Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
None
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....so I have 280 miles on my brand new STS V-8 AWD 1SG, and I'm sitting at a red light and notice the fuel gauge slowly drop from just under 3/4 to 1/4 of a tank in just a minute. Has anyone else experienced this????

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
517 Posts
I haven't sat there and watched it drop but the new vehicles have a "horrible" system for quantity, fuel burn and x-fer between the tanks.

Mine varies all the time as if it has a mind of its own!

Oh....if that 280 miles is on the first tank; pull over quick and fill up...

·
Registered
None
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the car last Friday with 3 miles on it and filled up on Sunday. Since sunday I have driven about 85 miles and it says that I now have 75 left on the tank. Earlier today it said I had 170 miles left. It's very weird, never seen anything like that happen before and I was on level ground. Go figure!!!!

·
Banned
851 Posts
STS2002 said:
I got the car last Friday with 3 miles on it and filled up on Sunday. Since sunday I have driven about 85 miles and it says that I now have 75 left on the tank. Earlier today it said I had 170 miles left. It's very weird, never seen anything like that happen before and I was on level ground. Go figure!!!!
Hi STS 2006 (now)

As I see, it`s still the first tank of fuel you driving. Drive it to almost empty and fill it up completely and you`ll see the problem is gone.

I forgot, congratulations to your new STS AWD, what color is it?

Harry

·
Registered
None
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!! I love the car. It's black on black. I actually just traded it in from a 2005 STS V6. The V8 is awesome. I forgot how much I missed having it!!!

·
Banned
851 Posts
STS2002 said:
Thank you!! I love the car. It's black on black. I actually just traded it in from a 2005 STS V6. The V8 is awesome. I forgot how much I missed having it!!!
No problem STS 2006 but please let me know if I was right!

You got a very elegant color combination and I think the AWD is good in winter for Michigan but didn`t you think about to get a STS V????

Yes, you are right, nothing is better than an american V 8:thumbsup:

Harry

·
Registered
None
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did consider the STS V, but then I'm thinking I'm screwed when is snows a foot and I can't get anywhere. I got the 05 STS V6 In March and we had one last snow in the beginning of April and it only dumped about 2 inches and I couldn't even get up my driveway, which only has a 5 degree incline. Part of my descision to get the 06 was the spectacular deals they had on the V8 AWD and the piece of mind of the AWD for when it snows. I think the STS V is an awesome vehicle for true american power and luxury. FYI...so far the gas gauge is holding true.

·
Banned
851 Posts
STS2002 said:
I did consider the STS V, but then I'm thinking I'm screwed when is snows a foot and I can't get anywhere. I got the 05 STS V6 In March and we had one last snow in the beginning of April and it only dumped about 2 inches and I couldn't even get up my driveway, which only has a 5 degree incline. Part of my descision to get the 06 was the spectacular deals they had on the V8 AWD and the piece of mind of the AWD for when it snows. I think the STS V is an awesome vehicle for true american power and luxury. FYI...so far the gas gauge is holding true.
for Michigan you`ve made the right choice!

Can you say already something to the fuel consumption V8 AWD : V6 rear drive?

Have a nice weekend

Harry

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
925 Posts
You might need the sending unit replaced in the gas tank. I had a similar problem on my 98 DeVille. The car had all of 10 miles when I took delivery, but after 2 days, the gauge was still showing a full tank but the range was showing LO. I tried resetting everything to no avail, and when I refilled, I had used about half a tank after about 5 days but the range continued to show LO. On the second tank, every time I braked, the gas gauge would go to empty, the range flash LO and after a few minutes return to normal. Took the car to the dealer, they quickly diagnosed the fuel sending unit, replaced it and 100,000 miles later I haven't had another problem.

·
Registered
None
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
harryctsv said:
for Michigan you`ve made the right choice!

Can you say already something to the fuel consumption V8 AWD : V6 rear drive?

Have a nice weekend

Harry
Harry,

Honestly the fuel consumption is terrible on the V8!!!! I'm averaging 13.5 mpg compared to the 17 mpg avg with the V6. I don't recall getting this bad fuel consumption with the V8 on the '03 and earlier STS and the '05 and newer have a 5 speed automatic, where the earlier one's had a 4 speed. I think GM needs to look at the final drive ratio to optimize fuel efficiency. What do you think?

·
Registered
None
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rjm said:
You might need the sending unit replaced in the gas tank. I had a similar problem on my 98 DeVille. The car had all of 10 miles when I took delivery, but after 2 days, the gauge was still showing a full tank but the range was showing LO. I tried resetting everything to no avail, and when I refilled, I had used about half a tank after about 5 days but the range continued to show LO. On the second tank, every time I braked, the gas gauge would go to empty, the range flash LO and after a few minutes return to normal. Took the car to the dealer, they quickly diagnosed the fuel sending unit, replaced it and 100,000 miles later I haven't had another problem.
If this happens again, I will definately take it in. Thank you for the info.

·
Banned
851 Posts
STS2002 said:
Harry,

Honestly the fuel consumption is terrible on the V8!!!! I'm averaging 13.5 mpg compared to the 17 mpg avg with the V6. I don't recall getting this bad fuel consumption with the V8 on the '03 and earlier STS and the '05 and newer have a 5 speed automatic, where the earlier one's had a 4 speed. I think GM needs to look at the final drive ratio to optimize fuel efficiency. What do you think?
Hi STS 2006, the 13.5/17 mpg I guess that`s under same driving conditions but don`t forget the AWD uses more than an only RWD.
I´m very happy with my XLR on fuel consumption, even on hard Autobahn-runs. Compaired to my DTS. the XLR uses less and you are right, this new 5 speed automatic works great.
Here in Germany we don`t go by "mpg", we go by "liter per 100 km" and I get an average of my XLR about 13 liters/100 km and with my DTS about 14 liters/100 km, that would be in mpg about 17 mpg/XLR and 16 mpg/DTS.

Your AWD it`s about 17 liters/100 km (13.5 mpg) that`s not too good but still compaired to the SRX V8 or the Escalade your`s is better.

Another thing, in winter driving and snow all cars will use more gasoline and I think you`ll get 15-17 mpg under normal conditions. You, are we will see.

Since Friday we got the first snow on the road and today it is snowing again even the main roads not clear - usually we get snow here in jan/feb.

I know you have a lot of snow, was in Jan03 for 3 days in Detroit for the "Detroit international auto show" at the Cobo center. I was there to take a look at the Cadillac Sixteen. It`s the most beautyfull car I´ve ever seen.

Well OK now, have a nice week

Harry

·
Registered
None
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
harryctsv said:
Hi STS2006,
how do you like this grill?
I like that grill alot! It brings the sportiness out. I have been thinking about painting the original grill the body color of my car, which is black. My caddi dealership will do it for about $150.

·
Banned
851 Posts
STS2002 said:
I like that grill alot! It brings the sportiness out. I have been thinking about painting the original grill the body color of my car, which is black. My caddi dealership will do it for about $150.
get the mesh grill, looks so good on the STS and it`s possible now for STS with ACC.

Harry

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
I live in the same area as you (West Bloomfield) and have put about 400 miles on an 06/v8/awd STS with very limited highway miles. I'm not timid about standing on the gas and am seeing 16.3 mpg so far. Perhaps your mileage will improve as your engine loosens up a bit.

Mark

·
Banned
851 Posts
commander112 said:
I live in the same area as you (West Bloomfield) and have put about 400 miles on an 06/v8/awd STS with very limited highway miles. I'm not timid about standing on the gas and am seeing 16.3 mpg so far. Perhaps your mileage will improve as your engine loosens up a bit.

Mark
Hi Mark, 16.3 that`s very good for a V8 AWD.

Harry

·
Registered
None
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
commander112 said:

Mark
Hi Mark,

that's interesting that you get 3 mpg better than I. I hope it does get better. By the way, how do you like the car?? Is this your first Caddi?? This car is my "dreamcar"!! I couldn't sleep the night before i got it.:D

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
STS2002 said:
Hi Mark,

that's interesting that you get 3 mpg better than I. I hope it does get better. By the way, how do you like the car?? Is this your first Caddi?? This car is my "dreamcar"!! I couldn't sleep the night before i got it.:D
First Caddy. Wife's ride but she is afraid to drive it (don't ask) so all the miles were put on by me. I am pretty pleased so far except my sensitive hearing. I already hear a rattle on the right side of the dash.

Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts