Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
W Bracket.jpg
I decided to remove front license bracket from my just purchased 18 XTS.

1 Before (2).jpg
After Bracket Removal
Whomever attached the bracket actually buggered it good. I didn't know until I removed the bracket!
There were actually 5 holes plus a pin hole where the screw tip just scratched the surface! I used epoxy to fill hole #5 (above top right screw hole) and used the touch-up on it and the pin hole.

Painted Plugs.jpg
3/16" Black Plastic plugs from Lowes.
I scuffed them slightly with a green Pad, cleaned with 90% Alcohol, and hit them with some spray primer.
This is the first coat of AC Delco matching Touch-up, I brushed on two coats before the clearcoat and dried overnight.
I also used a 3/16 drill bit to size the holes.

2 After (2).jpg
Much Better!
I actually thought of not buying the car because of the bracket!
If I had known it had been buggered I may not have.

20190601_135331.jpg
I wasn't sure how well the paint would adhere but I had to press hard to insert the plugs into the holes.
I was afraid the paint would just slide off the head of the plug but it's still Silver.
I'll let it cure for a week before I go through a carwash though!

BTW - It's Springtime in Kentucky so all the other spots are just bugs!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Woodoggie, nice looking XTS. I also have a 2018 XTS that is about to be shipped to me, and it appears that you and I have the opposite problem. My car is coming from Florida. I believe they don't require a front license plate there, but I live in Wisconsin where a front plate is required. As a result, I don't think my car has ever had a front license plate on it and does not even have the bracket on it. I have to decide whether to buy and install a bracket, or forego with it altogether and violate. I wouldn't be the first to run without a front plate here, but most people have them in place. Law enforcement seems to look the other way for Corvettes, but that may not be the case with a Caddy. 2018 Caddy Front.jpg

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
"Sorry officer, I bought the car and it didn't have the bracket, I ordered one but just didn't want to make holes in my bumper."
Of course, if it was me I'd be the first test case in a new "front plate scofflaw" crackdown with double fines!

The front is so much cleaner without the bracket though and I do like the Gray color.

I did find this on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LICENSE-PLATE-BRACKET-Tag-Holder-Mount-Hidden-Mounting-Holes-sHO-X-cadi-N-StO/323091018019?fits=Year%3A2018%7CModel%3AXTS&hash=item4b39b9b123:g:IgcAAOSw13ZaxvNm

·
Registered
95 Posts
"Sorry officer, I bought the car and it didn't have the bracket, I ordered one but just didn't want to make holes in my bumper."
Of course, if it was me I'd be the first test case in a new "front plate scofflaw" crackdown with double fines!

The front is so much cleaner without the bracket though and I do like the Gray color.

I did find this on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LICENSE-PLATE-BRACKET-Tag-Holder-Mount-Hidden-Mounting-Holes-sHO-X-cadi-N-StO/323091018019?fits=Year%3A2018%7CModel%3AXTS&hash=item4b39b9b123:g:IgcAAOSw13ZaxvNm
Thanks for the tip on the hide away mount!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The operative words in the eBay listing are: "Hidden Mounting Holes." None of the pictures included in the ad show it in a stowed (hidden) position. It's just an L bracket that mounts to the bottom of the front end.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The operative words in the eBay listing are: "Hidden Mounting Holes." None of the pictures included in the ad show it in a stowed (hidden) position. It's just an L bracket that mounts to the bottom of the front end.
I really don't care, I've taken care of my front bracket problem but...
[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/BOu4AIOtW2E?rel=0[/video]
This Video IS Included in the listing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
ccclarke, if you page to the last few pictures on the eBay ad, those pictures do clearly show the mounting bracket being tucked under the car, and also a picture of it in final storage under the car. This hiding action is shown better in the video that Woodoggie posted. The hidden mounting holes are just another nice feature of this bracket.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Nice job. I didn't have a front plate on my 'vette, don't have one on my Mustang and would not have it on the Caddy except the bracket was already there.
The plate does blend in better on the '13-'17 XTS due to the width of the bumper panel.
If I get pulled over for just the missing plate, my response will be, don't you have anything better to do?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you mean you have one for sale? If so, Color, Cost, shipping. Etc.
Or are you just ribbing me?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Yea, if I could I would remove all logos! This is my car, Damn them for putting their logo on it anyway!!
I love me some Cadillac logos.
I have stainless steel license plate frames with the Cadillac script and I'd have a Wreath and Crest plate if it were allowed.

Debadging is pretty much impossible since that's where they hide the sensors now.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
There was a site called bumperplugs.com that folks used to go to if they no longer needed a front license and the bracket or if they wanted to lower the license bracket by installing it upside down. The bracket ruined the look of the 2nd GEN CTS's so to relocate the license bracket they installed bumper plugs to cover up the original holes drilled by the dealer. The site bumperplugs.com still exists and they had plugs in the same colors that Cadillacs came in.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There was a site called bumperplugs.com that folks used to go to if they no longer needed a front license and the bracket or if they wanted to lower the license bracket by installing it upside down. The bracket ruined the look of the 2nd GEN CTS's so to relocate the license bracket they installed bumper plugs to cover up the original holes drilled by the dealer. The site bumperplugs.com still exists and they had plugs in the same colors that Cadillacs came in.
I looked, they were $35 and I didn't find the exact color "Radiant Silver Metallic" or GM Touch-Up called "Switchblade Silver Metallic" that matched the Cadillac Color code. (GAN, 17U, WA636R). I needed the touchup anyway and 4 plugs were $2.56 at Loews. As stated, I was concerned about Paint adhesion but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
t looks like the site has not kept current with all the GM colors. Changing license plate brackets was more common 10 years ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts