Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS-V Wagon 6M
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read everything I could find on the forums about front tire wear, and haven't seen anybody with this issue. Both of my front tires are wearing on the outer side, the right one worse than the left. The right tire is basically bald on the outer inch or so of tread, and the left isn't too far behind. I'd take it to the dealer, but the closest one is almost an hour away. Car is a 2014 V wagon with 8300 miles. It's my DD, almost all local streets at reasonable speeds. Occasionally I get on it in a straight line, but seldom take fast corners. I do have one low-speed very tight left-hand U-turn every day to reach my parking spot (and I'm on my second go-round with the clicking wheel issue, they "fixed" it once with the new bolts). My question is, why such extreme wear along the outer edge of the tread. The tires show 30 & 31 psi front and 33 & 34 psi rear. I've tried to use the Manage Attachments function to add a picture of each tire, but it doesn't show on the Preview Post, so you may have to take my word for it.

·
Registered
cts-v
71 Posts
You might have positive camber on your tires and would then require adjustments. Other thought may be that your TPMS is f'd up and I would suggest getting a second opinion with a pressure gauge.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Wagon-Raven Black, manual, satin graphite wheels
456 Posts
I always wear the outside edges pretty bad on mine but that is with quite a bit of auto crossing. I really need to try to dial in some camber, the factory spec doesn't call for much at all. I have found the RE-11's to wear less on the outer edge than the PS2s did though. The PS2s were terrible for wear on the outer edges. The R6s on track weren't really wearing the outer edge but more the whole outer half of the front tires. There was a significant different in the depth of the outer groove compared to the inner groove.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,299 Posts
I've read everything I could find on the forums about front tire wear, and haven't seen anybody with this issue. Both of my front tires are wearing on the outer side, the right one worse than the left. The right tire is basically bald on the outer inch or so of tread, and the left isn't too far behind. I'd take it to the dealer, but the closest one is almost an hour away. Car is a 2014 V wagon with 8300 miles. It's my DD, almost all local streets at reasonable speeds. Occasionally I get on it in a straight line, but seldom take fast corners. I do have one low-speed very tight left-hand U-turn every day to reach my parking spot (and I'm on my second go-round with the clicking wheel issue, they "fixed" it once with the new bolts). My question is, why such extreme wear along the outer edge of the tread. The tires show 30 & 31 psi front and 33 & 34 psi rear.
What tires are you running - still the stock ones, or something else? What are your alignment specs? Have you tried different tire pressures?

I've tried to use the Manage Attachments function to add a picture of each tire, but it doesn't show on the Preview Post, so you may have to take my word for it.
Have you attached pictures on the site before? If so, you may be at the limit for what you're allowed to attach - you can only go up to 1.9MB, which doesn't take many pictures if you're posting a decent sized JPG. Click on "Settings" in the upper right of the site, then on the left side menu under "Miscellaneous" click on "Attachments". That will let you delete old attachments to free up space (if that's the issue).

·
Registered
CTS-V 2011
155 Posts
I have the same problem. I asked the dealer to check my alignment and he said that it is common. He said it is due to the aggressive suspension setup. But I have talked to other owners and they do not experience the problem. I am getting ready to get new tires and will probably get an alignment, not at the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,299 Posts
I have the same problem. I asked the dealer to check my alignment and he said that it is common. He said it is due to the aggressive suspension setup.
Translation: "I don't know why it's doing that, so I'll explain it away as something that's common on a high performance vehicle, even though that explanation makes absolutely ZERO sense." :rolleyes:

I am getting ready to get new tires and will probably get an alignment, not at the dealer.
Sounds like a good idea. Wherever you take it, make sure you give them actual numbers you want the car aligned to, and that you get the "before/after" print-out so you can see they did what you asked them to do.

I'm guessing that both you and jonmarchant have an alignment issue - not enough negative camber and/or the toe is off. There is enough slop in the factory alignment specifications that something can be "in spec" and yet the alignment can still be suboptimal and cause abnormal tire wear.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Performance, 2013 CTS-V
504 Posts
I had a BMW 540i that had the same tire wear. When I checked on it they said that was how the tires should wear. Supposedly that was how BMW set up the alignment for the best handling.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,100 Posts
Have you ever seen a F1 car from head on? that is how they are set up. But that is for a very specific reason. Our cars are daily drivers and I don't believe we should have premature tire wear like Jon is discussing.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,299 Posts
I had a BMW 540i that had the same tire wear. When I checked on it they said that was how the tires should wear. Supposedly that was how BMW set up the alignment for the best handling.
Good to know that BMW service folks will tell customers the same BS that Cadillac service folks will! :lol: (See my translation above for what setherman5000 was told by the Cadillac dealer.) There's nothing about "best handling" or "aggressive suspension setup" that should cause uneven wear on the outer shoulders or outer section of tread.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,100 Posts
Good to know that BMW service folks will tell customers the same BS that Cadillac service folks will! :lol:
You nailed it. BS is a universal language!

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Yeah, not normal. I've had very, very aggressive alignments with little wear issue...

·
Registered
2007 Thunder Gray CTS-V
42 Posts
too much positive toe (toe in). Aggresive alignments translates to more negative camber and as much positive caster as possible. With a -V you are limitied on increasing caster much because you have no adjustment of the upper A arm. Look for worn ball joints and worn tie rod ends too.

Cross caster could cause it, but you would also have to be using steering input to keep the car in the center of the lane.

A minor possiblity is rear thrust angle out, bu if it were way off you would complain about the the car pushing in one direction and you would see the inside wear on one tire and the outside on the other.

There's no place to do something like camnber plates on this suspension design.

So, if you are wearing the OUTSIDE then too much toe is the answer. I don't think there is enough adjustmnet to get positive camber on these cars., but you can have too much positive toe.

·
Registered
2014 CTS-V Wagon 6M
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I stopped by my favorite tire place, who service a couple of dozen CTS-Vs of one style or another as well as all kinds of special-interest, racing, and antique vehicles, and the boss man says all of the ones they see do the same thing. Lots of other high-performance cars do it too. Part of the problem is that in our area there are lots of hills and curvy roads. He also said to try making the daily U-turn to the right instead of the left, which will at least even out the wear on the tires. He says that the tires will still last longer than I had feared. I guess I'll just keep an eye it.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
As for the numbers you want, has anyone had this adjusted out and if so what numbers did you order up for the alignment machine?

·
Registered
2009 & 2016 CTS-V
182 Posts
Hi,

You're running more PSI in the back? I'd recommend taking your fronts from 30 to 36-38 PSI. I run 38 in the front and it's helped this issue and also resulted in 15k of life on my 2nd set versus 13k of life on my 1st set of PS2's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Happened on both my old BMW 540 and M5. I asked once (not the dealer, just the tire shop) and they said that's normal in heavy cars that are driven aggressively... it's just result of the tires keeping your understeer in check (plowing through a corner) Now that I've mellowed my driving and don't going out searching for twisty roads every weekend, I don't have that problem. We'll see on the CTS-V since searching for twisty roads is exactly what I've been doing since I bought it. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts