Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Seville STS, 2004 Deville DHS
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking to replace the front strut of the Deville that I have - the ones that are there do not do too much in the way of damping.

However, buying a complete strut-spring-bearing assembly is only nominally more expensive than just the strut (given that I do my own labor, but would prefer not to disassemble the strut). Has anyone tried the Monroe part# 171685, and can say if the springs feel about the same as the OEM FE1 springs?

·
Registered
2005 Deville
139 Posts
I used the monroe quick strut complete assemblies on my 95 lesabre the first time i did struts, which was one of the first jobs I did... When time came to replace them on my 05 deville I opted to go with monroe quick struts again. Personally I like to replace everything while I am in there if the cost isn't too much more. I have been pleased with the quality and it makes the job a lot easier, and you wont have to deal with compressing the spring at all. See what others say, but I like them, and for someone who was clueless going into the task it was pretty easy aside from the seized up bolts on the 95. get some pb blaster, works well for under 5 bucks a can.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
You should be fine where you are, but in the rust belt, aftermarket springs, including those used by Monroe, have a tendency to rust and eventually break - unlike the factory springs which were quite corrosion resistant and generally good for the life of the vehicle.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I'm thinking to replace the front strut of the Deville that I have - the ones that are there do not do too much in the way of damping.

However, buying a complete strut-spring-bearing assembly is only nominally more expensive than just the strut (given that I do my own labor, but would prefer not to disassemble the strut). Has anyone tried the Monroe part# 171685, and can say if the springs feel about the same as the OEM FE1 springs?
------------------------
the Monroe 171685 is an EXCELLENT choice -

and for $106.40 with free shipping - it's an easy choice to make -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0027TX88I/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

·
Registered
2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd
436 Posts
I'm thinking of replacing my base Deville struts/springs with DHS ones when the time comes because I'm tired of feeling every road imperfection and I can't reach the rattle in the dash.

What else is different--the bushings, the dohicky that connects the strut at the top? Where are y'all finding the right part numbers?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I'm thinking of replacing my base Deville struts/springs with DHS ones when the time comes because I'm tired of feeling every road imperfection and I can't reach the rattle in the dash.

What else is different--the bushings, the dohicky that connects the strut at the top? Where are y'all finding the right part numbers?
----------------------
I'm thinking of replacing my base Deville struts/springs with DHS ones

the base Deville and DHS model Deville share the same suspension -

both use the same springs and struts - bushings -
and the dohicky that connects the strut at the top -
the rear springs and shocks are also the same -

Monroe brand struts and shocks are an EXCELLENT replacement choice -

for your 04 base Deville -
Monroe 181685 is a complete strut assembly -
new strut/spring/bearing plate/ all pre-assembled -
just unbolt the old one - and bolt the new one in -

the best price today is $81.00 each with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Z1J8HG/?ie=UTF8&me=A1ATZ3MAARQNEF

the rear shocks would be
Monroe MA822 - $56.36 for the entire kit - both rear shocks - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000C55T7W/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Where are y'all finding the right part numbers?
well - that's a tightly guarded secrete - :shhh:
and if I told ya -:tisk: I'd have to kill ya - :gun:

:histeric:

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
ral1960 said:
I'm thinking of replacing my base Deville struts/springs with DHS ones when the time comes
As basscatt posted, the base Deville share the same exact suspension components. This was gone over briefly in reply to your post on the DTS forums.

I'm tired of feeling every road imperfection and I can't reach the rattle in the dash.
Feeling every road imperfection? In a Deville?! If the Deville has your idea of a harsh ride, perhaps you should consider a Citroen DS.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd
436 Posts
I'd have sworn I read when they were new that there was a difference. I've driven some that seemed softer than mine---perhaps the dealer had let air out of the tires. The ride isn't harsh, but it's far from the Cadillac ride of yore. We have a lot of cement joints, tar strips, and manhole covers here, and the asphalt ripples at stoplights.

·
Registered
03 DHS, 2008 DTS
148 Posts
basscatt;3210209 [B said:
for your 04 base Deville -
Monroe 181685 is a complete strut assembly [/B]-
Basscatt this Monroe part number (181685) is for the Econo-Matic complete strut assembly and the (171685) is for the Quick-strut assembly. the econo-matic is about half the price of the quick-strut at least from rockauto. So my question is, what is the difference between them? I have been searching and researching on them for a while since I will be changing mine this summer. When I went to Monroe's website and checked the specifications, they were identical but Monroe claims the Quick-strut is premium part (whatever that means).
Does anyone have experience with the Econo-matic and the Quick-strut so they can compare? From my location because of shipping if I buy struts from rockauto the shipping is huge close to the cost of buying both struts. And buying from local stores here is forbidden since each quick-strut is about $284.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
The economatic is designed to mimic the original ride characteristics. The "premium" Quick-Strut uses a Sensa-Track strut, which is designed to be slightly softer under normal road/driving conditions, but acts similar to the standard strut under harder cornering or large bumps.

Neither is "better" as far as build quality goes, they just provide a different ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts