Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on getting rid of a clunking noise in the suspension of my SRX. At this point I think it may be the sway bar insulators. I purchased new front and rear insulators. The rears were easy to replace, took about 30 minutes. I could not do the fronts. The access to the nuts is so tight. Anyone here replaced the insulators themselves? If you have, any words of wisdom to help me get to the bolts? Thanks.

·
Registered
SRX
104 Posts
I can't tell you how to do it, but I've been looking and pondering mine as well. I think I can get to the bolts with a variety of extensions and u-joints. It will probably be a few weeks before I give it a go. If you get it done, please post here how you did it and how it went!! I've been struggling to find good do it yourself help online with the SRX, most SRX drivers, just say "hope you have the extended warranty, take it to the dealer." That goes against my nature.. :)

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the "hope you have an extended warranty doesn't work for me either:D I was able to remove the nut on the passenger side bracket towards the rear. The front bracket nut looks like it would have to be removed from up top through the engine compartment. I didn't have a long enough extension to reach it. The drivers side looks like the big problem. There are some "lines" (not sure if they are for the air conditioning) that run right above the front bolt. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

Thought I would mention that I have the service DVD. The instructions for removing the insulators simply says, Jack up the car, remove the bolts and then remove the bracket and insulator. Not much help.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update on the insulators. I finally got them changed.

Right side, the front bolt was removed from the engine compartment. I had to use 2 extensions on my socket to reach the front bolt. The back bolt come out slowly with a box wrench.

Left side was more of a problem. The rear bolt come out with a box wrench. The front one required loosening the brake line that runs over the bolt and push it just far enough out of the way to get a socket on the bolt. Then, about 1/2 an hour of turning the socket about 1/4 of a turn each time (no room to work in) finally got it out.

The bottom line is the new insulators are in both front and rear. The result. No noise from the rear, but I still have a clunk in the front. It is much better now, but something is still moving and hitting when going over sharp bumps. I may be giving up on finding the last culprit. The car rides very well at this point and I think I will leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
johns12.......I had the exact same problem at 27,000 miles, but the replacement of the front sway bar insulators completely eliminated the front end clunk. The racket was coming from the drivers' side (left) front; but both left and right side insulators were replaced. Clunk only occurred driving on imperfectly paved side roads.

The clunking started to return a couple of months ago at 46,000 miles, this time in the right front area of the suspension. I assumed the insulators went bad again. I was going to have that ironed out at the dealer later this month since my SRX is still under warranty.

Meanwhile.......this past week I had my private mechanic do a brake rotor and brake pad replacement......it was time. When I got the SRX back, the front end clunking noise had disappeared. The SRX had clunked over the imperfect roads whether or not I was applying the brakes, just like the first incident 23,000 miles ago.

I'd suggest you thoroughly check the front brake assemblies if for no other reason than to eliminate some possible causes for the clunk.

PJ

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
johns12.......I had the exact same problem at 27,000 miles, but the replacement of the front sway bar insulators completely eliminated the front end clunk. The racket was coming from the drivers' side (left) front; but both left and right side insulators were replaced. Clunk only occurred driving on imperfectly paved side roads.

The clunking started to return a couple of months ago at 46,000 miles, this time in the right front area of the suspension. I assumed the insulators went bad again. I was going to have that ironed out at the dealer later this month since my SRX is still under warranty.

Meanwhile.......this past week I had my private mechanic do a brake rotor and brake pad replacement......it was time. When I got the SRX back, the front end clunking noise had disappeared. The SRX had clunked over the imperfect roads whether or not I was applying the brakes, just like the first incident 23,000 miles ago.

I'd suggest you thoroughly check the front brake assemblies if for no other reason than to eliminate some possible causes for the clunk.

PJ
The problem is, I have replaced, the front brakes, rotors, pads, and calipers. All are new. The clunking sounds like it's coming from around where my right foot is (gas pedal), except, of course, further towards the front of the car. After all the work I have done, the only thing I can think of is the power steering rack. The steering feels great and the highway on center feel is very good. I just don't know. My wife has no problems with the clunking as it is. It annoys me, but I might just have to live with it. I don't want to spend any more money or time on it. If I have a revelation as to exactly what it may be, I might get back under the car, but for now, enough.:helpless:

·
Registered
Cadillac SRX
2 Posts
Had a clunk whenever I went over any type of bump on my 07. Dealer replaced the left front lower control arm under warranty. Clunk disappeared.

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
A few weeks back a new front end clunk emerged, going over bumps, right front. Was going to take it in to the dealer to sort out but put it off. My local mechanic replaced the pads and rotors and bingo, the clunk was gone. Someone posted elsewhere that there was a TSB for loose brake calipers.

PJ

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the last 5 months, this is the list of items that have been replaced on the front end:
1. Rotors
2. Pads
3. Calipers
4. Both upper control arms
5. Shocks
6. Left lower control arm
7. Sway bar end links
8. Sway bar insulators

The front end was noisy, creaking and clunking. It now is down to one clunk. I can't isolate where it's coming from (left or right side). I have checked the engine cradle bolts and they seem ok. My only thoughts left are either the right lower control arm, steering rack (the steering feels fine), or motor mount (the engine feels fine with no strange movement on acceleration.

I have done all the work myself which has saved me a considerable amount of money. I have thought about just putting in a new lower control arm and see what happens. It's just a lot of work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts