Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ELR Black/Auto
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We can put a man on the moon, cars that park themselves, create lame pop stars like Spears and Simpson, and build a Cadillac that kicks a$$ and takes names, but GM hasn't figured out how to put the same bumper sensors onto the front air dam so we don't hit those damn curbs! Someone explain this to me???? No, I haven't hit one yet, but it is a pain trying to figure out the distance/height as I'm parking... :banghead:

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (MG9)
280 Posts
The rear sensors are only active in Reverse... so unless you had a separate switch when in forward for front ones then they wouldn't be much use. Front ultrasonic sensors would be 'beeping' all the time with everything that crosses the front. Also, the sensors would have to be quite low, to detect low objects like curbs, making them quite susceptible to dirt/debris and affecting their accuracy.
The good news is that unlike the '04-'07 CTS-V front bumper, the '09 CTS-V has a separate molded black plastic bottom (3 piece) black section that protrudes slightly in front of the bumper. These can be replaced without having to change/repair/paint the whole bumper.

·
Registered
2014 ELR Black/Auto
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear sensors are only active in Reverse... so unless you had a separate switch when in forward for front ones then they wouldn't be much use. Front ultrasonic sensors would be 'beeping' all the time with everything that crosses the front. Also, the sensors would have to be quite low, to detect low objects like curbs, making them quite susceptible to dirt/debris and affecting their accuracy.
The good news is that unlike the '04-'07 CTS-V front bumper, the '09 CTS-V has a separate molded black plastic bottom (3 piece) black section that protrudes slightly in front of the bumper. These can be replaced without having to change/repair/paint the whole bumper.
Good points. How about using low intensity horizontally aimed laser sensors?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,091 Posts
Front sensors are available aftermarket but they are a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V, Radiant silver, Loaded, Auto
455 Posts
they did, they come with you, they're called eyeballs. Give it time, be conservative at first and park away from the curb and take note how far you are then bring it in from there. I have been driving F-bodies ever since I have been able to drive and those are a beyotch to park since the front right side is so blind. Got it now though. just tilt your mirror down and look @ the curb.

·
Registered
None
143 Posts
Numerous higher end cars have front sensors now a days so any of the limitations listed above they've obviously come over it. One example Aston Martin Vantage. There are others but that one i know off the top of my head.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (MG9)
280 Posts
Numerous higher end cars have front sensors now a days so any of the limitations listed above they've obviously come over it. One example Aston Martin Vantage. There are others but that one i know off the top of my head.
Yes, and they have their inherent flaws as well. You still have to trigger them to be active and they can miss low objects if you don't activate them too close to a low object. These sensors are primarily intended for other vehicle bumpers and parking garage walls.
As you may well know, all of these devices are not fail proof. There are many glass repair shops fixing rear glass/hatch on vehicles equiped with back-up cameras. The people driving these cars with the cameras forget that you should still look behind you for low overhanging objects that are NOT detected by the camera.

Btw, the Aston Martin is a very nice car and I would love to own one! Now having said that, for that price ($$$), when I press the button for the front sensor, there should be a little midget with the voice of Herve Jean Pierre Villechaize (Tattoo of Fantasy Island) come popping out of the trunk and tell me how close I am to the curb! *De Curb, De Curb!!*

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
You could always just get a DTS. They have front sensors so the old guy won't rub the car next to him as he parks while he can barely see over the steering wheel.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS-V Radiant Silver
867 Posts
You could always just get a DTS. They have front sensors so the old guy won't rub the car next to him as he parks while he can barely see over the steering wheel.

I remember my Father once told me, "soon you will be the one the kids are pointing at and making fun of you."

So, that said, why be an ass?

I am old, why pick on me?

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts

I remember my Father once told me, "soon you will be the one the kids are pointing at and making fun of you."

So, that said, why be an ass?

I am old, why pick on me?
No offense intended. We will all hopefully make it to be the old guy. Once I get to that age I expect to be that guy rubbing bumpers. It is just part of life.

·
Registered
2014 ELR Black/Auto
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No offense intended. We will all hopefully make it to be the old guy. Once I get to that age I expect to be that guy rubbing bumpers. It is just part of life.
None taken. My eyeballs will calibrate soon enough, but my wife is another story... :helpless:

That front mount camera is interesting. Manually activated?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts