Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been replacing the front wheel hub assembly on my 07 ESV and have run into a problem I am hoping someone can here can help me with. The lug/ in bearing were so badly worn that I am left with the base/out bearing assembly seized onto the truck. I have tried everything to get this out...hammers, mallets and even a bit of heat from a small propane torch and nothing....with how common these bearings fail, I am sure someone on this forum would have run into something similar to this at some point (especially in NE US states).
Any help you guys could provide to help me with this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike IMG_4765 (1).JPG

·
Registered
2008 ESV
12 Posts
From my experience, I take a good size ball peen style hammer ( not a dead blow or claw hammer) I smack it with great force from the face side toward the inside in a triangular pattern using the threaded portions as a reference point. I smack it on the edge of the bearing race because that's where it's froze. A ball peen (large one) will allow the vibration to crack away the rust. Good luck

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will give it a try, although I have tried a ball peen hammer, however I will try again, this time focusing on the points you mentioned!

Thanks for the help.

Mike

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
I will give it a try, although I have tried a ball peen hammer, however I will try again, this time focusing on the points you mentioned!

Thanks for the help.

Mike
If that doesn't work I'd probably try a chisel and small sledge after that at the corners where the bolts run through. I've never seen on that looked this bad. Wow!

·
Registered
2007 CTS, 2007 ESV
263 Posts
I had similar issues with my 07 ESV bearing gone at 80k. One side came off with some force the other side holy cow it took me a while. I took a chisel and put it between hub and went to town. I did mess up the brake shield a bit but I was able to hammer it out. Oh spray some liquid wrench as you hammer it works. Good luck.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade, 2009 CTS-V and 2006 GTO
69 Posts
Buy a used knuckle on ebay and save yourself some aggravation or heat the shit out of it and air hammer chisel it!

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
Propane won't produce enough heat, you should try some MAPP gas if you can be so lucky to find some.

·
Registered
2010 ESV Platinum WDT
189 Posts
Did you get it squared away?

I soak em in pb blaster overnight anytime I need to pluck the front hubs. Effortless removal every time.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
311 Posts
Did you get it squared away?

I soak em in pb blaster overnight anytime I need to pluck the front hubs. Effortless removal every time.
Ditto what emay said. I learned the hard way the first time I replaced a wheel hub assembly, spent all day hitting the crap out of it. Finally gave up and soaked it in pb blaster then left it overnight. First whack the next day and she broke loose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts