I take it in?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If you have ever taken a sending unit out of a fuel tank... ever, you can do it no problem.
The only hard part is unlocking the ring that holds the pump in the tank.

They should be aware there is a sensor kit.
Sometimes I'll sell the whole thing if the car has huge mileage or if the pump is really noisy.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If you have ever taken a sending unit out of a fuel tank... ever, you can do it no problem.
The only hard part is unlocking the ring that holds the pump in the tank.

They should be aware there is a sensor kit.
Sometimes I'll sell the whole thing if the car has huge mileage or if the pump is really noisy.
Thanks Ewill :thumbsup: I may get brave and give it a try later this week. Does 91K qualify as "huge mileage" where I should consider just doing the pump too? It is not unusually noisy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts