Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 Eldo, and I was doing an oil change and the guy at the auto store advised me to go ahead and change the fuel filter.
I was assuming it would be a fairly easy job, but I can't find the filter?
The manual states it is located on the Left front side of the engine, but I don't see anything that would look like the filter.

Anyone know where this thing might be?

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
What engine? If it's carbureted, the fuel filter is likely at the inlet at the carburetor. If it's fuel-injected, it's likely a canister-looking filter that could be somewhere in the engine bay. I would look up the correct part on Rockauto.com and see what it looks like -- and then try to find that piece (in the absense of good advice, and I don't think I gave you any).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine is the 350 gas engine with fuel injection. I have the actual filter, and have looked throughout the engine area and don't see anything that appears to be a canister for it.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Sorry, I'm not that familiar with your particular vehicle. If you don't get any further help here, try an AutoZone:

http://www.autozone.com/in_our_stores/znet.htm

They apparently have this new computer program in their stores that shows you pictures and how-tos.

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Adding to this...my 97 SLS has a mysterious location for the fuel filter too...it's somewhere around the right rear wheel well of all places. I doubt your older eldo has that location, but if someone can pinpoint where they are on mid 90's Sevilles, I be grateful. Next time I rather change it myself too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have heard of the right rear well deal. My dad's Pontiac Bonneville had that.

I will check with autozone. The Eldo manual says "lower left front of engine" but I don't see a damn thing there.

Thanks

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado Fleetwood
112 Posts
I have a 1970 Eldorado. On my car, the fuel filter is actually inside the fuel pump, on the driver's side of the engine. My fuel filter is about the size of half a pack of Life Savers.

According to my Chilton's manual, they stopped that after '74 and the filter is in the carb behind the fuel inlet nut (75 - 89 carbureted engines). On fuel injected engines on 76 to 79 vehicles, except the Seville, the fuel filter is located in the engine compartment near the fuel pump.

On the 76 to 79 Seville, the fuel filter is located on the left side of the chassis, just ahead of the rear axle. It looks like a ball of fun to get to.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado Fleetwood
112 Posts
Oooh, one more thing!

If it's fuel injected, the fuel will be under pressure. Save your flesh and disconnect the battery and relieve the pressure before trying to replace the filter. Fuel sprinklers are only funny once.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Why not just follow the fuel line from the engine backwards. If you still cannot find it, a previous owner may have eliminated it for a different set-up. That is always fun.

Don

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oooh, one more thing!

If it's fuel injected, the fuel will be under pressure. Save your flesh and disconnect the battery and relieve the pressure before trying to replace the filter. Fuel sprinklers are only funny once.
If I do find this thing, and my guess was it was up under the fuel pump area where I can't see from above, but if I disconnect the battery, is there any else to be done to relieve the pressure?

This sounds like way to much of a hassle and possible risk, eventhough I don't know how old that filter in there is.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,982 Posts
Locate the fuel pressure service fitting on the fuel rail. It looks like a tire valve. Put a rag over it and bleed the fuel pressure. Just like letting air out of a tire. You'll get about an oz. or less of fuel out of it. The other method is to pull the fuel pump relay and crank the engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts