Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my '06 SRX V8 since almost new. The front tires wear on the outer edges very badly - too much positive camber. The dealer says the alignment is within spec. Firestone says the same. I say so what! There evidently is not enough camber adjustment built in to the design. I told the dealer they should sell these cars with a disclaimer about tires and wear! Now, with 50k miles, the second set is ready to be replaced. The second pair are Bridgestones while the 1st pair were the Michelin's. Both last a max of 25k. Rears replaced at 35k.

Anyone else have issues with front tire wear? Was it helped or cured by using the 255's on all 4 corners and rotating?

PS - pads and rotors replaced at 30k, wter pump replaced, idler pulley replaced - what next?

Thx, Gary

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
34 Posts
Hmmm...I just purchased an '04 V8 AWD that has noticable wear on the inside (indication of excessive negative camber). It also has 255's on all four corners...

·
Registered
2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours
514 Posts
Our 2005 N*V8 SRX RWD came with Michelin Pilots: F-235/60-18, R-255/55-18. We had alignment done by dealer @ 2K; again @ 12K by independent. We experienced too rapid front tire wear with the 235s, ie both inside & outside ~ smooth at 20K and yet good tread in middle. Rear tires were "normal" with even wear.
We - against dealers advice - switched F>R & R>F to test the 255s in front; we found that we had no noticable differences in turning or other handling for 8K miles except that the 255s did not show any noticable edge wear like the 235s did after 8K miles; we could have retained the 255s for a while, but optioned to replace all 4.
We replaced all 4 tires with Michelin 255/55-18 XSE MXV4 Energy (50 K warranty) after looking GY-RE, Goodrich, Toyo, several Michelin types and talking to many including this forum and tire rack, etc. No doubt, Michelins cost more!!
We have ~ 2K miles on the new ones and have zero complaints. (We cannot comment on snow in Sou Cal)
NOTE: We found that quite a few tire shops would NOT replace all 4 with 255s based on "their book requirements"
Good luck with what ever you decide.
ps: We replaced our GoodYear RS-A on our '99 DeVille after ~40K with Michelin Primacy, not avail in 255/55-18

·
Registered
2006 SRX V8
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for your reply. I think I'll be doing all 4 with 255's. It appears to be a rim width/tire combo/geometry disaster by Cadillac engineers. It is next to impossible to get the dealer to admit to anything so I'll go my own way ... just like many others have done on this issue.

Thx, G

·
Registered
2006 SRX
1 Posts
Wow! I am glad I joined this forum. I own a 2006 SRX V6 not a V8.
Bought from first owner less than 8,000 miles. Recently noticed bad outer
edge wear on front tires. Tires are original Michelin Pilot HX MXM4's.

Fronts are P235/60R18 and Rears are P255/55R18's. I have 26,523 miles on these tires. Have seen on internet where customers have gotten as much as 50,000 miles from these same tires. Not on Cadillac SRX however.

Dealer said it was aligment problem. Got tires aligned. I thought service guy said it was a tie rod problem on one side. And when tires were rotated (SRX style) LT Front to RT Front and LT Back to RT Back since tires are different sizes on front and back so normal rotation can not be done. The bad tie rod got the other tire to wear out it's edge. Not too sure about this explanation.
I think NASCAR cars have tie rods not sure about Cadillac SRX's.

Anyway, saw GLK's story about the "too much positive camber" problem sounds more plausible. However like him I am not sure what to do. These original Michelin tires are very exspensive. Should have gotten at least 50,000miles. However no choice. The fronts have to go.

I did see on the internet where alot of folks have gone to same size tires on the SRX. Which does get the tires back to a normal rotation pattern.
But if there is a problem with the tie rod or positive camber I am not sure this would help at all.

Why did Cadillac put different size tires on this car?

Would it be dangerous to go to same size tires?

And last does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this problem?

Any suggestion on brand make and size of tire that might do well on a 2006 SRX?

I do know I am not going to put a lot of money in next set of tires. At least the fronts. Until I see where this is going. This could potentially be a sell the car issue.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Buzz

·
Registered
2005 SRX N*V8 RWD; 1999 DeVille Concours
514 Posts
FYI. Will try to attach my computerized alignment report after installing Michelin Energy tires in Fullerton, CA.
This dealer would install 255/55-18 all around, but also stongly suggested that he do a 4 wheel alignment with his system to ensure correct wearing of the new tires.
The data does not look like the before was off much, but his alignment system "gauge" showed that tires would wear rapidly before the alignment. Draw your own conclusions, but the $80 price to align seemed to provide reasonable insurance to validate the 50 K mile warranty.

I had to rescan report to la ow resolution and crop to fit this site, but see attached for the tire dealers specs as well as my before & after alignment data: SRX, 2005, FE1 & FE3 suspension; 5/2/2009

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts