Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Escalade, 2007 DTS
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 DTS (Lux I) just hit 90,000 miles on the factory front struts, and I suspect it's time for replacement. They don't appear to be leaking, but they're definitely pretty rusty looking and I think the front end feels a bit more floaty than I remember it. Looks like a fairly straightforward DIY job (I am reasonably mechanically inclined) so I was looking at options for complete loaded assemblies on RockAuto and I am not sure what brand to go with...

FCS came up as the cheapest option @$127 (Canadian) followed by Monroe, Gabriel & KYB all around the $180-190 mark, and finally AC Delco Professional at $206.

I googled FCS and they seem to have pretty positive reviews, so I am kinda leaning that way since it'd save me about $120, but I do plan on keeping the car around awhile longer so I want something that'll last and give me a proper Cadillac ride.

For those of you running replacement struts, what did you choose and how have they held up?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,016 Posts
Go with the correct AC Delco struts and mounts with Monroe as a second choice. You will regret going cheap - big time.

basscatt is the Deville/DTS suspension guru.

Your suspension code is on the sticker under the spare tire cover. FE1 is the less expensive soft, passive spring/suspension. FE3/F55 is the expensive active "sport" suspension.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,432 Posts
I second Sub's comment. Monroes on both of my cars. If you have the FE3/F55, be prepared to open your wallet very deep.

·
Registered
DTS '06 Lux II + Sunroof
21 Posts
My 2007 DTS (Lux I) just hit 90,000 miles on the factory front struts, and I suspect it's time for replacement. They don't appear to be leaking, but they're definitely pretty rusty looking and I think the front end feels a bit more floaty than I remember it. Looks like a fairly straightforward DIY job (I am reasonably mechanically inclined) so I was looking at options for complete loaded assemblies on RockAuto and I am not sure what brand to go with...

FCS came up as the cheapest option @$127 (Canadian) followed by Monroe, Gabriel & KYB all around the $180-190 mark, and finally AC Delco Professional at $206.

I googled FCS and they seem to have pretty positive reviews, so I am kinda leaning that way since it'd save me about $120, but I do plan on keeping the car around awhile longer so I want something that'll last and give me a proper Cadillac ride.

For those of you running replacement struts, what did you choose and how have they held up?
I've purchased my replacements from AutoShack just a few weeks ago and I'm quite pleased with what I got for the price I've paid. They're slightly stiffer, a wee bit higher but not clunky and, most important, the ride feels good again. Also, I paid the extra 30$ for the lifetime warranty (One-time replacement) .Note: I have an FE1 suspension.

If you decide to do the job yourself, the torque specs are 44lbs-foot for the 3 upper strut mount bolts and 108lbs-foot for the 2 strut-to-knuckle bolts. I would recommend purchasing a tube of blue thread locker at your local Princess Auto or Home Depot (I used Permatex). Also, I strongly advise using jack stands in tandem with your floor jack for safety.

If you need to replace one of your strut-to-knuckle bolts, you'll find replacements at your local scrapyard for cheap. Just look for any GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave/Chevy Traverse/Saturn Outlook as they use the same bolts & nuts. You can also ask for part #14087888 at a GM dealership, should cost about 25$ per bolt.

·
Registered
2006 Escalade, 2007 DTS
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. My car is FE1, so at least I've got that going for me.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,337 Posts
When working properly the performance mag ride is awesome. smooth in the city and perfect for the highway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts