Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 DTS Luxury II
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have a 2007 DTS Luxury II. My Honey is the primary driver of the car. She has a number of medical conditions that make trips of any length (even across town) a challenge at times. On trips, I drive and she rides in the front passenger seat. As time goes by, we've found that each trip seems to be a bit more difficult for her to manage than the previous trip. As it is, we probably average stopping to get out and move around no more than every 30 miles.

Last week we took a trip out of state that was about 170 miles each way. It took us about 4 hours to make the trip. That ride basically beat her up. She said natural movement of her upper body against the bolsters caused her a lot of pain in her arms and ribs. She had more pain from the bottom of the seat than she's had in the past. The seat cushion is just too hard for her. (Our DTS has heated and ventilated seats.)

One thing we've noticed is that the passenger seat cushion is considerably harder than the driver's seat, probably just from being used less. The car has 90,000 miles on it, the majority of which were with only the driver onboard. While she still can't handle the driver's seat for very long, it is much easier to deal with than the passenger seat.

The issue is not adjustments, etc. It is more a situation where there are medical conditions that overpower seat adjustments as long as the seat cushions are too hard. If the seat "wraps" around her, as with sport seat bolsters, she cannot stand it.

I've searched this forum for an answer, but have not found it, yet. Was there a softer seat option available for the 2007 DTS (softer than the Luxury II seat)? Barring that, were the seats from any other Cadillac version compatible? If there was another option available, I am considering the possibility of perhaps finding a set of used front seats and installing them, provided I could find a set in similar condition that matched the colors, etc.

Over the weekend, we took a short ride in a 1979 Lincoln Town Car (boat) that belonged to another person. My Honey could have stayed in that seat forever, she thought. Nothing squeezed her and the bottom had enough padding that her hips didn't start hurting immediately. Of course, we all know those seats are out of the question for a DTS. One can wish, though. :)

Any ideas? We are not young any more and need to make a change if we can.

Thanks for the input.

Bookman

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I would go to upholstery shop and ask them... Bet they can rebuild seats softer. Short of that you may want to consider an older larger softer riding car with more interior room for her or at least a different upright position better suited for her. . People knock old bench seats but man are they comfy. I rebuilt a bench seat with extra springs and padding many years ago and that rode better than any vehicle I've driven(and it was a truck). Best of luck smoothing the ride out for her... And welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Yup. An upholstery shop can remake the cushion out of softer foam, implement memory foam, even reduce/remove the bolstering.

·
Registered
2007 DTS Luxury II
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...you may want to consider an older larger softer riding car with more interior room for her or at least a different upright position better suited for her. . People knock old bench seats but man are they comfy...
I know what you mean. Back in another era, we had, at different times, a 1968 DeVille 2dr HT, a 1968 DeVille 4dr HT, a 1973 Lincoln Continental Town Car, and a 1974 Buick Electra 225. Later, we had a 1999 Lincoln Town Car that we traded in on the current DTS. My Honey's condition has worsened since the 1999 TC days, but I can't help but think she would have better luck today with seats built more like the ones in that car.

Yup. An upholstery shop can remake the cushion out of softer foam, implement memory foam, even reduce/remove the bolstering.
I'll give a shop a call. I know of one that I contacted about doing a headliner in my Jag XJ8. He specializes in upholstery in high end cars - often in cars much more expensive than either my current cars. He could probably do something to improve those seats.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I can't help but think she would have better luck today with seats built more like the ones in that car.
You're not going to beat the ride in those older land yatchs in anything made now or in recent history. If nothing else in pure room to strecth out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts