Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

2007 Escalade ESV, out of warranty with 59k

Both driver and passenger seats abruptly stopped heating or cooling. My daughter mentioned my wife and she smelled something burning about the same time. they noticed it.

I've located the MSM (memory seat module) under the passenger seat. I removed it and inspected the circuit board and the connectors. All looks good!

The service manual references Heated Seats 30amp fuse in the wiring diagram, but does not list a block# for it, and I cannot find it.

Any suggestions?

Tim in Fairfax, VA

·
Registered
602 Posts
Did you check the connectors fpr the climate control seat module? It's the bigger connector. Inspect the ground wire For a burned terminal. The module is under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rechecked the the large connectors wiring for burnt wire or conenctors, and everythring is good. Also tested with car running connector to ground, and +12volts power. Both correct.

Any more idea's?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick Update thanks to warmer weather

I removed the passenger seat and discovered the fans are working. I also located a Motorola control unit bolted ot the underside of the seat. When I pulled the power connectors, I discovered a semi-melted ground connector. The circuit board appears ok, with no discoloration or evidence of burnt components, so I am going to clean the ground connectors and reattached, hoping it will work. If so, then I will repeat the same on the drivers side.

·
Registered
602 Posts
That module is the climate control seat module. There is only one under the passenger seat. There is not one under the driver's seat. Repairing the ground terminal should fix both seat heaters/coolers.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cadmanchris,

Thanks for saving me from removing the drivers seat. Even with the service manual and various on-line parts catalougs identifying the various modules under the seats is challanging.

One thing a bit odd, It was a 12v plus power wire, not a black ground that had burnt/melted, not the black ground.

Going out to test the drivers seat heat now!

Tim in Fairfax, VA

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My seat heater problems continue....

Does anyone have a solution as to how I can repair or replace the connector block that connects to the climate control module under the passenger seat of my 2007 ESV?

The +12V side at the wiring harness connector which plugs into the climate control module under the passenger seat has partially melted, preventing the connectors from maintaining a secure connection.The connector plastic around the 12V wire and balde connector has turned black and is brittle. From what I can see, it really looks like a manufacturing design flaw which allows the connector to overheat in this area. I do not see any way to bypass the power around the connector.

I'm open to suggestions, as my ESV is at 59k and out of warranty.

Thanks

Tim in Fairfax

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. Although it was only the ground (black wire) connector that was burnt. I pulled off the module opened it up, checked the circuit board for damage, cleaned the terminals and tightened the connector with a pic, put it back together and works fine...thanks to cadmanchris. Unfortunately yours maybe burnt beyond repair.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I did the same to mine, but you may need a replacement terminal or maybe the pigtail itself. My connector was melted but I managed to clean it up and it still works fine.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I believe you can go to the GM parts counter and they can identify what terminals and plug housing you have . The dealer I went to did this for my heated/cooled cupholder project . He didn't have the plug , but had the terminals , he also allowed me to find the plug I needed on a warranty harness they were returning to GM. Good Luck !! My gal would be lost without that butt warmer !!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
has anyone had Cadillac acknowledge the problem with the overheating wires and connectors for out of warranty Escalades?

My dealer has told me they have to inspect it, and then I can call Cadillac to register a complaint. I do not want to have to pay the dealer to simply document the problem.

Has anyone had it fixed out of warranty by cadillac for free?

Thanks
07 ESV 59k and out of warranty
Tim in Fairfax, VA

·
Registered
234 Posts
How long should it take to cool and heat seats? Mine cools but takes forever. Andi just tried to heat my seats but it seamed to turn off as soon as I turned it on(the screen sign stays on but the sounds of it powering up turn off)could this have something to do with the outside temp(its kind of warm right now). Im also unable to get my heated steering wheel to turn on, no light or anything.

Im still under warranty so I was going to take it in to get an outside handle fixed and get every thing checked out but didnt want to sound dumn if thats normal not to turn on warm days

Thanks

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Is this module accessible with the seat still in the truck by chance? My heated and cooled seats are inoperative but my primary junction connector on the floor is just fine. Which means it must be the connection at the module that has burnt up. You would think GM would have done this right to begin with or address it with a recall as overheating parts are never good for safety. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To access the module is fairly easy. You just need to a couple of trim pieces and remove the 4 bolts that hold the passenger seat assembly to the floor.
You can tilt the seat back against the rear passenger seat to gain access to the seat climate control module, which is mounted on the underside of the seat pan.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Alright, I fixed this tonight finally. I actually didn't have to remove the seat, and if I'd had to, I don't even have whatever the hell size of Torx bolt (I assume that's what it is) they are attached to the floor with.

What I ended up doing was moving the seat all the way back on the track, then tilting the seat bottom back as far as it would go. This gave me just enough clearance to be able to remove the connector from the suspect module and inspect it... sure enough, the cable end of the connection was burnt and melted (and yet ANOTHER black module (this one was grey) further back ALSO had the red wire with burn damage, but it didn't seem to be the problem connection, so there are MULTIPLE places where this can fail). I played around with it and based on all of the previous posts here I figured that the problem wasn't that anything was damaged, but rather than the pins were no longer making a solid connection to the red and white wire on the connector side. If I pulled the connector out just slightly, the heat AND cool worked just fine. So in the end I just ghetto-rigged it and figured my first line of defense would simply be to slightly bend the pin one direction or the other. Plugged the connector back in, hit the switch and voila... everything works! I don't know how long it will hold up, but I know exactly where the problem is now if it fails again.

This is a HORRIBLE design on GM's part. It surprises me that so much attention was paid to overheating of the heated washer module, whilst nothing has been brought to bear about this. Considering how close these connections are to VERY flammable parts, it will only be a matter of time before one of us ends up with a crispy truck. Pretty sure I smelled a little bit of a burning smell while I was using the passenger heated seat... bad dog GM, bad dog!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had this happen to my 2007 ESV. Heated and cooled seats stopped working, pulled connector on climate control module under front passenger seat, both black and red power wires melted the plug so bad it was unusable. Here are the part numbers if anyone wants to order just the plug and terminals. It was a quick fix and as long as the module is still OK, it costs under 10 bucks. I went to Mouser.com for the parts.

Female Connector: Delphi # 15326110
Female Terminal: Delphi # 15304711-L

I cut the old connector off and cut one of the wire ties that holds the wire bundle down so there is more room to connect the harness. I then crimped and soldered the terminals and inserted them into the new connector. So far everything is working good.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi i did the same but managed to cut the old connector off and clean off the melted plastic on the black cable. Bought a new connector and clicked the old terminals in and replaced the 30A fuse for Cooled seats and it worked for maybe a day.
Now its just clicks on and off but there is no melted connector and no heat Dealer says you still need a new module and to reprogram it to match the car. Anyone know if this is true statement.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts