Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the fuel filter located and how do you release the pressure out of the fuel line?

p.s. You all have been so helpful and informative to me and my STS!!!!

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
ZO95STS said:
Where is the fuel filter located and how do you release the pressure out of the fuel line?

p.s. You all have been so helpful and informative to me and my STS!!!!
The fuel filter is located inline with the fuel line under the rocker panel of the front door, I think on the driver's side. You'll see it if you look under the car right by the door. Before you release the pressure, disconnect the battery to be safe and ensure no sources of ignition are present under the hood or in the work area. To release the pressure, remove the appearance cover from the top of the engine and locate the cap on the schrader valve at the end of the fuel rail that connects to all the injectors. Remove the cap. When I do this, I hold a rag around the valve and push the pin inward using a small screwdriver. The rag catches the very small amount of fuel that sprays out. Replace the cap and the appearance cover.

When you remove the fuel filter, be aware that the fuel that's still in the line on either side of the filter may very well spill out, as well as what's in the filter. That can amount to more fuel than you're expecting, so have something available to catch it or soak it up ASAP. Definitely want to extinguish any pilot lights, etc. in the garage before you do this - the vapors are what explode. Just be careful. It's one bolt to hold the filter in place and the connectors can be a little tricky, just be careful not to break them. Basically you just pull them away from the filter and then the connector detaches. Installation is the reverse of removal. Make sure the clips click into place on the new filter. Clean up whatever residual gas is left and you're done.

Let us know if you have any questions. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a little roughness in idle on a cold start, will changing the fuel filter also help with that? I've changed plugs and wires already. Is there anything else that I should consider that contributes to the cold start ruff idle?

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
ZO95STS said:
I have a little roughness in idle on a cold start, will changing the fuel filter also help with that? I've changed plugs and wires already. Is there anything else that I should consider that contributes to the cold start ruff idle?
If it runs fine as you accelerate, the fuel filter is probably not causing the idle issue. Have you cleaned the throttle body? If you use the Search feature above, you'll find the process described many times. It's very easy to do. When you say "rough idle," what exactly do you mean? Does it act like a cylinder or two is missing? Does the idle go up and down, above 900 RPMs or below 600? How about codes? Have you checked yet? Go to this post and retrieve the codes and post here. That will help us determine what's going on.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53635

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I change the fuel filter with no problems, thanks for info.

I cleaned the throttle body and she smoothed right on out.

Thanks again!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts