Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about the repeat. I accidently posted this in the electrical section. I was looking for my fuel filter and cant find it. Is it built into the side of the carb?

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
If it's a Q-Jet carb, it's right in the front of the carb where the fuel line attaches.
Here's a picture. The circle is around the filter housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's where i thought it was if it weren't hidden somewhere else. Damn fuel lines in the way so i can't get open that part. I'll have to take off the carb or something.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
1" line wrench on the filter housing, and a 5/8" line wrench on the fuel line breaks it loose. Then pull fuel line out of the way (it's tight but it CAN be done) and unscrew the filter housing. Be careful not to lose the spring behind the filter or (and this is IMPORTANT) the thin plastic seal that goes around the end of the filter housing (this is the only actual seal for the housing). The seal "clicks" in place on the end of the housing.
IMPORTANT TIP: DO NOT USE TEFLON TAPE ON ANY OF THE THREADS. (line or housing)

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
397 Posts
MMNineInchNails said:
Is it bad if there is no spring in there? What will it do with no spring? I pulled it off and there was no spring inside.
lol who cares? While you have it off put on a Holley or an Edelbrock!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2dfx said:
lol who cares? While you have it off put on a Holley or an Edelbrock!
I'd love to. Do you have the money to buy me a edelbrock 750cfm?? cause I sure don't.... :annoyed:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
BS!
The Q-Jet is great when you know how to set it up.
And YES, it DOES matter about the spring missing. That's what keeps the filter seated against the housing. Without the spring, you get no filtering.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Katshot said:
Not sure what you meant by universal one but you COULD just install an inline one and it would actually do a better job.
universal as in the one that i made a link to. They call it "universal" at least.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Just wanted to add to that post about the Q-Jet airflow ratings. I had to wait until I got to work to look up the exact sizes.

There are 2:
1-3/32" venturi (primary) = 750cfm
1-7/32" Venturi (primary) = 800cfm
As I recall, your car has the larger one but a simple measurment can nail it down for you.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Yeah, that's a common aftermarket inline unit. You really don't need one like that. They require you to use their replacement parts whereas any inline aftermarket one will work. I used those on my custom applications years ago because they looked cool but they are more money and less filter than many others on the market.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
There's only the two different sizes and I would think that all big block engines would get the 800cfm units but you never know. A quick measurement of the primary throttle bore will take the guess work out.

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
Q jets rule , we had one on a rescue truck , big block 454 , damn thing ran good once we rebuilt it (had been in the truck for 14 years)

dads vette has one but its on a 350 and id think a 750 is a bit big for stock so there musta been an even smaller q jet

IMHO the q jet is suprerior to a holley

1 - 20 of 21 Posts