Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2011 CTS coupe 2 door and the release on the back of the seat has broken and now the seat back won't come forward.
I've looked and can't see a way to get to what I assume is a cable mechanism that broke. Does anyone know how to get to the release
mechanism? I got the trim piece off the bottom rear of the seat and ended up breaking it, what a pain.
Any tips on fixing it? Thanks

·
Registered
2014 CTS COUPE Performance W/Navi
212 Posts
It should be a fabric loop in between the outsides of the cushions on each The seat back is two separate parts one half is the seat back the other is the seat back and the center where the console would be.. your only option is to unbolt the back seat back from within the trunk there should be 4 nuts on 4 bolts I want to say they are either 10- 11- or 12 MM NUTS TAKE THEM OFF AND UNBOLT THE BOTTOM BOLTS BENEATH THE SEAT BOTTOM AND THE WHOLE REAR WILL FLIP FORWARD THAT WAY YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEMI SERVICE IT..

·
Registered
2012 ctsv coupe
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just had the problem nd didn't find much help on line so I'll tell what I learned. First off removing the seat back is simple, the was a comment someplace to look on ebay to see what the inside of the seat back looks like, a good idea. you can see that it has two "hooks" on the top that hang the back in place, them four "tabs" that insert into clips in the steel seat frame. Knowing this you go to the bottom of the molded seat back (not bottom of the seat) and pull out, this assumes you are sitting in the back seat - pull it to you. As it releases lift the top up from the bottom to release the two top hooks. Set the back aside, (yep I had one of the brass looking clips stay on the back, not a problem, remove it carefully and put it back in the seat frame) now in front of you is your problem / solution. There is one cable from the release handle at the top of the seat that goes to junction, from there two cables go to each side of the seat's release. I would assume that very seldom does any of these cables fail, but simply stretch out of adjustment. Which is apparently what happened to my wife's car, so the fix is very simple and cost less than the fuel to get to the dealer. Assuming this is your problem, there are two adjusters for the cables, black plastic parts that have a clip in the middle that when you remove you can take the slack out of the cable by extending the housing then snap the clip back in place. While inside the seat I'd shoot a little lubricant to the pivot points of the arms the release. Make sure before you close everything up that both cables are snapped firmly into the junction. If you actually had a broken cable most of this applies to replacing the cable, you are in uncharted territory for me, but if a line mechanic can do it so can you! (hope its not the one on the right) I am sorry that I didn't take pictures of this, but I am willing to talk you through this, send me an email with your number and I'll call you, please suggest a time and your time zone. Good luck John

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Nice paragraph! Welcome to the forum!

Thank you for posting, but if you want anyone to read it, you need be break it into bites that people will read.

Notice the difference in these two posts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts