Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Kars III on since December with no issues, no wheelhop.....until last night went to the track with BFG drag radials, brand new clutch, bottle on and I'm sure you can figure out what happened next. Broken Diff #3. I'm all done with the getrag junk and going to a 9" set up similar to Madman Racing's so if anyone is interested in the KARS III let me know. It does drastically improve the wheelhop issue, just not in my situation 600+rwhp.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
I'm interested....how much?????

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this would be the second 06-07 that has been in my car, the first got very noisy and yes this one shattered as if it were a hand grenade.

Was it an 06-07 diff or an 04-05 dif? If its the 06-07 this will be the first one that blew up!

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, Black
2,165 Posts
Wow. Who was it in another thread that said just a day or two ago that "No 06-07 diff's have yet to be blown up." Definitely jynxed :canttalk:. Now I'm scared to go to the drag strip. I have KARS III as well...

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
Wow. Who was it in another thread that said just a day or two ago that "No 06-07 diff's have yet to be blown up." Definitely jynxed :canttalk:. Now I'm scared to go to the drag strip. I have KARS III as well...
:thepan:yep that was me

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,006 Posts
Well now we know the hp limits on these diffs ...

'04/'05 diff: ~400 hp max

'06/'07 diff: ~600 hp max

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that, with drag radials, you could blow an 'upgraded' diff at the track, even at stock power levels.

And I'd be willing to bet this isn't the first case of a blown 06/07 diff.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,006 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that, with drag radials, you could blow an 'upgraded' diff at the track, even at stock power levels.

And I'd be willing to bet this isn't the first case of a blown 06/07 diff.
You're probably right ... x 2.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
boom chicka wah wah :lock:

ROFL I laugh every time I see that banner

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
That was me that reported that this forum had not had any reported 06+ granaded-diff incidents. I can't say that any more, but this one should have an asterisk with it (IMHO) since it involved special facts, i.e. 600HP, new clutch, sticky tires, and a drag strip.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
That was me that reported that this forum had not had any reported 06+ granaded-diff incidents. I can't say that any more, but this one should have an asterisk with it (IMHO) since it involved special facts, i.e. 600HP, new clutch, sticky tires, and a drag strip.
I know the diff is different, but isnt the main reason that the 06-07 rears are better is due to the half shafts?

I have heard of 04-05 Vs blowing the "upgraded" 06-07 diffs, but have not heard of a 06-07 V blowing the rear.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I know the diff is different, but isnt the main reason that the 06-07 rears are better is due to the half shafts?

I have heard of 04-05 Vs blowing the "upgraded" 06-07 diffs, but have not heard of a 06-07 V blowing the rear.
I have not seen any reports "on this forum" of 06-07 differentials breaking the case until this one. That of course, does not mean that there haven't been any that were not reported on this forum. You are correct about the 2006-2007 Vs having better half shafts as well as redesigned differential cases. (My 2005 has the upgraded half shafts as well as a 2006 differential.)

In the case reported in this thread I think if the differential had not cratered something else probably would have. I say that because I suspect with 600 HP being fed to sticky tires through a good clutch you are approaching the "yield point" of our Tremecs, drive shafts, and early version half shafts.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
I have not seen any reports "on this forum" of 06-07 differentials breaking the case until this one. That of course, does not mean that there haven't been any that were not reported on this forum. You are correct about the 2006-2007 Vs having better half shafts as well as redesigned differential cases. (My 2005 has the upgraded half shafts as well as a 2006 differential.)

In the case reported in this thread I think if the differential had not cratered something else probably would have. I say that because I suspect with 600 HP being fed to sticky tires through a good clutch you are approaching the "yield point" of our Tremecs, drive shafts, and early version half shafts.
Was he putting 600 to the wheels? Either way, 500+rwhp with drag slicks/radials...something is gonna blow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts